Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: The Power of Nature

  1. #1

    Default The Power of Nature

    This evening I sat out on my porch watching a massive thunderstorm rolling in. I watched the clouds blow by, I watched the "pieces" of the thunderstorm cloud move in - the wall cloud, the rain base, etc. I thought about how this process is just so amazing. I watched and heard the wall of rain coming in. I felt the calming coolness of the rain as it blew in after a hot, muggy, sticky day. I thought about how this powerful event is a balancing of energy.

    And I nearly cried.

    It was so moving. Sometimes I watch these events unfold and I think about how insignificant my problems are, how myriad my existence is. I thought about how the world will go on regardless of what happens to me and how it will bring its beauty to everyone who pays attention to it.

    While I write this I sit and listen to some of my favorite songs and I'm even moved by the physics involved in something so simple to bring me great joy. At times I've credited my music with saving my life. It stuns me how the simple collision of air particles compression under the movement of a cone can trigger such emotion.

    I just wanted to get that out there. Does anyone ever have these moments? If so, feel free to share them.

  2. #2

    Default

    I agree: thunderstorms are amazing. I have had the privilege of watching thunderstorms form up in the mountains of the western part of the U.S. and I think that is even more amazing: to watch them come over the peaks and send the lightning out in all directions--or to see a double rainbow up against a mountain peak. It is also wondrous to be on a mountain road and have lightning flash and strike BELOW you, altitude-wise. Nature is truly powerful!

  3. #3

    Default

    Wow! That sounds just amazing! I've never been able to see the Rockies, let alone leave my State

    So much of it has fascinated me for a long time. I love to photograph the spectacles whenever I can. I've got a nice collection of amazing lightning shots.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by shibapawz View Post
    Wow! That sounds just amazing! I've never been able to see the Rockies, let alone leave my State

    So much of it has fascinated me for a long time. I love to photograph the spectacles whenever I can. I've got a nice collection of amazing lightning shots.
    Thinking about what you've said. As small and numerous as we humans are, we may also be the most important part of the world. It's us humans who can not just experience the storm, but sense its wonder. I watch my wonderful golden retriever, and as smart and intuitive as she is, she's simply afraid of the storm. She stays close to us for protection.

    But you have connected it to the wonder of sound and music. I'm a church music director and in my prayers to the choir, I thank God for the gift of sound, hearing and the complex mystery of music. The world is still full of mysteries and I'm more grateful for that, than many of the answered questions.

  5. #5
    MichaelWeston

    Default

    That sounds amazing! I live next to a mountain and I can see thunderstorms get stuck up on the mountain, almost never make it to me. Very cool to watch though.

  6. #6

    Default

    Shibapawz, what an excellent thread. I will share one of the most profound moments I have experienced in nature. It was on one of my many trips to Colorado. I was driving in the State park near Pikes Peak. I found a lake in the mountains with Pikes Peak visible in the distance. It was brilliantly sunny but cool. I walked to the shore and sat down and listened. You could hear the wind rustling the leaves of the Aspen trees, and the gentle lapping of water against the stones. And that was it! No people, no cars. Just the quiet sounds of nature against a majestic background. For just a moment, it felt eternal.

    Wow! Anyway, that is my peacful place.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    But you have connected it to the wonder of sound and music. I'm a church music director and in my prayers to the choir, I thank God for the gift of sound, hearing and the complex mystery of music. The world is still full of mysteries and I'm more grateful for that, than many of the answered questions.
    I too have laid out in my prayers my thankfulness for such a simple gift, and for all of my senses. As you mentioned before the gift of sense and our ability to understand the wonder is something that I am eternally thankful for - what a gift!




    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophy View Post
    That sounds amazing! I live next to a mountain and I can see thunderstorms get stuck up on the mountain, almost never make it to me. Very cool to watch though.
    I bet that is awesome to watch! For some reason storms near me don't always make it here so its fun to watch the thunderstorms off in the distance!




    Quote Originally Posted by Little2Roo View Post
    Shibapawz, what an excellent thread. I will share one of the most profound moments I have experienced in nature. It was on one of my many trips to Colorado. I was driving in the State park near Pikes Peak. I found a lake in the mountains with Pikes Peak visible in the distance. It was brilliantly sunny but cool. I walked to the shore and sat down and listened. You could hear the wind rustling the leaves of the Aspen trees, and the gentle lapping of water against the stones. And that was it! No people, no cars. Just the quiet sounds of nature against a majestic background. For just a moment, it felt eternal.

    Wow! Anyway, that is my peacful place.
    Thanks for sharing Deke! I do the same thing when I travel to one of my favorite rivers. I'll just sit on the bench nearby and listen to the water glide by, and its even fun to watch the occasional coal train run down the line beside the river.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Thinking about what you've said. As small and numerous as we humans are, we may also be the most important part of the world. It's us humans who can not just experience the storm, but sense its wonder. I watch my wonderful golden retriever, and as smart and intuitive as she is, she's simply afraid of the storm. She stays close to us for protection.

    But you have connected it to the wonder of sound and music. I'm a church music director and in my prayers to the choir, I thank God for the gift of sound, hearing and the complex mystery of music. The world is still full of mysteries and I'm more grateful for that, than many of the answered questions.


    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophy View Post
    That sounds amazing! I live next to a mountain and I can see thunderstorms get stuck up on the mountain, almost never make it to me. Very cool to watch though.
    Yes it does, I'm gonna be honest I'm mostly a home body due to the fact that I don't have a car.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Little2Roo View Post
    Shibapawz, what an excellent thread. I will share one of the most profound moments I have experienced in nature. It was on one of my many trips to Colorado. I was driving in the State park near Pikes Peak. I found a lake in the mountains with Pikes Peak visible in the distance. It was brilliantly sunny but cool. I walked to the shore and sat down and listened. You could hear the wind rustling the leaves of the Aspen trees, and the gentle lapping of water against the stones. And that was it! No people, no cars. Just the quiet sounds of nature against a majestic background. For just a moment, it felt eternal.

    Wow! Anyway, that is my peacful place.
    That sounds awesome. I had a very similar experience when I visited the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. About a half mile off the main road so no cars, no people, and no sound of any kind. The Tetons were off in the background breaking a perfectly blue sky. The trees completely surrounded the lake protecting it from the wind. The lake itself mirrored the entire background with exacting detail making for a very surreal experience.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KittyninjaW View Post
    Yes it does, I'm gonna be honest I'm mostly a home body due to the fact that I don't have a car.
    There's nothing wrong with being a homebody! I consider myself one too - but you don't have to go far to appreciate these things. I was just out on my porch of my apartment. Nature has a habit of bringing the beauty to you when you least expect it and regardless of where you might be.



    Quote Originally Posted by arcituthis View Post
    That sounds awesome. I had a very similar experience when I visited the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. About a half mile off the main road so no cars, no people, and no sound of any kind. The Tetons were off in the background breaking a perfectly blue sky. The trees completely surrounded the lake protecting it from the wind. The lake itself mirrored the entire background with exacting detail making for a very surreal experience.
    I would love to go to the Grand Tetons. They are on my bucket list - and I've seen some stunning photographs of the area. Of course I'd have to visit the wonder of Yellowstone while I was over that way too!

Similar Threads

  1. Nature vs Nurture
    By Drifter in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2014, 01:59
  2. The Nature of Justice
    By IamGod in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2012, 06:48
  3. I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
    By AEsahaettr in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2012, 03:13
  4. Nature Pics
    By Siege89 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2009, 19:26
  5. Nature Vs. Nurture?
    By Nicky in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 25-Apr-2009, 03:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.