Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actors who became singers

Default Actors who became singers

I just read this article this morning about famous actors who have taken up singing as a second career.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/05/08/...rned-musicians

The article was written in honour of David Duchovney (X Files, Californication) who is releasing a new album this week. Apparently, it's everything you would expect from an actor with such a monotone voice.

The article points out that a few actors have actually made very credible transitions. They include Drake, Steve Martin, and Zooey Deschanel.

As a trekkie myself, the first actor-turned-singer that came to mind was William Shatner who released an album of classic rock songs during the height of his popularity. He took some great songs and mangled and desecrated them by sing-speaking, shouting, and over enunciating, and badly acting his way through each song. I'm glad to see he was at the top of the list of the worst in this article.

If you never had a chance to hear it, this is his rendition, or rather his massacre, of a classic Dylan song, Mr. Tambourine Man. Earplugs are recommended.

It's still a topic of debate as to whether he was an egotistical actor who actually thought he could sing, lampooning the music of his generation, parodying his own bad acting skills, or maybe he was just stoned out of his mind. I never figured it out but the results are hilarious. Feel free to give me an explanation.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 11-May-2015 at 13:18.

Another one is Jim Nabors, A. K. A. "Gomer Pyle" from the 1960's.

Bruce Willis had some minor hits back in the 1980's. Don Johnson from Miami Vice also did an album, mostly a forgettable one.

I thought Jamie Foxx was amazing when he played Ray Charles. We won't discuss his singing of our National anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I thought Jamie Foxx was amazing when he played Ray Charles. We won't discuss his singing of our National anthem.
    That's nothing compared to Roseanne Barr singing the National anthem

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    Another one is Jim Nabors, A. K. A. "Gomer Pyle" from the 1960's.

He's the exception, in that he's got quite a good voice.