Buyers Remorse when buying diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishNut

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So, I finally managed to find some Abena X-Plus diapers in NZ, cost a sodding fortune.

Tapes are of a worse quality than the likes of Affective, Tender (cheap plastic backed things), they keep ripping off the wings, they don't stay up properly, and are generally very annoying.

I will be honest, I prefer cloth massively due to the whole sleep-on-stomach thing, and disposables just don't seem to work as well

Anyone else had similar issues?

Odd that you had issues with Abena? I spent six months in the land 'down undie' and was in Abena X-Plus a whole lot.
Those ones MAY be coming from China/Taiwan? Dunno? Some years ago, brands manufactured in Europe, had these EXACT issues.
ME PERSONALLY (just MY opinion, I has NO proof), I think salty sea air dissolves the adhesive they used? BMW used to have a similar issue with cars shipped to
America. European glue wouldn't hold up headliners after the trip across the ocean in addition to the HOT summer sun in our Southern states.

For someone who's a tummy sleeper, cloth diapers & plastic pants are likely going to be the most comfyest. You *could* wear disposables, but tuckin' the junk isn't fun...
I had the same issues with Molicare & Abena for years. Molicare in the US are manufatured domestically now ... so no sucky European adhesive issues.
Try ordering from a different vendor. Abena has a Pacific Rim factory produciing the line. I *THINK* it's in China, but it could be in Taiwan.
I didn't have issues in Australia with Abena in 2010 ... I realize that WAS five years ago, but still.

based on the price & timeline you mentioned, you're likely getting Abena from Europe or the U.S. rather than Asia.
Find a domestic reseller, or one in the AU. You'll be much hapeepee'r.

Most people rate Abena XPlus very high. Strange that you had difficulty with them? I wish they had a proper elastic waistband tho.

okram said:
I will be honest, I prefer cloth massively due to the whole sleep-on-stomach thing, and disposables just don't seem to work as well

Sorry to hear about your quality control issues.

But I too sleep on my stomach (mostly) and I've never really had to many problems with leaks.
I mean, sure they happen sometimes, more sleeping on your side, but I don't think they happen any more or less then sleeping on your back. Oh, and I wear plastic backed store brand disposables and have even been trying the plastic backed depends too.

Abena, has in my mind, been a skeleton of what they once were. This has been an on going occurrence ever since they went to the big train track like design indicators. They've been deteriorating each and every feature of the diaper. I dare say that Abena, to me, hasn't been such a high quality product. The tapes have always been an issue to me. The padding has always been poor, as it has always fell apart and deteriorated and collected at the center of the diaper. The plastic has been thinned out and weakened over time. The plastic gets stretched out so easily.

I haven't bought Abena products in years. Dry 24/7 is a lot better than Abena. I've purchased Dry 24/7 exclusively in the past year or so.

They continue making budget cuts towards the product disregarding the people that actually use them outside of institutional use. They are focused on what institutions demand in costs, therefore, you get cheaper and cheaper product.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
it has always fell apart and deteriorated and collected at the center of the diaper. The plastic has been thinned out and weakened over time. The plastic gets stretched out so easily.

I would agree with that. After wearing for any length of time, there's no padding in front, it has all crumbled and is now piled up in the crotch, and the back seat is breaking down too. The first tape tends to pop of the second, and the second tends to stretch and tear the plastic on the front panel. :(

As MeTalMaNN and bambinod probably remember, I used to defend Abena religiously. Not so anymore! They have cut costs in recent years, thus gone down in quality and I recently experienced it first hand while riding my motorcycle. Never have had a problem with the tapes but the padding breaks apart, falls down the front and clumps horribly. Wicking seems to be hit & miss, one time the diaper has absorbed everything from front to back, the next time it leaks when hardly any padding is wet. Personally Bambino Bellissimos are my go to diaper when ultimate absorbency is a must! Dry 24/7's are really good too!

I really love my Bambino Classicos. I sleep on my stomach and have no problems with them, but then again I am not well endowed.

I don't know that I'd call it "buyer's remorse", per se, but have I had bad experiences with certain diapers? Absolutely! That's just part of trying new things, though. If you don't try, you'll never know what works best--or doesn't work--for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back