Not open for further replies.

Milko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
You may be staring at the title wondering what Milko's on about this time, well let me fill you guys in:

today I was in a very creative mood and I decided to try creating the opening titles for a movie out of baby powder!

Let me explain. First of all, I got this inspiration from watching an episode of "The Quatermass Experiment" which is an old British sci-fi drama from the early 1950's.
After watching the opening sequence, I decided to have a crack at trying to achieve the same effect using random bits and bobs I have lying around my room.

I first used a piece of black card to draw the titles on:

Then, I began to cut out the letters using a razor blade:

After a while, I got all the letters and I put the sheet onto a second piece of card:

Next, I sprinkled baby powder over the bottom piece of card, and then placed the one with the cut-out letters on top:

It was OK, but it didn't produce quite the effect I was after. So, I put plastic wrap on the bottom piece of card (after I had flipped it over: it's really hard to get the power off)
anyway, then, I placed the card with the cut out letters on the other one. Then, I sprinkled the baby powder on the both, so the powder would go through the gaps in the letters and make a pattern on the bottom card:

Then, I filmed it and blew away the baby powder. I reversed the footage in Final Cut on my computer and exported it, so it looked like the powder was rushing in to form the letters. Unfortunately, I can't upload the video but here are some stills of the final product:

Unfortunately, the text got garbled a bit, but it still worked okay :)

Let me know what you think! I do this kind of stuff quite often so let me know if you want me to post more of it. :)

-I ONLY REMEMBERED AFTER WRITING ALL THIS THAT IMAGES AREN'T WORKING AT THE MOMENT. I WILL EDIT THE POST WITH THE IMAGES AS SOON AS THE BUG IS FIXED :)-

Milko said:
You may be staring at the title wondering what Milko's on about this time, well let me fill you guys in:

today I was in a very creative mood and I decided to try creating the opening titles for a movie out of baby powder!

Let me explain. First of all, I got this inspiration from watching an episode of "The Quatermass Experiment" which is an old British sci-fi drama from the early 1950's.
After watching the opening sequence, I decided to have a crack at trying to achieve the same effect using random bits and bobs I have lying around my room.

I first used a piece of black card to draw the titles on:

Then, I began to cut out the letters using a razor blade:

After a while, I got all the letters and I put the sheet onto a second piece of card:

Next, I sprinkled baby powder over the bottom piece of card, and then placed the one with the cut-out letters on top:

It was OK, but it didn't produce quite the effect I was after. So, I put plastic wrap on the bottom piece of card (after I had flipped it over: it's really hard to get the power off)
anyway, then, I placed the card with the cut out letters on the other one. Then, I sprinkled the baby powder on the both, so the powder would go through the gaps in the letters and make a pattern on the bottom card:

Then, I filmed it and blew away the baby powder. I reversed the footage in Final Cut on my computer and exported it, so it looked like the powder was rushing in to form the letters. Unfortunately, I can't upload the video but here are some stills of the final product:

Unfortunately, the text got garbled a bit, but it still worked okay :)

Let me know what you think! I do this kind of stuff quite often so let me know if you want me to post more of it. :)

-I ONLY REMEMBERED AFTER WRITING ALL THIS THAT IMAGES AREN'T WORKING AT THE MOMENT. I WILL EDIT THE POST WITH THE IMAGES AS SOON AS THE BUG IS FIXED :)-

That's a neat idea and I believe I've seen the movie you're talking about. I think it's a technique that a number of movies used, back in the day before computer graphics. It must have been fun doing and making it work.

dogboy said:
That's a neat idea and I believe I've seen the movie you're talking about. I think it's a technique that a number of movies used, back in the day before computer graphics. It must have been fun doing and making it work.

Yeah, it was :)
I've just read my post through and it's a bit hard to visualise without the images but hopefully I'll get them up soon. I love trying to create effects like this without the use of computers. It's always more fun and produces a unique effect if you do something physically.

Milko said:
Yeah, it was :)
I've just read my post through and it's a bit hard to visualise without the images but hopefully I'll get them up soon. I love trying to create effects like this without the use of computers. It's always more fun and produces a unique effect if you do something physically.

There's something to be said for having physical effects. I think we all remember Steven Spielberg's giant mechanical Tyrannosaurus Rex in the first Jurassic Park. No animation there!

Sounds pretty cool! Might we be able to get a peek at your handywork?

Cool, I've used baby powder along with some plastic to add a bit of extra sensory experience to my artwork, it's cool and definitely can mask the smell of sharpies and pens.

kitterdafoxy said:
Cool, I've used baby powder along with some plastic to add a bit of extra sensory experience to my artwork, it's cool and definitely can mask the smell of sharpies and pens.

I love the smell of permanent markers and sharpies :)

- - - Updated - - -

shibapawz said:

Has Moo sorted out the pictures bug yet? I also have some credits for Nineteen Eighty-Four based on the 1954 TV adaption of it that I could post on my youtube channel.

- - - Updated - - -

shibapawz said:

Ok, here's a video of my Nineteen Eighty-Four titles. I created it with having a black sheet of fabric on my floor and then spraying a can of compressed air upside-down so it sprayed air vapour and then I filmed it, slowed it down and overlaid titles onto it.

[video=youtube;emfAjdvSHzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emfAjdvSHzI[/video]
The quality is pretty bad since I exported the video in 320*240 so my 15 year old Power Mac would export the video quicker.. Also the music is taken from the 1954 BBC-TV production.

Last edited:
Very cool!!! Thanks for posting! Professional work - and a great choice with George Orwell - my favorite author! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back