Raspberry Pi/Arduino Summer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwearer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello all! I'm not really new here, but I'm trying to become more active.

I'm looking for a fun summer electronics project!

Since I got home from school for the summer I've been pretty bored, so I started looking up an old interest--electronics! I had one of those electronics kits for kids when I was younger. Now I pretty much know nothing on the hardware side (I know C++ and am currently learning Python), but I know that I'm going to buy a Raspberry Pi 2 and an Arduino starter kit and make something! Any suggestions for good, moderately easy projects?

I'm a long-time electronics hobbyist who has somehow managed to avoid getting an Arduino--though I've done plenty with other MCUs and embedded platforms. If you're just getting started with electronics, though, I might recommend a good book to go along with your Arduino: Practical Electronics for Inventors, by Paul Scherz. It assumes very little, makes liberal use of easy-to-understand analogies, and offers just a ton of immediately practical advice and examples. You'll like it, I promise. It's my favorite electronics text of all time.

It really helps if you pick something you actually want/would use. We can suggest all kinds of random make work projects, but it's way more fun if you are working towards a larger thing that you actually have a use for, even if you are only working incrementally/doing a small part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back