Tena Slip Maxi, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

drive88

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I had to say it. They used to be among my Top 3 favorite diapers; the other two being ABU Super Dry Kids and Cushies. It had been a while since I'd ordered these, and when I heard that they changed to cloth sides I was skeptical. So, I ordered a sample pack, and was totally disappointed. First of all, I have to point out that I'm a DL; no incontinence or other medical reasons for wearing diapers. I just love the feel, and Tena Slip Maxis were awesome. I was never crazy about the construction, but they were always so comfortable, hugged just right and the refastenable tapes along the landing strip were amazing for me, as I don't like to mess in my diapers. It's just not my thing. I hate cloth anything on a diaper, thought I could live with the new breathable sides. However, the discontinuance of the landing strip for the tapes has just retired this diaper for me. Sad, too. I also ordered a sample of the Tena Slip Basics, which are thinner but do have the landing strip; have yet to try those. Oh, well. I've got a long period where my roommate is going to be gone for almost a month, so I won't mind splurging a little, even though I shouldn't, and getting some ABU Super Dry Kids, now that they're back. More expensive than I remember, but it's all good. Adios, Tena!

I'm really glad to see so many new and interesting diapers hitting the market but I'm going to miss these when I finally run out from the ones I stocked.

I have one bag left. I don't think I'm ever going to open it lol

Same here. I have about 10-15 left, and one unopened bag.

But honestly, I think Fabines (despite higher cost) and now Snuggies really outdo the Tena Slip Maxi. The Tena Slip Maxi was a great design but if you are into the ABDL-style brands, what are you looking for in a medical diaper? Is it:

- feminine look? (I wish Snuggies or another brand would make a more feminine looking adult diaper (not necessarily girly as in all pink (I really prefer white) and has stereotypical things like Barbie on the front or something like that), but still catered to ABDL)
- Unique fit? (I would say it's less unique once it's getting full)
- If you are male, these fit pretty well under men's jeans (although I stopped wearing men's jeans a while ago; can't vouch for these under women's jeans)

Yes you can barely wear Fabines underneath jeans but that's not the point of those. I mentioned Fabines only because of comparative absorbency.

I have seen plenty of people on Tumblr and Reddit wearing Snuggies under jeans (both men and women), so it seems those tend to fit decent if you like wearing jeans.

As I write this, wearing a (slightly wet) Tena Slip Maxi under some leggings.

MrCarter said:
I have seen plenty of people on Tumblr and Reddit wearing Snuggies under jeans (both men and women), so it seems those tend to fit decent if you like wearing jeans.

As I write this, wearing a (slightly wet) Tena Slip Maxi under some leggings.

I'll second the "Waddlers work well under jeans". Though I really prefer cargo pants because they are a lot looser in the pelvis, and tend to have a lower crotch. Perfect for diapers. Kakki pants work also, but are somewhere between the two in terms of "diaper-friendlyness"

Considering the recent price drop on Waddlers (rev1) they are a fair contender for daily economical wear. They cost more, but are worth every penny in terms of added comfort, feel, looks, safety, and capacity. With the Totaldry Plus having been out of stock for awhile now at bambino, I'm seriously considering switching to Waddlers for my wear-to-work diapers. (they'd need to keep vers 1 in stock, and hold the price there, and I don't know if that's in the cards)

Yeah I am gutted about this as well, they were my nappy of choice for at least 20 years, they were the first adult nappy. I tried over brands and whilst some may be more absorbent, i always preferred the Tena slip maxi's. I have seen the nappy go through many changes but one thing that never changed was the tape panel, well the designs changed, but they have always had the tape panel and that was vital for me, having aspergers and also dyspraxia made me very pedantic about how the tapes should be lined up perfectly, I've never been a baby who can just "tape up and go" so a nappy change for me could often tale quite some time as I would have to readjust the tapes several times, at one point I was even measuring the distances with a tape measure to make sure they were perfectly symmetrical, and then when I learned I should be putting the tapes on at an angle I started to get rather fastidious about that and would get stressed if one tape looked at a higher or lower angle, damn this thing about symmetry! That's why the tape panel was so important to me as it allowed me to retape it several times and I could use the stripes and markings on the panel as an aid to getting it fit nice and neat. The other thing i loved about TSM (Tena slip maxi) is the fit, they ere the only nappy that fitted me just right, I dont know if I have a peculiar body shape or something but for some reason any other nappy just did not seem to fit me as snuggly. And then their is the plastic backing, I understand that for some its not a major issue especially the folks who need to wear, it seems that its a welcome change to them. But for me its a major issue, i dont know if thats also something to do with my aspergers, i dont like change and that plastic backing has become fixated in my head, it is silly i know but the texture of slick crinkly plastic made me feel like a baby, and I'm not ashamed to say it also turns me on! So when they dropped the plastic backing that was it for me, Happily I found a place that still had some in stock so was able to continue wearing them for a few months after they stopped producing them I got my last pack on the 18th of February :-( The following month the inevitable happened, I went to order another pack and the words what i was dreading seeing were there, out of stock, my heart sunk. I contacted them in the hope that maybe they did have a few more in storage and they might restock with them, but no, that was it, game over. I was so attached to those nappies and it really did put me into a rather depressive mood, I still feel sad about it now. At first my reaction was rather childish (well aint that a surprise!) I decided as I couldn't have my special nappies anymore I would not wear nappies ever again, haha, no chance! just could not do it, well I cant stop being a adult baby so how can I give up nappies? I had to try and find a replacement nappy. I tried Comficare and I did actually really like them, they ticked all my boxes, thick, mostly plain white crinkly plastic backing, tape panel (even with a handy fit system to show where to put the tapes, and they even had some features that were better than my beloved TSM's the inner leg cuffs were much taller and were much more useful then the Tenas, They were a lot more thicker and absorbent, I really like the stretchy waist band at front and back, TSM only had a rather flimsy bit of elastic film in the back which didn't really have that much stretch so wasn't really that effective IMO also the tapes were wider and really sticky! However as earlier stated TSM are the only nappy i feel comfy in and the Comficares just do not fit me right, i get the largest size and yet they are still uncomfortably tight around my thighs, I tried different tape positions on the lower tapes, even ignoring the taping guide pattern but just cant get that snug and secure but not cutting into my skin fit that I want, and had with the large size TSM's I hope one day they might introduce a XL size, then I may get on better with them, although they will always be much more expensive that TSM's were Anotjer nappy i tried is Cuddlz (all over print) these actually seem to fit me fairly well and i really like the single tapes, I have seen many people claiming single tapes dont work on adult nappies, were a different shape to babies so they dont fit right etc etc, well in that case I must have a baby shaped body because they fit well on me and are comfy and stay fastened even after being active for extend periods. They have babyish prints which i dont find that cute really but at least they do look a little more babyish than adult nappies. and they have the tape panel. The drawback is the absorbency, if that was improved a bit I might buy them more regularly, again a lot more costly than what I was paying for my Tenas, and the postage costs are not cheap either, I used to have free next day delivery with Tena direct. I would love to try some of the adult nappies available in the US but I am not prepared to pay overseas shipping, maybe one day Snuggies will have a UK stockist! I actuially have just paid £10 for 4 plastic Tena slip maxis, thats really lame I know but I needed one last fling! I am treating them like gold and going to try and keep them for special occasions like my birthday, although I could resist putting one on yesterday and it was bliss when i was taped up in it, was able to go rounf my mates and have a few drinks, not have to worry about needing the toilet, coming home and going to bed and waking up with that familiar puffy crinkly feeling between my legs!

Time for my rant​
I to am in the UK under the Control State of The EU. On finding my DL side which has solved major stress issues, I worked my way through various makes to settle on the Plastic faced Tena Slip Maxi. I have an active life and all other makes either clumped and leaked or tore their tapes or bulked out to obscene dimensions. Our masters have decreed that diaper wearers cannot have plastic faced diapers but Tena Slip Maxi with all their new faults are still the best out there - discreet, absorbent, non clumping and well fitting, just with crap tapes. I do not have enough confidence in them however for overnight and suspect they will come loose, leak and smell. I am saving my last plastic faced for overnight and, whoopee, have just taken delivery of one of the last cases of plastic faced Molicare Super to keep me going for a few more months. What happens with my overnight wetting thereafter, I dread to think but right now I have woken wet relaxed and happy.

MrCarter said:
Same here. I have about 10-15 left, and one unopened bag.

But honestly, I think Fabines (despite higher cost) and now Snuggies really outdo the Tena Slip Maxi. The Tena Slip Maxi was a great design but if you are into the ABDL-style brands, what are you looking for in a medical diaper? Is it:

- feminine look? (I wish Snuggies or another brand would make a more feminine looking adult diaper (not necessarily girly as in all pink (I really prefer white) and has stereotypical things like Barbie on the front or something like that), but still catered to ABDL)
- Unique fit? (I would say it's less unique once it's getting full)
- If you are male, these fit pretty well under men's jeans

Fabines look amazing, but I can't seem to find them here in the states, and I can't afford overseas shipping right now. I really want to try them. As far as look, I was very fond of the plain, all-white plastic diapers of my youth like Pampers and Huggies. As such, I lean towards diapers that can duplicate the look and feel of those diapers as closely as possible. That's why I grew to favor ABU Super Dry Kids, although I did also become a fan of ABU Cushies despite the color scheme and look. As far as fit goes, I like a diaper to be a little snug but not too tight. And, of course, the reseablable tapes with landing zones are mandatory. Since I never mess or wet my diapers, they only really bulk with sweat when I've been wearing one all day; in those cases, I like it when they bulk up a bit in between my legs and I waddle a little. I don't mind what they look like under jeans, because I don't wear diapers if I have to be out for extended periods, like work or school. I guess it's more of something I do when I'm at home or running errands.

I just may try Snuggies, but I really wish ABU would lower their prices and that Fabines would be available here. Sometimes I think people in Europe have the better selection of diapers. Thank you for your input. I'll definatley look into Snuggies.

I haven't tried the new Tena Slip Maxis, but what the OP stated doesn't sound appealing (I have a strong preference for plastic backed diapers). The plastic backed variant is discrete, comfortable, and has good capacity (I am currently wearing one). I will miss it as well.

I've heard the new ones suck compared to the old ones. Which is why I need to stock up on the old ones before you can't get them anymore.

There are those plastic backed "Tena Original" ones. While nothing like the old Tena they at least don't sag (if you can reach the plastic part over the breathable sides, that is). They kinda remind me of Attends Regulars. I'm still looking for a new diaper as well though. I have yet to try the ID Slip, new CF Attends Regular (I heard they're pretty good) and the CF Maxi.

Yeah, even though they retain the plastic backing/middle part, the construction is probably the worst diaper I've ever tried. The wings, where the cloth meets the plastic, falls apart the second you either sit or lie down; absolutley terrible. The Tena Slip Basics, while not as thick as I'd like, are perfect for wearing discreetly in jeans, even if they do make a slight crinkle. But, that's all part of the fun,eh? Yeah, I'm going to miss the old Slip Maxis as well.

drive88 said:
The Tena Slip Basics, while not as thick as I'd like, are perfect for wearing discreetly in jeans, even if they do make a slight crinkle. But, that's all part of the fun,eh? Yeah, I'm going to miss the old Slip Maxis as well.

I got a case of the basics and they're not bad. They've actually got good SAP and leak guards, are all plastic white, good tapes. (cheap too) Only issue I really had with them is low durability and thin. They start clumping and piling up in the crotch after too much walking around, while still dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back