Thread: How Culture affects AB/DL's

Question How Culture affects AB/DL's

So while there was a discussion on how race is connected to ABDL. I was thinking we could start a whole new topic. How does culture affect us into the diaper/ age play lifestyle. Does living in a different culture/ ethnic background where sexuality might be shamed change how you view your lifestyle on how you practice it? In certain cultures would one might find the care-taking more important because of certain values, or might the sexual aspect be seen as just as important. Share your stories!

I suspect that the answer to the big questions is a rather straightforward yes. If your culture teaches you to be ashamed of certain things or to act in certain ways, they're very hard things from which to break away.

I think a more interesting look might be in the specifics though. For example, do some cultures carry and hold their children differently and does that affect ABDLs from those cultures? Does the way that people address children in different places carry over to ABDL desires? I think seeing how homogenous vs how diverse ABDL practice is in different countries might give some insight into the processes that create our desires.

That said, I expect data to be sparse since we're in an environment here that is overwhelmingly English-speaking Western culture.

I lived in America, France and a tiny bit in Japan, but never partook in any meeting in the latter.
    Also, what I witness occurred during the last 10 years roughly.

To be honest, I found no striking difference between the three.
    Online, community have different way to communicate english speakers had mostly Adisc and fetlife, Frogs had a dedicated website and a forum for minors and Japan had blogs (livedoor, ameba. I think Japan was the top 1 country in term of number of blogging post per day. I dunno if it's still the case) and imageboards.

But, nowadays, with social media (Fb, twitter, tumblR, deviantart,etc.), things tend to standardize between countries.

If we're talking about how ABDL life their fetish/fantasy between those countries. I found that it's pretty much the same everywhere. (Japanese ABDL seems to be closer to watersport and desperation however than it is in other countries)

One noticeable difference I saw was that ABs in America or on Adisc tend to separate a lot more their little side from their adult side than french ABs do. We don't normally have a persona for our little side while people here tend to have one, we don't usually have specific name, different personality or a different age in mind when regressing.
    I'm not saying that everyone does it here or no-one does it in France, just that in general, it's more common on your side of the Atlantic. And in the end, american oo french AB both like to color books, play tag or get their diaper changed by his/her daddy/mommy.

On the surface I would think it'd be different. I'd say a pretty obvious consideration would be how each culture treats their children... if that's something that would be a comforting thing to relive even if only for certain aspects... and then the implementation differences. Like what ArchieRoni said... different ways of being held... different accessories... etc.

If your culture doesn't typically use pacifiers then it wouldn't make much sense for an AB to be into that. Or cribs... etc.

Then you have the various flavors of AB/little... infant... toddler... etc. Most cultures tend to care for their infants in similar ways, but you start seeing differences rapidly as the children get older.

Honestly, I'd think that economics would have a pretty vast affect on things as well (but then it has a vast affect on culture so where does one end and the other begin). e.g. the fact that our childhoods last so long means it's easier to become imprinted by such things. That's an easier thing to maintain in a economically stable environment. But even if you're *not* in such an environment... but are surrounded by reminders that there are people that are... even that can also have an affect. "The childhood I never had" etc.

On the other side though I'd say western culture in general has basically been rammed down the world's throat for better or worse, and so most cultures are affected by that. I think that accounts for a lot of the homogeny you see. I mean, sure, ABs are all different in various ways... but I don't think the differences are well defined by culture and geography (as koda42 has apparently noticed) so much as this pervasive, idealized... kind of Hollywood if you will, version of childhood that's advertised everywhere. Either it's the childhood you had and miss... the childhood you wish you had... or for most of us (I assume) a bit more nuanced version of that. i.e. *this* part of "childhood"... but not *that* part.

And each of us sees pieces of that idealized vision that we like:
    --some people like unconditional love from a caregiver
    --some people like a loss of control
    --some people like a lack of responsibility
    --some people like a level of naivety about the world around them

etc.

"That said, I expect data to be sparse since we're in an environment here that is overwhelmingly English-speaking Western culture."

So basically that... but with the addition that even if you're not from such a culture, chances are your culture has been influenced by that culture either through media or colonialism etc.

Things will tend to homogenize more imo (which I think is a good thing but that's another topic) as the world becomes "smaller" via technology.

I have little insight rattling in my head, but I wondered if being AB/DL or its culture was more accepted in Japan since they have a higher percentage of their adult population wearing diapers? They also seem to be more open to cos play.

As a 20-something, with the way my generation is these days, I can say rather confidently that I am absolutely surrounded by peter-pans. It's actually a rather convenient generation to belong to as an Adult baby, considering how most of us still want to be children and say to hell with this job market.

That's more socio-economical than cultural, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I suspect that the answer to the big questions is a rather straightforward yes. If your culture teaches you to be ashamed of certain things or to act in certain ways, they're very hard things from which to break away.

I think a more interesting look might be in the specifics though. For example, do some cultures carry and hold their children differently and does that affect ABDLs from those cultures? Does the way that people address children in different places carry over to ABDL desires? I think seeing how homogenous vs how diverse ABDL practice is in different countries might give some insight into the processes that create our desires.

That said, I expect data to be sparse since we're in an environment here that is overwhelmingly English-speaking Western culture.
    I feel that was the question I was trying to get at, sadly when it comes to my wording im not the best at articulating the best kind of message that would change how one answers the question.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other side though I'd say western culture in general has basically been rammed down the world's throat for better or worse, and so most cultures are affected by that. I think that accounts for a lot of the homogeny you see. I mean, sure, ABs are all different in various ways... but I don't think the differences are well defined by culture and geography (as koda42 has apparently noticed) so much as this pervasive, idealized... kind of Hollywood if you will, version of childhood that's advertised everywhere. Either it's the childhood you had and miss... the childhood you wish you had... or for most of us (I assume) a bit more nuanced version of that. i.e. *this* part of "childhood"... but not *that* part.

i'd find it quite interesting to see how Socioeconomic conditions might affect the attitudes of ageplayers in certain areas. If one does live in an area where the economic conditions are rough, would their attitude towards why they are ABDL be similar? Fascinating.

Maybe in cultures where a great deal of positive emphasis is given to infancy and markets are flooded with positive imagery promoting aspects of infancy, there could be an increased desire encouraging AB tendencies. Idk...then again, perhaps as an AB we would be hyper sensitive to such things anyway. I certainly see that many cultures have similar approaches toward infancy these days, but that's globalisation I guess.