Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do transgenders feel about switching genders?

Question How do transgenders feel about switching genders?

I was wondering, what do people feel that compels them to switch genders? Is it a desire to present themselves as a different gender identity, or is it something else? I want to be able to confirm with myself that I have these feelings and that they aren't a part of my imagination.

Of course, this information can be found elsewhere. But I was looking for a much more personal response, and I knew this section fits what I'm looking for.

That we're one gender stuck in the body of the opposite. I honestly have never felt like one of the guys and feel awkward around other guys or being told that its manly to be into one thing but that it isn't manly to be in the other. I have felt female since I was about 7 years old and my feminine side has continued to grow day after day since then. What has stopped me from getting the actual switch done is financial up and downs and the feeling that I still have work to do in this world as a male before my life as a female can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by boobybird89 View Post
    That we're one gender stuck in the body of the opposite. I honestly have never felt like one of the guys and feel awkward around other guys or being told that its manly to be into one thing but that it isn't manly to be in the other. I have felt female since I was about 7 years old and my feminine side has continued to grow day after day since then. What has stopped me from getting the actual switch done is financial up and downs and the feeling that I still have work to do in this world as a male before my life as a female can begin.
    Really? Socially, I can relate; most of my best friends have been female. I've never held a lasting close friendship with another guy (my friendship with my roommate kind of turned into a relationship, but that's not the point).

I relate and get along with females much better, usually within 10 years of my age group or the older crowds.

For me, the clearest thing is immediate, anatomical discomfort with my body. It is shaped differently than how my brain is wired to expect it. In some limited ways, it's analogous to the "phantom limb syndrome" experienced by amputees; their body's layout no longer matches their brain's expectations.

To "present" as female -- that is, to interact socially from that role, wear women's clothing, etc -- has thus far been a "Wow, what have I been missing?!?!" kind of experience. Insofar as I've yet been able to taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkABDL
    I was wondering, what do people feel that compels them to switch genders? Is it a desire to present themselves as a different gender identity, or is it something else? I want to be able to confirm with myself that I have these feelings and that they aren't a part of my imagination.
    It's a lot more nuanced than a lot of the soundbites in activism make it out to be really. It's easier to look at this in terms of one is not "switching genders" but is instead living as their authentic self than the one forced upon them. Hence the terminology trans and cis. Cis simply means you've more or less agreed that your gender identity conforms to your assigned sex. While trans being the opposite.

It can be quite complex, and the experiences of trans people are quite diverse. It can be a lot of soul searching to figure out that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    It's a lot more nuanced than a lot of the soundbites in activism make it out to be really. It's easier to look at this in terms of one is not "switching genders" but is instead living as their authentic self than the one forced upon them. Hence the terminology trans and cis. Cis simply means you've more or less agreed that your gender identity conforms to your assigned sex. While trans being the opposite.

It can be quite complex, and the experiences of trans people are quite diverse. It can be a lot of soul searching to figure out that answer.
    Thanks, it seems like you have a lot of knowledge in this area. I'm glad I chose to post on this forum, as I believe that most other sites I would find would either be too big or too distant to connect to. It's well-read members like you that make me want to keep posting on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkABDL View Post

Of course, this information can be found elsewhere. But I was looking for a much more personal response, and I knew this section fits what I'm looking for.
    Hi ParkABDL,
    Boobybird89, Sapphyre, and Geno have all hit upon the central reason. Sexual Reassignment Surgery is an attempt to put things ' right ', to be whole and complete. To have the " outside " match the " inside ". To have the physical body align with the the mental and emotional thoughts and feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Hi ParkABDL,
    Boobybird89, Sapphyre, and Geno have all hit upon the central reason. Sexual Reassignment Surgery is an attempt to put things ' right ', to be whole and complete. To have the " outside " match the " inside ". To have the physical body align with the the mental and emotional thoughts and feelings.
    I think you summed it up really well. I'll continue to explore my feelings towards gender, and generally just experiment and explore until I find something right.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkABDL View Post
    I think you summed it up really well. I'll continue to explore my feelings towards gender, and generally just experiment and explore until I find something right.
    Hi, again ParkABDL,
    I am wondering just when you began to have these feelings and questions about your gender. Most people who are transgendered knew their physical frames were mismatched at a relatively early age. Have you had these feelings a long time, but just never closely examined them ? Or, are these relatively new-found feelings ?