Thread: Cat Library

Default Cat Library

Every office should have one of these!!!
    A county office building in New Mexico set up a 'Cat Library' in the lobby.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/10/kitte...ry-new-mexico/

Workers can come into work, sign out a kitten, and take it to their office for the day. They say it's a great form of stress relief for staff, and that the program has been responsible for the adoption of 100 cats so far.

Damn, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Every office should have one of these!!!
    A county office building in New Mexico set up a 'Cat Library' in the lobby.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/10/kitte...ry-new-mexico/

Workers can come into work, sign out a kitten, and take it to their office for the day. They say it's a great form of stress relief for staff, and that the program has been responsible for the adoption of 100 cats so far.

Damn, I want one.
    That's a cool idea, especially the adoption part. It sounds quite creative. For me, I'd want a puppy library, but I suppose they take more care.

That's neat, I can see where it would be a stress release.

I heard about this on the radio. I think it is a great idea. I've also heard that this initiative has resulted in the successful adoption of a whole lot of kitties. Wonder if they will do a similar initiative for dogs? I'd love to go check out a few dogs

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    That's a cool idea, especially the adoption part. It sounds quite creative. For me, I'd want a puppy library, but I suppose they take more care.

Quote Originally Posted by shibapawz View Post
    I heard about this on the radio. I think it is a great idea. I've also heard that this initiative has resulted in the successful adoption of a whole lot of kitties. Wonder if they will do a similar initiative for dogs? I'd love to go check out a few dogs
    I love both cats and dogs. I think the rationale for cats instead of dogs is because (1) cats don't need as much attention as dogs. They're happy to just wander around and then lay down for a nap, and (2), dogs have way more need for attention, not to mention having to walk them several times a day. I'm not sure how much work you could get done with a dog in your office, especially if it was a really loud barker, or hyperactive. The colleague in the neighbouring office also might not appreciate it.

Personally, I work in a drop-in and occasionally people come in with dogs. They're always welcome in my office. I just have to work extra hard on focussing my attention on the person, because I'm always wanting to pat and play with the dog. It really brings out my unprofessionalism.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 12-Jun-2015 at 16:46.

Huh! I'm actually in New Mexico myself, so I might need to check this place out some time.

Being an animal lover myself, that's a really neat concept - both to relieve worker stress and to get some kittens into some good homes. I agree with Starrunner, though. Dogs and puppies tend to be very rambunctious creatures in comparison to cats and, although they're adorable, if they get hyper they tend to even add to the stress rather than take from it, whereas cats are generally perfectly content keeping to themselves for the day.

I love both cats and dogs. I think the rationale for cats instead of dogs is because (1) cats don't need as much attention as dogs. They're happy to just wander around and then lay down for a nap, and (2), dogs have way more need for attention, not to mention having to walk them several times a day. I'm not sure how much work you could get done with a dog in your office, especially if it was a really loud barker, or hyperactive. The colleague in the neighbouring office also might not appreciate it.

Personally, I work in a drop-in and occasionally people come in with dogs. They're always welcome in my office. I just have to work extra hard on focussing my attention on the person, because I'm always wanting to pat and play with the dog. It really brings out my unprofessionalism.
    I agree that it is easier in so many ways to do this with cats instead of dogs...but I still would love the doggie library idea too (even if it was a small one). I am with you too - when a colleague brings a dog into the office I can't do ANYTHING until the dog leaves. But I really think it is neat to see offices that have dogs. There was one place that I toured once in northern Virginia that allowed their employees to bring their dogs to work and let them roam through the office. They even had a kennel on site. Really neat!

This is an awesome idea. I'm not really a cat person but it would be kind of cool if everybody at the office had their own cat running around someplace. That being said, I actually bring my dog to work with me everyday. It's kind of become a mascot. People stop in all day just to see her.

It sounds like there's a large club of us who get easily distracted by dogs. Dogs gravitate to me anyway, and I'll jest get down on their level and play with them.