Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a continence advisor

Default Saw a continence advisor

Hey everyone as the title says I recently saw a continence advisor
    she was working under the Australian group "caremmunity" and was pretty awesome. the short version is that she said I was pretty much doing everything right in regards to the incontinence and gave me advice on continuing to manage it.
    she also arranged for funding assistment with continence aids
    she also organized for me to get some samples which arrived 2 days later
    so currently I have some more Lille pullups in other sizes
    a small Lille tape on diaper (my supplier only had mediums)
    a ton of Lille booster pads
    2 molicare pullups
    2 molicare tape ons
    and next week im recieving some samples of abena products (both pullups and tape ons i believe the tape ons are S4)
    the molicare tape ons seem rather good but i have yet to use any of the products
    I will however say that Im probably going to end up using either just molicare tape ons or lille with boosters the price is a factor so ill need to do some math
    im rather fond of caremmunity as they have offered a lot of range and support with products so im very fond of that
    apologies for the awfully written post it is late
    please give any input on anything ive said or on any brands mentioned
    ive also never used a booster pad so can anyone give any advice in regards to using them the basics really ie positioning and whatnot
    thank you very much and feel free to ask any questions

I take it the continence adviser said that it's actually best for you to use diapers to manage your incontinence? It's alright if that is the case actually. I just don't like assuming anything that might be contradictory to what a professional says that's all. If the adviser really did say diapers are best then I can honestly say that yes Molicare is actually best for you I suspect given your size considering you fit into their smalls right? I usually go with plastic backed diapers over cloth backed because there's less chance of a leak (or mess) due to the plastic being more resistant to wear and tear actually. You see I'm 6'6" tall and I tend to walk long distances so a diaper I wear better be tough just because of the stress it has to go through while I'm walking or playing something full contact like football if it's going to do it's job. Cloth backed diapers always tear a lot easier then their plastic backed counterparts without exception from all the different diapers I have tried. I suspect that your activity level will not get any higher then say jogging right? If that's the case then Molicare is perfect for you because they are relatively cheap, they don't rip apart easily while jogging(provided you your activity level is that high in the first place), they have good absorbency, and good odor control. You're actually lucky as far as money goes because of your size because the only reason why I don't get Molicare myself is because there are better diapers in my size that fit my lifestyle better generally speaking that are even more cost effective for me.

I can imagine you're not to keen on the notion of plastic backed diapers because of the noise they make right? Well first off I would just suggest taking a plastic grocery bag and stuffing it in your pocket and when someone asks you about it (which may never happen I might add) just tell them you use a plastic grocery bag like a makeshift garbage bag (which could very well be the truth anyways) and that "explains" the reason why they heard a crinkle. Wearing diapers can be embarrassing for some but here's something that should be considered. If you're worried about people calling you a "immature baby" or something like that then let me ask you this question. How is it "immature" to not make a mess all over other peoples things by using diapers? Maturity is the ability to control one's emotions in any given situation not some backwards minded societal construct that diapers are for babies or older people. The reason why I chose to wear diapers is because I choose to not disrespect others with my condition in the healthiest way possible for myself and everyone else around me in that order.

When it comes to booster pads I would suggest trying to use a diaper without one first. Why? Booster pads are better for situations involving extended wearing of a diaper over longer periods of time such as a long car ride with no restrooms for long periods of time for example. Of course if you just want to not have to go get changed more often to save time then boosters are helpful as well for those situations as well. If you're going to wear a diaper for longer periods of time for any logical reason you can think of essentially boosters are best reserved for those reasons. I highly recommend that if that is going to be the case you use skin care products to avoid rash if your going to do that fyi. I use cornstarch baby powder as well as Petroleum Jelly to keep my skin rash free. Be advised the petroleum jelly is highly effective only if you use it right. You want to apply that to your diaper area immediately after taking a shower or bath because you just effectively sterilized yourself and the jelly will seal in your skin properly rather well. The reason why you want to do this right after a shower or bath is because if you just use it at every change you will seal in unpleasant bacteria on your skin and possibly aggravate any skin conditions you may have otherwise(unless you cleaned yourself in a shower because there's going to be no bacteria at that point). Essentially don't use it unless you literally just stepped out of a shower and got dried off and it will have amazing results.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will respond accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by accepted View Post
    I take it the continence adviser said that it's actually best for you to use diapers to manage your incontinence? It's alright if that is the case actually. I just don't like assuming anything that might be contradictory to what a professional says that's all. If the adviser really did say diapers are best then I can honestly say that yes Molicare is actually best for you I suspect given your size considering you fit into their smalls right? I usually go with plastic backed diapers over cloth backed because there's less chance of a leak (or mess) due to the plastic being more resistant to wear and tear actually. You see I'm 6'6" tall and I tend to walk long distances so a diaper I wear better be tough just because of the stress it has to go through while I'm walking or playing something full contact like football if it's going to do it's job. Cloth backed diapers always tear a lot easier then their plastic backed counterparts without exception from all the different diapers I have tried. I suspect that your activity level will not get any higher then say jogging right? If that's the case then Molicare is perfect for you because they are relatively cheap, they don't rip apart easily while jogging(provided you your activity level is that high in the first place), they have good absorbency, and good odor control. You're actually lucky as far as money goes because of your size because the only reason why I don't get Molicare myself is because there are better diapers in my size that fit my lifestyle better generally speaking that are even more cost effective for me.

I can imagine you're not to keen on the notion of plastic backed diapers because of the noise they make right? Well first off I would just suggest taking a plastic grocery bag and stuffing it in your pocket and when someone asks you about it (which may never happen I might add) just tell them you use a plastic grocery bag like a makeshift garbage bag (which could very well be the truth anyways) and that "explains" the reason why they heard a crinkle. Wearing diapers can be embarrassing for some but here's something that should be considered. If you're worried about people calling you a "immature baby" or something like that then let me ask you this question. How is it "immature" to not make a mess all over other peoples things by using diapers? Maturity is the ability to control one's emotions in any given situation not some backwards minded societal construct that diapers are for babies or older people. The reason why I chose to wear diapers is because I choose to not disrespect others with my condition in the healthiest way possible for myself and everyone else around me in that order.

When it comes to booster pads I would suggest trying to use a diaper without one first. Why? Booster pads are better for situations involving extended wearing of a diaper over longer periods of time such as a long car ride with no restrooms for long periods of time for example. Of course if you just want to not have to go get changed more often to save time then boosters are helpful as well for those situations as well. If you're going to wear a diaper for longer periods of time for any logical reason you can think of essentially boosters are best reserved for those reasons. I highly recommend that if that is going to be the case you use skin care products to avoid rash if your going to do that fyi. I use cornstarch baby powder as well as Petroleum Jelly to keep my skin rash free. Be advised the petroleum jelly is highly effective only if you use it right. You want to apply that to your diaper area immediately after taking a shower or bath because you just effectively sterilized yourself and the jelly will seal in your skin properly rather well. The reason why you want to do this right after a shower or bath is because if you just use it at every change you will seal in unpleasant bacteria on your skin and possibly aggravate any skin conditions you may have otherwise(unless you cleaned yourself in a shower because there's going to be no bacteria at that point). Essentially don't use it unless you literally just stepped out of a shower and got dried off and it will have amazing results.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will respond accordingly.
    she did indeed agree with my use of diapers for managing it. I have urge incontinence which can be hard to deal with and she understood we discussed products and made sure that I was doing everything right eg making sure I wasnt drinking 12 cups of coffee a day
    we also discussed general bladder health stuff like the frequency that I was going to the bathroom liquid intake pelvic floor muscle exercises that kind of thing for the time being its obvious that nothings changing so while im doing what I can the diapers are still a necessity and she understands that 100 percent and she also understood that the products I use are important.there is no use in trying to use a pullup or pad when its just going to leak through so im fine to use tape on diapers I made that obvious and she was absolutely fine having dealt with many people in the same situation

I have a 80cm waist meaning that I am able to fit into the small of some brands however thats at the limit of most brands small for instance the molicare super plus small has a limit of 80cm
    I did actually wear a molicare super plus for the first time today as of me writing this it hasnt been used yet however it was actually a little small for my liking it does fit but I think I might get a better fit with a medium so tomorrow I will call and see if I can get a sample of the mediums as well
    I was using Lille in size medium due to my previous supplier only carrying them however caremmunity arranged for a small Lille one as well for me to try it is worth noting that the sizing for Lilles small ends at 100 cm and the sizing for medium starts at 80 so I may just be used to using larger diapers
    truth be told Ive leaked through 2 of the Lille diapers so the plastic backed molicares seem a lot more appealing

the noise of the molicares isnt actually an issue at least not with the small ones I went out briefly in one and the only time I was able to hear noise from the diaper was just after id put it on and was wearing nothing else and even then it was rather slight. If I were to go out for a long amount of time id probably bring my backpack with me so that alone would probably cover up the noise

I do sometimes have issues with what I expect peoples opinions to be like on the topic of diapers but the thing is they arent that noticable from what I can tell. even then I wouldnt care if they were I said to the continence advisor Id rather have people say "gee that guy has big hips" rather than "gee that guy has pee running down his legs" Im not exactly wearing tights either.
    mentally the incontinence itself takes a toll anyway wetting my pants makes me feel like Im 2 years old and wearing diapers makes me feel like im 80 sometimes but its the only way I can get out.
    I turned 20 back in march and Ive spent a lot of the past 2 years being agoraphobic with the incontinence being a big cause and with anxiety also being a big problem they feed into each other a little I do sometimes make small outings but recently I had a large outing so the diapers are a lot better than the alternative. after having one accident in public and it being the worst night of my life I have to do everything to avoid it happening again

When I use a diaper I use a small amount of powder and thats all when I change I just use babywipes to clean off the area then put on a new one with powder again
    I havent yet had to spend an amount of time in a wet diaper but in the near future Im planning to go to the cinemas with friends so I may very well be in one for a while
    I said it before but I will probably just switch to using molicares though I might just get some boosters to finish off the last of the Lille diapers as I dont feel as secure as Id like to in them

On the 17th Im seeing my urologist again to go over the results of my urodynamics testing and probably talk about the next step depending on what the results are so ill probably make a post in regards to that
    I will also say that Im very happy looking at caremmunity as my previous supplier only stocked size medium lille products whereas caremmunity has a number of brands in every size and has been very very helpful
    thankyou very much for your post
    feel free to ask me any questions or make any comments
    I welcome any questions at all and thanks for the support

- - - Updated - - -

quick very very short update but it seems that apparently a very big flood was enough to make a small leak from the molicare while seated as im probably going to swich to mediums its not a huge problem and the price isnt much of a jump either

Urologist had to cancel my appointment since he got sick so now I could be waiting a few weeks
    now im just feeling depressed as hell there goes the last month of waiting for the appointment

Hi saix,
    I am sorry for the cancellation, but try not to feel depressed over it. It's only postponed for a few weeks. Try to put the waiting time to good use. Think of what you have already done in just the past few weeks time, you have made some huge strides in getting better IC supplies, and with getting out to meet with friends. Things are only getting better, so please try to not feel depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Hi saix,
    I am sorry for the cancellation, but try not to feel depressed over it. It's only postponed for a few weeks. Try to put the waiting time to good use. Think of what you have already done in just the past few weeks time, you have made some huge strides in getting better IC supplies, and with getting out to meet with friends. Things are only getting better, so please try to not feel depressed.
    Ive just been counting down the days to it for a month and it was a pretty big thing so Its frustrating for me especially since It was the most invasive test Ive had and probably had the most chance of showing something
    just feeling really awful today

later in the week I might be going out with friends again so there is that to look forward to but Im still kind of upset about this

Hello- I'm currently working on a project for a class from the National Science Foundation, based on incontinence. After reading your post, would it be possible to follow up with you? These questions would be involving what you currently do to manage any incontinence, and your past experiences in this area.
    If you have other questions, please feel free to message me and I'm more than happy to answer them.
    Thanks!
    Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by mcollin3 View Post
    Hello- I'm currently working on a project for a class from the National Science Foundation, based on incontinence. After reading your post, would it be possible to follow up with you? These questions would be involving what you currently do to manage any incontinence, and your past experiences in this area.
    If you have other questions, please feel free to message me and I'm more than happy to answer them.
    Thanks!
    Marshall
    I dont see why not however if your going to hang around the site it might be worth making an introduction thread

Thanks- I did, but now I'm just waiting for it to be approved.

Unfortunately I'm not able to pm yet since I just joined, but as part of the class we did develop a quick survey in case anybody is interested in quickly providing some anonymous feedback: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZQRYB5Y

If people would prefer to go via email, there is an option to provide that in the survey which should only take about one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by saix View Post
    she did indeed agree with my use of diapers for managing it. I have urge incontinence which can be hard to deal with and she understood we discussed products and made sure that I was doing everything right eg making sure I wasnt drinking 12 cups of coffee a day
    we also discussed general bladder health stuff like the frequency that I was going to the bathroom liquid intake pelvic floor muscle exercises that kind of thing for the time being its obvious that nothings changing so while im doing what I can the diapers are still a necessity and she understands that 100 percent and she also understood that the products I use are important.there is no use in trying to use a pullup or pad when its just going to leak through so im fine to use tape on diapers I made that obvious and she was absolutely fine having dealt with many people in the same situation

Usually a continence adviser will try to help you by not needing to use diapers unless there was a high probability that alternatives are somehow bad for your health. Medications always will have side effects that might very well not be worth it. For me I have mental health issues that don't need to be aggravated by certain medications for example. Chances are good that it's best to manage things with diapers at this point though I would definitely say that you should listen to your doctor over any advice I give because the doctor knows more about you personally and is better trained then me.

I have a 80cm waist meaning that I am able to fit into the small of some brands however thats at the limit of most brands small for instance the molicare super plus small has a limit of 80cm
    I did actually wear a molicare super plus for the first time today as of me writing this it hasnt been used yet however it was actually a little small for my liking it does fit but I think I might get a better fit with a medium so tomorrow I will call and see if I can get a sample of the mediums as well
    I was using Lille in size medium due to my previous supplier only carrying them however caremmunity arranged for a small Lille one as well for me to try it is worth noting that the sizing for Lilles small ends at 100 cm and the sizing for medium starts at 80 so I may just be used to using larger diapers
    truth be told Ive leaked through 2 of the Lille diapers so the plastic backed molicares seem a lot more appealing

This could be true. I myself can wear a large Northshore Care Supreme but the x-large actually fits me better. It's just the price tag on the bigger sizes goes up because more materials are used so it's worthwhile for you to at least use smalls to save money but it can be better to pay more for a bigger size depending on personal preference.

the noise of the molicares isnt actually an issue at least not with the small ones I went out briefly in one and the only time I was able to hear noise from the diaper was just after id put it on and was wearing nothing else and even then it was rather slight. If I were to go out for a long amount of time id probably bring my backpack with me so that alone would probably cover up the noise

The mediums will not be a issue as far as noise goes either I think. Also another thing about the noise. You still have a use for your underwear because wearing that over a diaper helps to keep the tapes in place along with muffling any noise even more so.(although this can get rather sweaty for doing that so it's not necessarily a good idea depending on how hot it is).

I do sometimes have issues with what I expect peoples opinions to be like on the topic of diapers but the thing is they arent that noticable from what I can tell. even then I wouldnt care if they were I said to the continence advisor Id rather have people say "gee that guy has big hips" rather than "gee that guy has pee running down his legs" Im not exactly wearing tights either.

That's why I use plastic backed exclusively myself. Honestly people who try to call me out for wearing a diaper (this has happened only once fyi) really do not like my response to their hypocritical immaturity on the spot in front of everyone. Someone took it upon themselves to make it well known in my neighborhood to let everyone know I have to wear diapers and I never miss a opportunity to make that bus driver regret that mistake. He does not even get a break when I'm not around because he gets to hear about it through everyone else just how disconcerting I can get when I get harassed like that. It's no one else's business what goes on in my underwear essentially. If someone tries to make it everyone's business I usually respond by saying "Well if you prefer that I make it a point to crap or leak all over your stuff alternatively then by all means I will stop wearing just for you." (yes I look people in the eye and say that when they try to harass me about that. If someone tries to tell me that I'm pushing it onto them I remind who it was that brought the subject up in the first place and tell them to not continue to talk about it to everyone else if they have a problem with it.)

mentally the incontinence itself takes a toll anyway wetting my pants makes me feel like Im 2 years old and wearing diapers makes me feel like im 80 sometimes but its the only way I can get out.
    I turned 20 back in march and Ive spent a lot of the past 2 years being agoraphobic with the incontinence being a big cause and with anxiety also being a big problem they feed into each other a little I do sometimes make small outings but recently I had a large outing so the diapers are a lot better than the alternative. after having one accident in public and it being the worst night of my life I have to do everything to avoid it happening again

Well like I said wearing diapers is not a sign of immaturity or age actually. Look at me. I have said in the past that I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 250 pounds right? I do not fit into the societal stereotype of someone who needs diapers for medical reasons when you look at me. Also notice this- does my profile say that I'm over 50? Nope obviously not so either I'm allegedly lying about my age (which can get me banned here technically if that where true which is not true at all) or I really am 38 years old. My physical appearance actually looks like someone in their late 20's actually. You see maturity is the ability to control one's emotions rather then be controlled by one's emotions. Don't be afraid to be yourself. You are a human being Saix and I will not judge you for that like others have. We may have disagreements (hypothetically speaking) but that does not mean you are a bad person. Go ahead and enjoy yourself a little and enjoy a movie with your friends. You look like you could use it.

When I use a diaper I use a small amount of powder and thats all when I change I just use babywipes to clean off the area then put on a new one with powder again
    I havent yet had to spend an amount of time in a wet diaper but in the near future Im planning to go to the cinemas with friends so I may very well be in one for a while
    I said it before but I will probably just switch to using molicares though I might just get some boosters to finish off the last of the Lille diapers as I dont feel as secure as Id like to in them

I would recommend using the smalls for nighttime use only(less movement so you will not tear it up which could save you a lot of money) and use the mediums in the daytime so you can be more comfortable(and not have it in the way as much). You see when you're about to have a accident don't try to move to much and just release as little urine at a time. That's what I do with my urge incontinence. I don't just cut loose completely if I can avoid it and I usually don't have leaks because of it. Most diapers can't take a full on void (even the best one's can't) but smaller bursts and letting the diaper absorb the urine works for me. Essentially just release just enough to make the urge go away or at least go down to manageable level then release in small amounts until the urge goes away for like 3 minutes in a small series of wettings. You're less likely to have a leak if you do that. Of course the boosters will help with how much it can hold so the diaper lasts longer. Also yes the small amount of powder is actually a good idea as it makes it harder for your diaper to absorb urine faster. Essentially don't clog it with powder.

feel free to ask me any questions or make any comments
    I welcome any questions at all and thanks for the support

when you use baby powder do you use cornstarch or talcum powder? Talcum powder can cause lung cancer if you inhale it (in certain amounts over time) so if you have ever smelled Talcum baby powder you where inhaling a carcinogen. Cornstarch is just as good if a tiny bit more expensive without the health problems. If anyone does not believe me then ask your doctor because that's where I'm getting this information from actually.

- - - Updated - - -

quick very very short update but it seems that apparently a very big flood was enough to make a small leak from the molicare while seated as im probably going to swich to mediums its not a huge problem and the price isnt much of a jump either

Yeah just release in as small amounts as possible until your comfortable again to avoid that problem like I described above. Plus you are exercising those muscles when you do that actually so it's possible to regain some control.