Thread: spread the love kill the hate stop suicide

Default spread the love kill the hate stop suicide

Hey I've recently seen a lot of posts on suicide I want to help show we care about everyone here do the rules are simple no negativity say something to someone or to every one spread the love

- - - Updated - - -

You will live on with happyness

I've been dealing with my own depression for several years. Lots of people are dealing with it too. Has seemed like when you needed help from friends and loved ones no one is available to help or they down play your feeling. I have had a psychologist for 2 years that I can call anytime I want.

But the best way to feel better FAST is to help yourself. No one person can be expected to "Rescue" you from your feelings all the time. It seems like you can be lost in unwanted thoughts. But every dark has its day, and every storm runs out of rain (Gary Allen song). Lol

If there were no suffering in the world then there'd be no compassion
    Last edited by modeltoy1; 23-May-2015 at 17:37.

Heh maybe some of those posts have something to do with me
    To put it bluntly though, there's only so much help a faceless bunch of strangers can give..
    Last edited by Milko; 24-May-2015 at 07:35. Reason: wanted to re-phrase the second sentence

My name is Rob.

I attempted suicide more than forty years ago when I was sixteen. I was home alone again on a late Saturday night while everyone else was out for the evening. I had just mixed alcohol with drugs and was waiting to see what the effects would be like. I was facing the end and I was scared. Would it be painful? What was death going to feel like? Maybe it would just be a peaceful ending to a miserable existence.

Unexpectedly, my sister arrived home with her friends. The concert they were supposed to attend had suddenly been cancelled and they returned home. When they discovered what had happened, they called 911 and I was taken to the hospital. I lived through it.... but at the time, I thought it was just prolonging the misery and the inevitable conclusion of suicide. I was never meant to be happy.

Dear Rob.

A night will be coming up shortly when you will have the opportunity to end all this pain. These feelings have always been up and down, but there is a consistent feeling that you're a failure, that people don't care about you, and that you don't have anything to offer. More than anything, you don't believe things can get any better.

It will be an emotional time. You will be terrified at the prospect of death because you can't comprehend what it will be like, but it won't stop you because it can't be any more painful than living. Facing the unknown is preferable to facing this miserable existence.

As with any suicide attempt, I wish I could just ask you to delay the attempt for one more day. These feelings change, and although your desire to keep living isn't very strong, the desire to end your life won't always be as strong. Your thoughts will change slowly from desperation and despair to a feeling that things could potentially get better.

A school environment can be a terrible existence for young people who are sensitive and thoughtful. You feel like you don't fit in, often feeling isolated and 'different' from the other students. We don't think in standard ways and have different interests that usually aren't part of the curriculum, and it all just amplifies your loneliness. Although you were realizing you were gay, you denied this part of yourself and tried to convince yourself it was just a phase that would pass. It made everything so much harder,, especially having a homophobe father. Years later, you will recognize that school can be one of the cruellest environments for people like us who feel less attractive, less intelligent and less confident. It takes time to get over those feelings, but you will see that, as you go out into the real world, that your insights, sensitivity experiences will be valued and helpful to others.

I know you're convinced right now that nobody cares about you. I wish I could explain to you how people have really been affected and worried about you. It's sad that people don't know how to express their concern for you or they don't know how to help. There are people want to help, they just aren't sure how. They don't want to hear you talk about suicide because they're afraid that talking about it might make you more likely to do it. They know something's going on, they just don't know what, or how to help. Often, suicidal situations can be a result of a communication breakdown amongst all parties. It's important to have someone that you can talk to about it, someone who's not afraid to talk about suicide. It's a tough subject, but not talking about it is a dangerous road.

In time you will discover that these feelings, so overwhelming right now, will not last forever. Day by day, week by week, you will get stronger. It doesn't change overnight, but you'll begin to consider a life beyond this moment. You will do things you never imagined yourself capable of doing.

You learn to get more involved in activities as a way to get your mind off depressing thoughts. You go back to school and you realize that although your grades need to improve, it's okay that they're not great right now. It's you that needs to improve right now and that needs the most care. Therapy helps and once you learn to start talking about it, you learn to let go of the past. Accepting the past, for whatever you did or was done to you, doesn't matter, because what matters most is where you are right now, and where you will go from here.

You will also get involved in extracurricular activities, including a social justice committee because you have an interest in human rights. You will also get to meet some people there who share similar interests, and although you don't feel that you're quite in their league, you feel that they listen and that your opinion is valued. It helps with your confidence and as you get more involved, there is less time to deal with suicidal thoughts and depression.

In school, you really hated gym class, because it was always about participating in team sports, like baseball or football. You were always the last one picked for the team because you weren't very good at sports.. Would it surprise you that many years later you will take up long distance running as a way to deal with depression and that you will become an exceptional marathon runner? You'll make the top 10 list of local marathon runners and your story will be posted in the media, focused on educating, inspiring and uplifting others.

Years after your suicide attempt, you will become a volunteer for a local distress helpline, sharing you experiences with other people who are depressed or suicidal. And after falling in love with the work of helping others, you decide to leave a good paying job with benefits to go back to school for social services. After failing your way through high school many years previously, you will become an "A" student in college because you are focussed and motivated, and you have found meaning in your life.

Eventually, you will settle into a rewarding life working for a non profit agency which helps disadvantaged populations, where you will be a strong advocate for youth, people with disabilities, racialized populations, LGBT groups, and, very, very often, people who are depressed and suicidal. You will share your experiences and advocate for others who feel the way you felt many decades ago. You will find your passion and meaning in life and use it to help others. You will be widely respected for the understanding and concern you have shown to others. You'll be asked to speak at conferences and classes about your work and how you came to find yourself through it.

I know that none of this seems possible right now and during the many years ahead, there will still be tough times and bad days, but you'll come to know that happiness is different than what you expected, that it comes from within and while helping others to thrive. You will rebuild a broken life on a foundation of hope and careful planning of a future with purpose.

This is the future that lies ahead if you can just make it through these difficult moments today. Your accomplishments aren't the actions of a person who is drowning in despair. You will find a strength in yourself that you haven't had the chance to see yet.

All I ask is that you trust me. Separate the emotions from the actions.Please don't make a quick and emotional decision that will prevent you from doing everything you are capable of doing, even if you don't see it as being possible right now.

Someday, people will understand and appreciate your sensitivity for the gift that it is, rather than a burden to bear.

Last edited by Starrunner; 23-May-2015 at 18:11.

It is hard to follow a post like starrunners, but I will try.

I want to look at the OP and say Welcome to the group.

Good for you to start a thread like this. This should be part of the learning experience here.

I see the information in the OP profile and have to ask if you have ever had a "Real" depression issue.

Wanting to help is a very admirable thing, but I should also say that there is still a lot to be learned.

I and many other members here have had, and are dealing with the on going issues.

I am attempting as tactfully as possible to say that we all have so much to offer to the group and what is said by the OP is helpful up to a point.

But also look at the "cry for help" that other people post in threads and look for the outstanding issue that they are talking about.
    My case in point is that when you are "in Crisis" you need someone to LISTEN to you and gain an understanding of the "Pain that you are feeling". This is the most important aspect that can be offered.

The problem is that someone who has been able to use the natural coping mechanism and successfully overcome a "depression situation" have no idea what "Clinical Depression" is like.
    For a person in crisis the natural coping mechanisms are overwhelmed or not functioning because of some form of "organic" issue, i.e. Chemical imbalance, multiple health issues, etc.

So these "natural coping mechanism" phrase like "just be happy" or (my Favorite [NOT]) "Just pull yourself up by your boot straps" is not a helping thing but ridicule that makes matter worse.

So yes there is threads at times that people are asking for help and this group is fantastic at helping one another. So it is a good thing to respond to the threads, but make sure that the things that are said are actually helpful and not just "natural Coping mechanisms". Basically if someone is posting a thread like that they are well past the help that a simple statement may or is intended to provide.

I hope this makes since.

I battled and conquered depression for a few years now.
    And 2 of my close family members are in this hole.
    They have been this way for over a year.
    Slowly my telling them to get help has worked enough that the depression hasn't worsened.

In both cases they lacked a reason to live and they are finding it slowly but surely.

Its not something you can climb out of yourself.

That said, you can fully recover, be super happy again and help others with all that wonderful knowledge you have acquired about beating depression.

And when kick the diseases ass, keep going for checkups even if you are fine because having that lifeline makes it far easier to tackle if you ever fall into that dark pit again.

What we can all take out of our depression, is that it makes us wiser and our emotional intelligence gives us insight into this world that few others experience.

Finally to empathize with somebody in that hole is a real power that holds life changing weight.

I was told once that the super intelligent and sensitive people of the world suffer with depression.

I learned that once cured, there will always be moments that jog that dark void we experienced, and we make a place for it like quarantining an virus on a pc.

We are all stronger for it.

Crazy...Stop the ignorance and get knowledge. I think you should take your own advice and do some research. Suicide isn't a coward act. It's the sign of someone who has experienced constant pain for so long, tried and tried, and eventually given up. It's kind of like someone carrying a 50kg pack for 200km. It's possible but it's not cowardly to sink to your knees with exhaustion or to just collapse. Imagine having been tortured for 5,6... 20 years. That's what drives people to it if it's depression that is the reason behind the suicide. I contemplated suicide for many years and the only reason I didn't was due to how much support I had and the amount of knowledge I had due to my professional background. If I didn't have both of those I probably wouldn't be here. Some people don't have those.

Money! The other reason I didn't die was because I happened to have money and a family willing to give me money. Since Australia health system has been Americanised it's nigh impossible to get mental health care without money unless you're a drug addict or self harm. (Hence why girls get more help then boys even though boys are the bigger risk) I spent about $5000 a year (not including the $160,000 I've lost in wages since I wasn't able to work) in order to beat my depression. The total cost of my depression I've calculated at $205,000US so far and to stop my depression coming back I spend $5 a day on supplements and medication. Being poor isn't cowardly and having money isn't brave.

I was also just lucky. Lucky I got the right psychiatrist that was trained in genetics and identified the gene that stopped my body producing serotonin. Without serotonin you can't do a lot of things. Since happiness is only a chemical reaction, it was physically impossible to be happy and not to feel the pain I felt every day.

Anyone who has a family history of depression and is medication resistant, look up The Walsh Institute. 4 years of depression and it was gone in 3 days. Now i have to just fix the damage the depression did to the wiring of my brain. (Also may be useful without the family history if they can find a background cause to your depression)

So, Crazy.. go research and specifically look up what you should and shouldn't say to someone with depression. It's possible you could save someones life with it.

I'd be happy to spread love to anyone who needs it. Suicide is never good in my opinion and I'm here to say y'all are all special and beautiful and mean so much to someone out there I'm sure of it. Please never give up.