Obscure bands that you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitterdafoxy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
What obscure bands do you like, i was dissipointed when I found out that this hasn't been discussed here before, so I made the poll like I'm famous for :)?
Here's my personal list:
1. Derrick May
2. The Verve
3. Sigue Sigue Sputnik
4. David Foster
5. Cream (anyone over a certain age probably won't think their that obscure).

Cream is a good selection. I'd agree that for the older generations, it was commonplace as they were a defining band. However, to us younger folks most music of that era can be considered obscure. I, however, listen to nothing but prog rock bands from the 1970s.
Some of my favorites as of late:
1. Gerry Rafferty
2. Gentle Giant
3. Van der Graaf Generator
4. Spock's Beard (more of a recent band)
5. The Nice

Wonder if anyone else out there knows these?

This time of year as we approach summer, I start thinking about my years in college and the great bands I listened to. So yes...and I'm not sure Cream is obscure, but...

Cream
Vanilla Fudge
Eric Anderson
Buffy St.Marie

Alestorm? Not sure how obscure they are or aren't, but i like them, and I don't hear about them much

1.Split Enz (They were more popular in NZ)
2.The Aquabats
3.Hey Ocean! (Current but not really played on the radio)
4.Pixies
5.The Specials

shibapawz said:
Cream is a good selection. I'd agree that for the older generations, it was commonplace as they were a defining band. However, to us younger folks most music of that era can be considered obscure. I, however, listen to nothing but prog rock bands from the 1970s.
1. Gerry Rafferty
2. Gentle Giant
5. The Nice

Gerry Rafferty is really good, Baker Street was my favorite song as a young child. Another band I like (which I'm 99% sure nobody has heard of is "The Refreshments", they did some music in the late 90's and then kinda dissapered.

kitterdafoxy said:
Gerry Rafferty is really good, Baker Street was my favorite song as a young child. Another band I like (which I'm 99% sure nobody has heard of is "The Refreshments", they did some music in the late 90's and then kinda dissapered.

Baker Street and Right Down the Line got me through some tough times! Glad someone else knows of this talented artist. Although as I soon found, Baker Street and Right Down the Line are just the tip of the iceberg. :cool: Haven't heard of The Refreshments though. Sad how some bands pop up and disappear. But at least their mark is forever made for all to enjoy.

That saxophone is what made that song! :biggrin:

Acid Reign - UK thrash heroes from way back when, recently rebooted after 24 years away!

ShippoFox said:
Alestorm? Not sure how obscure they are or aren't, but i like them, and I don't hear about them much

Sottish pirate metal!!! Yay!

For those of you all who have Baker Street stuck in your head:

[video=youtube;Fo6aKnRnBxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM[/video]

Now i know who Alestorm is one of their songs was on Lazytown LOL You Are A Pirate-Lazy Town: http://youtu.be/SLMJpHihykI and I also know Baker Street just didn't know who it was by.

I really like My Brilliant Beast, Even Rude, and Ghoulio, when it comes to obscure bands.

Not exactly a band, but Lou Pallo is really good, and also an awesome person. He is a member of the Les Paul trio, so I think his name is way more obscure than his music is.

That is a hard question. I like LOTS of different music.
Some bands I love, others like and listen to a lot, bands I know of and like some songs but don't really follow, ect, ect, lol.

Well here is list of (to some that) could be some strange, odd, obscure.

Halestorm (I love Lzzy) Maybe not obscure now, but loved them forever.
The Pretty Reckless Again, Maybe not obscure now, but loved her (Taylor Momsen) forever
She and Him (Zooey Deschanel, who is hella cute)
All Girl Summer Fun Band
Dramarama / John Easdale
Republica
BabyMetal - just cause they are soooo freakin cute, even thou I cant understand a word of it, but they rock, lol!

And then of course there are plenty of bands that would probably be obscure to you if you didn't like that type of music like Punk, Metal, ect.

I actually first heard of Alestorm from someone who was a member here a long while ago. xD Though she left or something at some point

shibapawz said:
1. Gerry Rafferty
2. Gentle Giant
5. The Nice

I was very much a fan of prog rock in the 70s and still listen to it today. I also like a recent artist, Steven Wilson whose material reminds me of 70s
prog rock.

lgmuffin said:
I was very much a fan of prog rock in the 70s and still listen to it today. I also like a recent artist, Steven Wilson whose material reminds me of 70s
prog rock.

I'll have to look him up! I've been reading these other bands hoping to find something I can relate to haha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back