Retail Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinkyBoi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
They are inevitable. Can happen to anyone. And ruin our greatest of days. Retail nightmares!!!! Elaborate the utmost horrible, vile, rude, and at times inexplicably strange accounts of retail nightmares, whether customer or associate.

Good idea. My retail days were quite difficult in my early years. I was the manager on duty of a large electronics retailer store and I would regularly work the customer service counter. I always enjoyed the people that would walk up and as I was greeting them with the usual, "Hi, how are you today?" they would cut me off halfway through that short sentence and just say, "manager." I got so tired of this boorish behavior that I would say, "one moment please", walk around the corner, and then come right back out and say, "I'm the manager, how can I help you?"

I actually have too many awful memories to regurgitate as I've been filing those memories in the section of my brain that deals with deleting memories. So thankfully many of them have faded into the mist. However, at the time my coping mechanism was to write about it - I had actually started a little book on my computer about how horrible people can be in the retail environment. I sometimes look back on it and even now I'm shocked by what I read in terms of how horrible things were sometimes.

Now that I'm typing this I do recall one particular evening, I was closing up the store. We had a few customers milling around. It was week night, I had pulled something like a 10 hour shift after being in school earlier that morning (working 60 hours a week and taking 18 credit hour load at school), so I was already drained and the store had closed at 9, and it was about 9:20 by this point. I was standing at the front doors, keeping them cracked so that I could let the last customers checking out through the front door so they wouldn't have to walk out through the loading bay doors. While waiting for them I see a car pull up in the parking lot, and this woman starts to move towards the door. Standing at the door, I stopped her and politely informed her that we were closed and that I was just waiting for the last customers to check out and depart so we could lock up. She had a list of TVs in her hand and said that she wanted to come inside to price TVs. By this point all of our salesmen had left so it was just two or three of us handling the cashflow and closeup operations. I told her that the sales folks had left and that she could come back tomorrow, and I encouraged her to use our website to see current prices. I also offered her a flyer with our current prices, but she refused and said she wanted to look at the TVs. We had already killed the power to all the TVs so again, I told her to please come back tomorrow, that we were trying to lock up for the night. Then she started pointing at another employee behind me, growing increasingly belligerent at this point, and saying that maybe that employee could help her instead of me. I kept telling her no, you need to please come back tomorrow. We'd be happy to help you during business hours tomorrow. On and on this went for about 5 minutes before she finally threw the middle finger in my face and told me to go "f#@%king die". As she turned to walk back to her car, I said, "how mature of you." Oh those memories, now I need something to erase them haha

Right out of high school I worked in a Grant's department store. It was one of the first department stores (1966) to have a camera department, which was where I worked. There was one old grizzled man who would bring his Kodak film to be developed. I was told to always tell him it would be two weeks before it would come in, which seemed to satisfy him. We had to do that because when he first started coming in, the person I replaced had told him the normal time, three to five days. When it didn't come in, he took out a knife and chased her all through the store until he stabbed her in the back. After he got out of jail, he still came there to get his film developed. This was back in the day of Kodak Instamatics and all those wonderful 35 mm SLRs.

^ terrifying - and possibly the most horrible retail nightmare I've heard of yet.

Glad you survived to tell about this!

dogboy said:
Right out of high school I worked in a Grant's department store. It was one of the first department stores (1966) to have a camera department, which was where I worked. There was one old grizzled man who would bring his Kodak film to be developed. I was told to always tell him it would be two weeks before it would come in, which seemed to satisfy him. We had to do that because when he first started coming in, the person I replaced had told him the normal time, three to five days. When it didn't come in, he took out a knife and chased her all through the store until he stabbed her in the back. After he got out of jail, he still came there to get his film developed. This was back in the day of Kodak Instamatics and all those wonderful 35 mm SLRs.

Rather surprising he was allowed back in the store!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Everyone in this world should have to work in a public service / retail / sales / waitress or waiter for a few months of their lives. It'd make a huge difference in how they treat others. There will still be rude jerks, but hopefully it'll give people a better insight in what they are doing to people in these positions.

I have many different jobs that I'm currently doing. One of my jobs went from being a full-time job to a part-time one; and that is working at a car dealership. I absolutely hated working in sales. I kept getting promotions that effectively pulled me out of the sales department, unless I knew you, and you wanted me to sell you something. I wasn't on commission when I got out of sales, so I didn't care if I sold something or not. But they kept getting swamped and always needed me back in the sales area...I hated it...I could tell stories on how absolutely rude and mean people could be, for absolutely no reason...

Mattew said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Everyone in this world should have to work in a public service / retail / sales / waitress or waiter for a few months of their lives. It'd make a huge difference in how they treat others. There will still be rude jerks, but hopefully it'll give people a better insight in what they are doing to people in these positions.
I used to be the rude customer until I started working in retail at my first job (where I'm still at more than a year later) and I've learned soo much in regards to work ethic as well as treating others with respect, it was such an eye opening experience. But I do agree with you, everyone needs to experience customer service on the other side of the counter.

As a first responder I often see people at their worst moment possible. People often behave badly under such circumstances. Very few ever acknowledge us or update us on the outcome of the situation

I worked in retail for six months and HATED it. I met the rudest, dumbest, and most awful people I have ever seen. It is truly amazing just how horrid people can be to someone they have never met before. I could probably write a book on this but I will tell one or two tales.

So I was working the day before super bowl Sunday and the place is PACKED. Of course my scheduled break was over 2 hours late because we were so short on staff and a man and his wife come to the check out lane with about three carts worth of stuff. I was really running out of gas so I was not preforming at my best and the conveyor belt was backed up. The guy looks up to me and says "What are you a fucking idiot? Can't you see what the fuck you're doing you dumb ass?" I told him I didn't have a bagger and that I was doing the best I could so he said "I don't give to fucking shits. You get that fucking garbage in there you piece of shit or I am calling the manager."

Retail sucks. It sucks a lot.

AutumnFlame said:
I worked in retail for six months and HATED it. I met the rudest, dumbest, and most awful people I have ever seen. It is truly amazing just how horrid people can be to someone they have never met before. I could probably write a book on this but I will tell one or two tales.

So I was working the day before super bowl Sunday and the place is PACKED. Of course my scheduled break was over 2 hours late because we were so short on staff and a man and his wife come to the check out lane with about three carts worth of stuff. I was really running out of gas so I was not preforming at my best and the conveyor belt was backed up. The guy looks up to me and says "What are you a fucking idiot? Can't you see what the fuck you're doing you dumb ass?" I told him I didn't have a bagger and that I was doing the best I could so he said "I don't give to fucking shits. You get that fucking garbage in there you piece of shit or I am calling the manager."

Retail sucks. It sucks a lot.

That probably would have been my last day at work, right after I told him to fuck off.

I worked at an amusement park for nearly 3 years. While the vast majority of guests were fine, the ones that were bad, were outright HORRIBLE.

You had your typical people who yell at you for various crap (usually, it's about not bending the rules and allowing their too-short kid on the roller coaster) and plenty of stupid people. And while I will admit that the "What time does the 3:00 parade start?" stupid is harmless and mildly funny, when the guests are defying basic common sense and risking their life in ways that would totally win them a Darwin Award, it's just enraging and after dealing with people who, without going into full details, let's just say they did stupid crap this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqX3a385Qs, it was the one time I lost it and just ripped these guests to shreds. Easily the worst customer horror story I ever dealt with, worst day on the job by far, and I sincerely hope those guests got a lifetime ban.

Too many to recount: the time I almost got hit by a semi leaving the store on my bike after I bought diapers, the time a clerk mistook me for a girl and pointed me towards the female goodnites, the time someone thought I was stealing diapers and tackled me, but I think I have one that tops em all: the time in upstate New York. Basically, I'm from the Midwest and I have family scattered all across the country, from Hawaii to flordia, they're all over the USA, so sometimes I had to be dragged to an unfamiliar location for a family event. One of those times I was dragged deep into upstate New York and we stopped at a rest stop overnight, it was a 24/7 rest stop that was filled with many semi trucks in the parking lot and just as many drunk truckers roaming about. This was at around 9PM and we had been driving since this time yesterday so we wouldn't be late for whatever family event was going on this time. Being the 13 year old kid I was at the time, I was a bit stupid and I was seeking an adrenalin rush, so I wore a diaper and tried my best not to get caught (I should mention now that I had been wearing diapers for around 3 and a half years at this point and was pretty good about changing routinely). Well I had disregarded changing for around 12 hours at this point and logically, I was absolutely soaked (yes, back then I actually used my diapers instead of just using them as an accent to my fursuit). Back then we still had an old station wagon as our travel vehicle as we didn't want to damage our good truck, so we just drove a rusted oldsmobile and prayed that it would take us where we were going. So here I was, sitting in a beaten up Cierra, in the middle of god knows where USA, in a wet, almost leaking diaper, I needed a way out of this situation to change myself and eat something (everyone else was just gonna wait til breakfest and buy some mcdonalds from the on site resturaunt that had just been built). So I waited until everyone was asleep and I acted like I was sleeping in the front passenger seat, I must have waited two hours and now I was having a minor leak. So I kicked the door panel (if you kicked it just right it would temporarily disable the door ajar chime) and then opened it up and slid out with my diaper/supply bag then darted to the rest stop and went inside. Once inside, I went to the restrooms and laid down my change mat I had bought from a goodwill back home, then laid down and cleaned myself up. When I reached for a new diaper I found out that I was shit out of luck, I had used the last one, so here I am, laying on a vinyl change mat in a rest stop bathroom while half way through a diaper change. I realize that I have to go out there and buy a new pack of diapers, that is, if they even have some out there (this place was a trash fest, they didn't even have a drink cooler, just cardboard boxes of warm, flat drinks). So after I pack up my supplies, I go out there and try to locate any diapers, boy, was I in luck. This store had old stock to rival any corner family store, stuff dating back to before I was even born, all at crazy cheap prices, along with modern stuff right next door. I go and find a box to put some stuff in, and then start filling the crate full of things that I'm pretty sure you guys would covet if you could ever find them. I was putting packages of Plastic Pampers, some of those gender specific huggies, some early 90's depends, even some early attends (like, 81 or 82 era), and some other vintage treasures, then I bought a package of modern huggies for me to use. Now your probably thinking, what is nightmare about this, this sounds like paradise and I would pay to be there, well it was, until I got to the front checkout with a cardboard box of vintage diapers, and only $7.00 in my pocket. Thus started a negotiation war that would rival most stuff on reality tv shows about couponers, I finally talked the dude down to seven dollars and the hooded sweatshirt off my back, which I payed $50.00 for right before we left. So I finished diapering up, hid my finds in our small tool trailer (think of a covered trailer with some cupboards and shelves inside for tools, I crammed the finds into a locked cupboard and "lost" the key). Cut to the morning, about 5 miles down the road when someone asks where my sweatshirt went, I make up a lie about how I must have lost it and then spend the rest of the trip being chastised for being irresponsible. In other words, it was a retail nightmare since I lost my 50 dollar sweatshirt, and had to walk onto a showroom floor without any undergarments. And for the record, yes, I still have every thing I scored that night stored in a clost, but I don't want to haul it out and risk damaging it (I just like to keep it nice and safe).

I have worked retail for 15 years, along with volunteering at what we will just call a "historical place." So I have seen some crap in my day. (actually, I clean restrooms, so I suppose one could say I see crap EVERY day. :)

Probably the craziest thing I've seen would be the time we found a sawed off shotgun left on the bottom of a shopping cart.

I worked primarily at the front end of a Toys R Us for a little while. It was only for seven months, but all the stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back