Not open for further replies.

puppyfat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Little
Seems like lately my paci has started to taste weird. It hasn't made me sick or anything (yet? *shudders*) but it doesn't taste... right. I wash it before and after each use and keep it in a jar. I rub it dry with a paper towel and let it air dry the rest of the way before storing it again. but the taste has been changing. I'm worried it's growing mold or something. It's making me afraid to use it because I don't want it to make me sick.

Anyone else have this happen? Does this mean it's time for a new one? I'd be sad to part with this one; Baby Pants discontinued it. :(

Last edited:
I think it is time for a new pacifier. :(

What is this ?
You are not being pacified !

Got any idea what your paci is made of - rubber ? plastic ? fiberglass ? nylon (like a dog bone - and maybe that is the solution to the problem) .
If it were made of glass there would not be those microscopic very tiny holes in the structure but you could hardly teeth the glass.
With most everything else unless you put your paci into a sterile kiln the tiny holes are places for good and bad things to spawn.
With rubber maybe it is deteriorating to the point it is like sucking on an old tire.
With plastic the atomic shelf life could be coming to an end after too many cleaning cycles.
Fiberglass - well you don't need that kind of fiber in your diet and the glass turns to indigestible celery tissue.
Which leaves us with nylon - dogs just love to chew on a nylon bone since it is like a magnet picking up all kinds of things dogs love.

So it is none of the above - thus the rubber teat in the paci ages with time especially if you are 24/7 sucker for pacification.

This could be as simple as you have an allergy to the content of the paci teat !

Go and get a new one and flavor (coat) it with honey or something that you just love to taste.
I don't think I have seen any paci's kept as heirlooms !

AND I have not seen any obituaries of Death by Pacifier so keep on sucking !

I think it's... IDK, it's a Nuk 5 nipple. I've had the pacifier since September of last year, but I use it pretty infrequently because I have to hide my use from my roommates. I've never had a problem with the taste before.

puppyfat said:
I wash it before and after each use and keep it in a jar.

1) What are you washing it in and or with?

2) Keeping it in a Jar?
Sealed or open?

What it is washed with may be reacting with the substance that it is made with.
If it is just hot water then it may not be getting "cleaned' and all that is happening is the bad jujus are just getting a good solution to live in and react with the substance that the Paci is made of. Even if it is "dried" when it is placed in a jar the air circulation is diminished (if it is sealed then in can become anaerobic very fast) and that grows the real bad nasty jujus.

I use mine and keep it in my bed side stand. The latex/rubber one went bad in about three months, and the nylon ones are just fine.

egor said:
1) What are you washing it in and or with?

2) Keeping it in a Jar?
Sealed or open?

What it is washed with may be reacting with the substance that it is made with.
If it is just hot water then it may not be getting "cleaned' and all that is happening is the bad jujus are just getting a good solution to live in and react with the substance that the Paci is made of. Even if it is "dried" when it is placed in a jar the air circulation is diminished (if it is sealed then in can become anaerobic very fast) and that grows the real bad nasty jujus.

I use mine and keep it in my bed side stand. The latex/rubber one went bad in about three months, and the nylon ones are just fine.

I keep it in a sealed jar. I wash it with dish soap and hot water. I'm not sure what other options I have for keeping it, 'cause I can't just leave it out-- it needs to be kept hidden. ;;

But it seems like the solution so far is a new paci. I'll have to say goodbye to Minnie Mouse.

You could try boiling it first and see if that takes care of it.
You could also soak it in a good mouthwash which should also get rid of any lingering germs.

If you already plan on getting rid of it you really have nothing to lose do you?

try putting it in boiling water for a few minutes and then let it air dry and cool off before using it again
if that doesn't work it's time for a new paci

If it's made how I'm thinking, so buy another. Boiling doesn't work, if nipple is outdated. I've a few pacis and never boil them, except before 1st use. If it get taste (paci has no taste as default,) so is time to replace it.

Once when mine was fairly new (nuk latex) it started to taste funny.
I let it rest in a solution of odol antibacterial mouth wash (the green one) overnight.
After that the nipple tasted like mint for two weeks but that diminished afterwards.#
Bad taste was gone too.

The new Odol is free of alcohol but i'm still not sure if it doesnt react in a bad way with the latex nipple.

i would put it in boiling water for a few minutes and then try again, if that doesnt work then u need a new one

I'll try the mouthwash idea and the boiling water idea. And if they don't work, then i'll get a new paci. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back