Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
(Reposting from a recent blog at the suggestions of other members)

I was browsing Walmart.com when a file suddenly started downloading on my computer. It led me to a blank web page, and the recent downloads bar at the bottom (I use a Chromebook) disappeared. When I went to delete it from the rest of my files it said it was zero bytes. Should I be concerned about it being a virus/malware?

I did contact Walmart about it. As Chromebooks come with built-in virus protection, I haven't really found any apps to scan my computer to check it. I found some to check the url or file, but the suspicious link (I'm assuming it's a link?) is no longer working so it can't be scanned. (I accidentally clicked it again while trying to copy it from my history.)

My computer is still working fine, so I'm only really concerned about my identity or parents' credit card information being compromised; I went ahead and did a PayPal transaction yesterday.

I wouldn't worry about the link. It's probably a mistake on Walmart's part. It also doesn't look like an attack. If the file is zero-size, it won't do anything.

I've observed that Chrome sometimes gives me a blank page (about:blank) when downloading files, but I've never gotten a zero-size file. Perhaps you somehow accidentally initiated a download and it failed?

I have little clue of what really happened, however. Nonetheless I still think you're safe.

Seconding what Embrace said, sounds like some good old server derp to me. I'd guess it was meant to just serve the page as normal, but something messed up and it accidentally started trying to send you the page as a download or something, then stopped. Unless you see any signs of anything abnormal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Programmatic said:
Seconding what Embrace said, sounds like some good old server derp to me. I'd guess it was meant to just serve the page as normal, but something messed up and it accidentally started trying to send you the page as a download or something, then stopped. Unless you see any signs of anything abnormal, I wouldn't worry about it.

The one thing I'd like to add, just to be more specific, was that when it happened, I'd clicked off of an item and went back to the search results. It was normal for maybe around 5-10 seconds before the download occurred. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

KimbaStarshine said:
The one thing I'd like to add, just to be more specific, was that when it happened, I'd clicked off of an item and went back to the search results. It was normal for maybe around 5-10 seconds before the download occurred. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Not very likely to make a difference I wouldn't have thought, could have just been some javascript which went off to load some content. Like I said, as long as you haven't noticed anything else you're probably fine.

The only difference I've noticed is a slight change on one job-search site I use; it seems to not always alert me to new postings relevant to my search. But that only started happening after I cleared my cookies. Otherwise, my computer seems fine.

thingywhat said:
That sounds unrelated. Sites update their logic quite commonly, and if it isn't always alerting you now when it used to, it may either be a bug on their part, or the powers that be may have affected their email deliverability if enough emails from them are marked as spam.

What it sounds like happened was a redirect accident. Sometimes people create forms with JavaScript and send them with some information attached. (Like search values) If this ran without any information (So, accidentally, likey the result of programmer error), since, IIRC, Wal-Mart's site runs on Node.js, common behavior here would be a blank page.

If the file was not supposed to be visited directly in the browser, the dissipation could be attachment by default, which would make you download it.

tl;dr - I am very sure you are fine.

Actually, I don't get email alerts, it simply says ''[number] new'' when I visit the page. But anyway, it seems to be back to normal now.

I experienced another weird download. I had just signed up for an account on a game site when something titled ''blank.mp4'' downloaded. I deleted it without opening it.

If you're still concerned about the phantom downloads, you could try searching and posting in Google's official Chromebook Help Forum. I don't have much experience with Chrome OS, so perhaps they can help you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back