Gender Stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I saw him as that. He turned into dinos a lot. Also do you mean teen titans or the new one Teen titans go? I never watched the new one.

Experiment626 said:
I don't think I saw him as that. He turned into dinos a lot. Also do you mean teen titans or the new one Teen titans go? I never watched the new one.

I've never met a fan of the original who likes the new one... But yes I mean the older ones

Entropio said:
I've never met a fan of the original who likes the new one... But yes I mean the older ones
cool

Like many of the people here I too dislike gender stereotypes people should be themselves without being labeled.
I prefer buying the pink girl diapers and pull ups over the the blue boy diapers and pull ups. If you want or prefer one type of pull up or diaper over the other than go for it.

just throwing in my two pfenningsworth to say that these aren't gender stereotypes, but marketeering ploys: the rape of children's minds.

i use pull ups alot. im now getting too big for the goodnites and other kids style pull ups so i just have mostly plain white ones. i do like girly stuff though

ade said:
just throwing in my two pfenningsworth to say that these aren't gender stereotypes, but marketeering ploys: the rape of children's minds.

Why not compare this phenomena that exists in all cultures to genocide?

I really am not surprised someone went this far in the self righteous agreement thread. Rape is the go to word for all things self righteous.

MrSun said:
Why not compare this phenomena that exists in all cultures to genocide?
because i wasn't making a comparison, i was stating the case. you may want to look-up the word 'rape'.
and the 'phenomena' isn't a part of my culture: as has been repeatedly pointed out to me throughout my life, it's 'more Yank crap'.

that's right, not everybody in the world is a twentysomething american.

ade said:
because i wasn't making a comparison, i was stating the case. you may want to look-up the word 'rape'.
and the 'phenomena' isn't a part of my culture: as has been repeatedly pointed out to me throughout my life, it's 'more Yank crap'.

that's right, not everybody in the world is a twentysomething american.

Sorry. I didn't realize you were from North Perfectia, where men and women fulfills all the same roles at equal amounts. Also in my country, rape carries a connotation usually means force sexual encounters. I guess exposure to a role may qualify as abuse if one was to remove connotations, but then I'm being raped everyday if that's the case. I guess your country doesn't have the backwards American connotations of rape and need to reuse the word to express exposure to personally disliked colors. Well I hope you country will manage to eliminate its rape by making all the pull ups beige.

Interesting. I'm going to agree with ade here, though I believe the word "violation" fits better in this case... it seems like that's what was meant. I do think a lot of advertising and marketing, is a violation of people's privacy, and even of their very thought process. That said... the only thing I really disapprove of is denying a kid the toys, books, or interests they want just because "it's not for [boys/girls]." That makes me awfully sad...

YankeeFox said:
Interesting. I'm going to agree with ade here, though I believe the word "violation" fits better in this case... it seems like that's what was meant. I do think a lot of advertising and marketing, is a violation of people's privacy, and even of their very thought process. That said... the only thing I really disapprove of is denying a kid the toys, books, or interests they want just because "it's not for [boys/girls]." That makes me awfully sad...

A violation of thought process? That is an Orwellian way of describing stimuli. The violation of privacy in marketing isn't a part of this subject, unless you mean something else.

OK, I'll explain my position, since it may sound a little odd. I think (and this is my opinion) Orwellian is close to a fitting label. One hundred years ago, people did not get angry at seeing dandelions in their yard- someone first had to sell them the idea that their yard needed to be 'weed-free.' In the same vein, someone along the line also decided that anorexic models needed to be the definition of 'beautiful.' I don't think these are natural positions to take, but rather ones created to sell products like weight loss and weed-killer. Gender stereotypes, although they go much further back in our history than weeds or weight, strike me as one more of these invented messages meant to make people easier to market to.

A lot of psychological research goes into figuring out how to get an ad to stick in your mind, and how to make it grab your attention... with enough exposure, I think ads could fundamentally change the way someone (especially a little kid) thinks about their self, the world around them, or their place in it.

There they are: :twocents: As always, I mean the most respect possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back