Thread: Power Mac G5 Blu-Ray

Default Power Mac G5 Blu-Ray

I was wondering if anyone knows of an IDE blu-ray drive that would work in an old Power Mac G5. I may be able to get some kind of converter to fit a SATA drive in but my main concern is whether I'll be able to find any drivers for Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8). Leopard hasn't been supported in YEARS so I don't know how much support it would have for these things.

Does anyone know of a model of blu-ray drive (preferably a blu-ray burner) that would be supported in Mac OS X Leopard?

I don't think that you would have an issue with finding a drive so much as the software. You will need to find some 3rd party software for Blu-Ray movies, as Mac OSX 10.5 doesn't have native Blu-Ray support (to my knowledge anyways). Additionally, it would probably be easier to find a SATA Blu-Ray drive and get an IDE to SATA converter. Even if you did find a Blu-Ray drive that had an IDE connection, it would probably be very slow compared to what you can get nowadays, and probably much more expensive than a newer one.

As for software, it really depends on what all you want to do with the drive (movies, files, etc) and what you want to spend.

It seems IDE blue ray drives don't exist, i think Blue ray drives where made after the switch from IDE connectors to SATA connectors. However I know you can get IDE to SATA adapters.

For the software part, I'm not sure if you already have the OS installed (operating system) but you can always download it. I know a lot of the drivers already come with the operating system. however i don't think you need drivers for the Blue ray drive since it can read the disk to install the operating system.

I hope this helps.

Blue was around in 2005-06, it was just not widely used, a USB blue ray drive should work on any new world mac (I've gotten it to work on my G4 and G3 iMacs).

Thanks for the replies but never mind. the G5 I got doesn't appear to work. I tried a few things and it looks like a dead motherboard or CPU(s).

Let me know if you need parts or another machine- I've got a spare or two