Status
Not open for further replies.

cozycandyfly

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
I'm just wondering, are there any programmers who are ABDL, and if so which programming language you use and why?

There's a fair number of programmer types around.

For me it's mostly c++ and java for work these days, but I've worked with a whole variety of things from shitty scripting languages to assembly languages for weird architectures. Lately I deal with data distribution and high availability within distributed systems, in particular around stuff such as DDS, and HLA/DIS.

At home it's usually c++, though I don't do as much hobby coding as I used to, nor do I contribute to open source much beyond occasional patches any more (just don't have time or motivation).

As to reasons, c++ and java are kinda the default for me, as scripting language type gigs don't pay here very well and tend to be web stuff (which I avoid like the plague) and I live a largely Microsoft free lifestyle (at work and home) so the .NET stack is out (they can open source it all the want, as someone who was around during the 90s I don't think I'll ever trust Microsoft), and I'm even more anti-Apple (so no obj-c or whatever the new thing they've got is), so I don't see a lot of other viable choices (I'm not fond of these flash in the pan languages that seem to pop up every year).

There is a programming group
As for me, I use c++ mainly as well. I have been looking at java recently tho for things like android dev.

BoundCoder said:
There's a fair number of programmer types around.

For me it's mostly c++ and java for work these days, but I've worked with a whole variety of things from shitty scripting languages to assembly languages for weird architectures. Lately I deal with data distribution and high availability within distributed systems, in particular around stuff such as DDS, and HLA/DIS.

At home it's usually c++, though I don't do as much hobby coding as I used to, nor do I contribute to open source much beyond occasional patches any more (just don't have time or motivation).

As to reasons, c++ and java are kinda the default for me, as scripting language type gigs don't pay here very well and tend to be web stuff (which I avoid like the plague) and I live a largely Microsoft free lifestyle (at work and home) so the .NET stack is out (they can open source it all the want, as someone who was around during the 90s I don't think I'll ever trust Microsoft), and I'm even more anti-Apple (so no obj-c or whatever the new thing they've got is), so I don't see a lot of other viable choices (I'm not fond of these flash in the pan languages that seem to pop up every year).

Fair enough, I've got a book on both C# and C++, however i never got around to reading the C++ book, as it is terribly written and bores the crap out of me :D, the C# book is somewhat better and more understandable, but this has nothing to do with C# being better, the C++ book is terrible, only reason why i have the C++ book was because I come from a ANSI C99 background and needed it for reference and wanted to learn new things, but.. sadly that book let me down ahaha, C++ is a good language none the less, these days I'm more of a python programmer.

C++ for me, and a little Java and html.

C with a little C++ for me. Scratched the surface of C# but haven't had much of a chance to learn it.

I used to do a little BASIC as a child. Had fun trying to make a rougelike and a ship shooter. They were more like tech demos than games, but it was fascinating and fun. I do a little scripting in graphics design now, so the knowledge ended up being useful.

I'm in a CS degree, 1 year left for my Bachelors. I'm pretty good at C++, but have also used Python, Golang, learning Java for android, pretty good with Javascript, and php.

Tyger said:
I'm in a CS degree, 1 year left for my Bachelors. I'm pretty good at C++, but have also used Python, Golang, learning Java for android, pretty good with Javascript, and php.

Nice :)

- - - Updated - - -

LaLoneDigi said:
I used to do a little BASIC as a child. Had fun trying to make a rougelike and a ship shooter. They were more like tech demos than games, but it was fascinating and fun. I do a little scripting in graphics design now, so the knowledge ended up being useful.

BASIC is one of my favorite programming languages, original basic is kinda dead these days, but its a good language to play around with when your board or for a retro feeling :)

- - - Updated - - -

Owls said:
C++ for me, and a little Java and html.

HTML, i remember that, I never found it that hard to pick up, it technically was one of my first programming languages, if you count html as a programming language, however I started with C then moved to BASIC, for some stuffed up reason, I remember C being easy as pi, then again I do have a higher iq then average.

C/C++, Java, PHP, Perl... yadda yadda.

I was generally more comfortable with C++ in school, but at my job I do mostly Java (Java EE... EJB, JSF, JSP).

I've played around with apple script to get my mac to do things I want... and objective c. I'm happy you can just use javascript now, as apple script is way too verbose to me.

I'm not too picky about programming languages. With a good IDE, a lot of the various irritations go away.

That being said, I think it would behoove most people to learn C/C++ at least at a basic level if they're serious about programming.

I am currently studying software engineering and it's amazing, I don't use a specific one but I've used a lot of C++, html and some JAVA but I've also worked a little bit with python. I would say I know the basic, nothing fancy now, but I hope to learn more someday

Littledaimon said:
I am currently studying software engineering and it's amazing, I don't use a specific one but I've used a lot of C++, html and some JAVA but I've also worked a little bit with python. I would say I know the basic, nothing fancy now, but I hope to learn more someday

That is somewhat like me, nowadays i don't code much C/C++ its all python and I don't usally do anything fancy either.

I've been wanting to learn Tcl/Tk for a while. I think that was actually the first language I ever tried to work with. My father is a software engineer, and as a side project he had been using that language to code a companion program to an old tabletop football sim. He left it unfinished, and I had wanted to try and complete it. Never got to it. This was a while ago now. I'm not even sure we have the source code anymore. If we don't I'll probably let Tcl go.

I'm a physics major that likes programming a lot. I mainly know C++ and Java. Programming is used by many physicists to solve many problems. In fact all the unsolved problems in physics can't be solved analytically, so you have to write a program to solve them.

sciencedude said:
I'm a physics major that likes programming a lot. I mainly know C++ and Java. Programming is used by many physicists to solve many problems. In fact all the unsolved problems in physics can't be solved analytically, so you have to write a program to solve them.

nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Amcon said:
I've been wanting to learn Tcl/Tk for a while. I think that was actually the first language I ever tried to work with. My father is a software engineer, and as a side project he had been using that language to code a companion program to an old tabletop football sim. He left it unfinished, and I had wanted to try and complete it. Never got to it. This was a while ago now. I'm not even sure we have the source code anymore. If we don't I'll probably let Tcl go.

python has a tcl/tk wrapper if you're interested.

RS-274-D and Fanuc Macro B for me. Not exactly software programming...its for hardware RTOS machines. No compiling, little error checking from the control, I'm allowed zero mistakes or expensive things on earth break. My current coworker is a $1M robot with about 100hp in motors and runs Win 2k embedded:frown:. The support software is only so good with the post processors so you have to hand edit for compatibility.

thingywhat said:
I'm kinda all over the map when it comes to programming; so, to keep it reasonably short, I'll just list my two current favorite languages:

My best language is JavaScript. It's tiny, it's expressive, it's everywhere, and it has a surprising amount of terse (and often functional) awesome in it.

For example, if I wanted to parse URL parameters into an object, I could use String.prototype.replace for string traversal with a Regular expression and an anonymous function:
Code:
parameterString.replace(/([^&=]+)=([^&])+/g, function(all, key, val){
  parameters[key] = val;
});

That would turn "a=2&b=2&something=Stuff" into an object like:
Code:
{
  "a":2,
  "b":2,
  "something":"Stuff"
}

The functions in Array.prototype can also be used to create functional pipelines that can do some real sorcery with collections.
For example:
Code:
[].map.call(document.getElementsByTagName('input'), function(targ){
  return {
    "key": targ.name,
    "value": targ.value
  };
});

This would take every single input field from a page, and return it in an array of objects representing each.
Just wrap that with a JSON.stringify(), and it's ready to be posted somewhere. (Or, you can add Array.prototype.filter or Array.prototype.reduce to the pipeline change what gets returned.)

The other language I like, is Common Lisp.
It has super-powerful macros, a ludicrously awesome object system (It supports things like multimethods, multiple-inheritance, and method combinations), a sweet error handling system that doesn't kill your stack when it runs into a problem, and a bunch of other really gnarly features.

For example, this was the meat in my implementation of Dijkstra's pathfinding algorithm (The pseudocode for it on Wikipedia is several times longer):
Code:
(loop with hash = (make-distance-hash end)
  for distance from (or (gethash start hash) 0) downto 0
  and node = start then (find-adjacent (1- distance))
  collect node)

Also, this is a macro, and when run, expands to WAY more than 4 lines of code.

I've messed with Javascript before, Its a nice small language, somewhat resembles C.

- - - Updated - - -

ZombifiedKitty said:
RS-274-D and Fanuc Macro B for me. Not exactly software programming...its for hardware RTOS machines. No compiling, little error checking from the control, I'm allowed zero mistakes or expensive things on earth break. My current coworker is a $1M robot with about 100hp in motors and runs Win 2k embedded:frown:. The support software is only so good with the post processors so you have to hand edit for compatibility.

W2K? holy cow! haha, thats something you don't see daily, that is so outdated, and nice :)

thingywhat said:
Aye..! (Though the C-style braces is about the only way they are similar.)

C is an imperative and procedural language, whereas JavaScript is a multi-paradigm procedural/object oriented/functional language.

And even comparing javascript to c++ in relation to OOP, they are hugely different, as javascript is prototype based with no real concept of a class, and c++ revolves entirely around the concept of classes. They are pretty much polar opposite in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back