Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freddie gray

Default freddie gray

Freddie grays death How does everyone feel on this?

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    How does everyone feel on this?
    Your post isn't very descriptive. How do people feel about who, and what is the reason to be bringing this up?

Not sure what to think.
    The whole subject of African-Americans and the Police is a major social policy problem.
    There are no clear cut answers regarding this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
    Your post isn't very descriptive. How do people feel about who, and what is the reason to be bringing this up?

All six police were indicted today on 2nd degree murder charges, failure to offer medical aid, and other charges. I've been reading a lot of articles about Baltimore in The Washington Post. Baltimore has had a lot of problems, long before this has happened. The problems are much like other cities, except Baltimore has very high unemployment and few job opportunities, especially for minorities and people with minimal education.

I have a certain amount of distrust as to how professional our police are and how talented they are in performing a very difficult job. I've been treated very courteously and professionally by some police, and terribly by others. Age and profiling do matter. Right after my college days, I moved to Ohio as the organist/accompanist for the largest Methodist Church in Ohio. I joined the older youth group, people my age and that's where I met the girl who would eventually become my wife. We were part of a church group that built cars for the 1/4 mile track, my car being one of them. We had gone to Kent, Ohio to a bar, and on the way back, I went through a light that was turning red. It was yellow when I went through it, but the good police of Kent pulled me over. This was in 1971, a year after the student murders by the National Guard at Kent State U., the university my wife graduated from.

The redneck cop had me step out of my car and then had me spread eagle across the hood of my '67 Pontiac. While he had me there, he had his face in mine and told me that the last punk he busted, who was just like me, resisted arrest, and he put him in the hospital. Then he told me that I and my passengers, which included my future wife, could go the the station and it would take hours to process us, or we could give him and his partner all the money we had on us. Since none of us had much money, we gave him all our money and he let us go: no ticket.

So I know what black people face every day of their lives. This kind of stuff never really changes, but it darn well needs to. It's funny, now that I'm a 67 year old white man who has a friend who is both a lawyer and head of the Lyunchburg Republican Party, I get treated so much better, especially if I drop my friend's name. Welcome to Americal.

I'm curious as to what factored into the ME's conclusion that it was homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I'm curious as to what factored into the ME's conclusion that it was homicide.
    My understanding is that it falls under depraved heart murder, which means death caused by a reckless disregard for human life. In this case, the officers transporting Freddie Grey were responsible for his safety, and they failed to keep him safe, and also failed to give him medical attention. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds to me like killing through disregard, or at least manslaughter (killing accidentally). So either way, it'd be a homicide, just not first-degree (deliberate, planned murder).

As for my general thoughts on the case, I'm glad this one will actually get a trial. I think we all remember the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, and how the ofricer was not even charged. We will never know if he killed Brown wrongly or not, but that's precisely why there should have been a trial. To find out what happened. To not lay charges implies that the officer is totally in the clear, and it was absolutely not black and white with the Brown case. Similarly, with Freddie Gray, there are questions. So it is good that there will be a trial, and we may be able to figure out what really happened.

This also shows me that things have been screwed up for a while between the police and the black community in the US. I'll admit that when I first heard about the riots in Baltimore, I wondered why. After all, there have been lots of police killings; why did this one trigger riots? Well, duh: it's because there have been so many police killings. Michael Brown and Eric Garner made headlines, and there was justified outrage over their deaths, but sadly, they were far from the only ones. Just last week, an officer shot a black man in South Carolina - while the man was running away. Not posing any threat. A twelve year old was shot by the police not long after Eric Garner was killed. There have been tons, even after the increased scrutiny from Ferguson. This was a tipping point. How many more people have to be shot by police for someone to do something? (And I know,not all police would do somethung like this, but think about how it looks to those in the middle of it all).

Finally, the riots. Yeah, people are pissed about these. I understand, looting and property damage are awful, and I don't condone the rioting. But instead of wagging our fingers, we should ask why people are doing this. Everything happens for a reason. I think the riots are an expression of rage. After seeing yet another black man killed by those who are supposed to be the protectors of society, the black community in Baltimore probably feels outraged. Who is protecting them? Why can people kill and get away with it? If someone I cared about was killed and no one would do a thing -and even blamed them -I'd be mad enough to break something. We're seeing that on a community scale right now. And hey, if the only time the rest of the country even notices is when you riot, what would you do? I'm opposed to rioting, but it's happening for a reason. If we dealt with the reason, we probably wouldn't see the riots - and we wouldn't see people dying without even a fair trial.

Overall, I hope this leads to a transparent, honest trial for the officers charged,and that police departments come up with a way to address this. Too many people are doing senselessly and no one cares until there's a riot. That's got to change for anything else to change.

When a person is arrested by the police, they have a duty of care to ensure no harm comes to the individual. Gray died from a fatal spine injury sustained while in police custody. Gray had asthma and requested an inhaler from one of the arresting officers but was never given one.

This young man had a short and tragic life. He was raised by a mother with a heroin addiction who could not read. In school , he was four classes behind in reading and writing. He lived in substandard housing with high levels of lead. He had been arrested eighteen times, mostly for non violent drug offenses, and once for assault. When he was detained on April 12th, he did not resist arrest, yet suffered brutal injuries.

There are two things in this case that stand out to me:
    (1) Here is a young person who never got the help he needed at an early stage of his life, resulting in conflict with the law in later years. A life of poverty, a broken family not equipped to raise children, lack of social support and services in schools can all contribute to bad choices when all other options have been shut off. (2) There are segments of our society, including the police, who place less value on the lives of individuals who come from low income neighbourhoods and have had conflict with the law. I believe there was prejudice by the police against Freddie Gray, and that it contributed towards his death.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 02-May-2015 at 15:38.

I sincerely believe the media overhyped these situations well beyond reason. There are many with agendas, and so many sheeple willing to go with the crowd. Using race as a divisive tool fanning the flames is leading to more government regulation and those who think they are royalty. Starting around 1960 ish our melting pot has fizzled and entitlement mentality coupled with left wing dumbing down / indoctrination through the schools is ruining America.

Overly Litigious societal behavior has caused serious damage. Fear of legal action ties us in knots.

because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold: Matt. 24:12

Love of God , ourselves and fellow human beings is what we need. Tolerance toward others whether or not if their behavior appeals to us can right the ship.

Discretion in our behavior in public would help. I would love to run around in nothing more than my diaper, and often do inside my home in private. I respect society enough not to force myself on them and expect such from them.

Until we can respect each other and ourselves, we can expect society failure.

From your post Frodo it appears that you are politically conservative. We are beginning to see the left and right in our country come together to deal with the issue of incarceration. The US has 5% of the world's population and 20% of the world's incarcerated population. I don't know about you but I find this statistic very disturbing. A big problem is how many non violent drug users we incarcerate. Freddie Gray had been arrested numerous times for drug possession. The stop and frisk program in New York busted thousands of minorities in New York for simple possession of marijuana. As if these individuals didn't have enough strikes against them now they had a drug conviction on their record. I hope that the left and right can deal with the incarceration problem and the issue of police violence especially in minority communities.

Frodo do you live in a cave or just the right wing bubble? The issue of police violence is nothing new and hardly a result of the news media hyping it. I read the autobiography of Malcom X in 1969 and he talked about police violence in minority communities extensively. I am totally flabbergasted that you are so cavalier about this issue. There have been 350 people killed by the police in this country in the first four months of this year. This is no small matter. What is different today is all of the cell phones out there and people's courage to take video's of this police brutality. This is unique to this country. We need to hold the police accountable for their behavior. Since individual accountability is a major concern of conservatives that seems like a good place to start for the left and the right to address this problem.