Thread: "I Am A Child" by Neil Young

Default "I Am A Child" by Neil Young

EDIT: Gah! Apparently it's a song by Buffalo Springfield, of which Neil Young was a member.

I really hesitated in creating a new thread for this, but I just came across an amazingly cool song with some cute lyrics that made me wonder whether the old rocker, Neil Young, has some AB tendencies...

Or maybe, the conversation in the song (between "you" and "me") is him splitting his child (id) and adult (superego). Or maybe it's (yet another) song about Young's heroin dependency, casting the drug as a parental figure calming a young child...?

Hope you like the song -- make sure you select 720p quality or above for the best audio quality!

Search how works heroin in human organism... You'll see the sense. BUT DON'T TRY THAT SHIT !!! I'm 17 years out of that. My very good luck

I always saw it as longing for lost childhood. Sugar Mountain is another. Is there an AB content to it? Hard to say. Possible, but I'll go with angsty adolescent, give that he he was barely 20 when he wrote it, and the context of his other work. I have that very album in vinyl. Lots of great stuff on it.
    Last edited by Maxx; 18-May-2015 at 14:22.

Sorry Tiny, but I think you're seeing hints of ABDL where none exist, but good on you for thinking it.

As Maxx stated, Young was probably only twenty or so when he wrote it, and he wasn't a father at the time.

My thoughts on the lyrics are that the song is written from two perspectives, a child's view of the world, and a father reflecting on raising a child.

The first part is the child speaking:

"I am a child, I last a while
    You can't conceive of the pleasure in my smile
    You hold my hand, buff up my hair
    It's lots of fun to have you there"

It's the joy of being a child, and the time spent with a father

The next part is the father speaking:

"I gave to you, now you give to me
    I'd like to know what you've learned
    The sky is blue and so is the sea
    What is the color when black is burned?
    What is the color?"

He's saying he sacrificed to raise his child, but he has received so much in return. When the child learns the answers to his questions, he comes up with new questions. It rekindles the father's sense of wonder in the world.

Back to the child again:

"You are a man, you understand
    You pick me up and you lay me down again
    You make the rules, you say what's fair
    It's lots of fun to have you there"

This is about the child's faith in his father. The line 'you pick me up and lay me down again' could be literal but it could also refer to the father helping his child through difficult challenges and sorting them out.

Anyway, this is just my interpretation of the song. Thanks for posting it. I haven't heard this in ages