Programmers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thingywhat said:
Well... That's not entirely true anymore. ES6, the most recent version of JavaScript has classes now..!
This JavaScript playground has a good classes example to show what I mean.

IIRC ES6 classes are a wrapper for some prototype patterns, because the two actually translate quite well...

Bah, still rubbish ;p

cozycandyfly said:
W2K? holy cow! haha, thats something you don't see daily, that is so outdated, and nice :)

Yeah, PLC and related industrial computing is unique in that they only get one working revision and are never updated for the life of the machine. They are time capsules. People thought stuxnet was super terrible but frankly the auto run utilities on a U3 flash drive have knocked out machines at a previous shop and needed to be re-imaged because they failed a checksum on boot. Very fragile and very exacting.

My Integrex 200-IIIST is running a 300Mhz Geode cpu...

ZombifiedKitty said:
Yeah, PLC and related industrial computing is unique in that they only get one working revision and are never updated for the life of the machine. They are time capsules. People thought stuxnet was super terrible but frankly the auto run utilities on a U3 flash drive have knocked out machines at a previous shop and needed to be re-imaged because they failed a checksum on boot. Very fragile and very exacting.

My Integrex 200-IIIST is running a 300Mhz Geode cpu...

Pretty much this. It's not unique to industrial either, aviation and defence are similar because they are often isolated systems set up to do a set number of things and have to be rigorously tested and certified. The hardware itself is also often ruggedized and certified, which makes upgrading very cost prohibitive. If your flight systems management suite can do all the things which need doing, no reason it can't run on a solaris 2.5 box, and those industries tend to future proof by ordering pallets of spares to last them for the expected lifetime of the system.

If you want to work on ancient gear using tools and languages which may not even exist outside that kit, aviation, and defence are definitely a good place to go (imo these are also really good industries for long term career stability, as they are hard to outsource (especially defence), involve a lot of domain specific knowledge that makes it hard to just replace people, and tend to have support periods measured in decades.

Primarily C++ myself, though I have messed around in a variety of other languages for a while here and there, such as Java, C#, PHP. Also have a rather large soft-spot for Lua as that was actually my first language, and started it all.

Recently I've finally started to look into Unity (kept meaning to get around to it but never did), and have been having some fun messing around with that. Working with getting used to the basics at the moment but, can't wait to start getting into more interesting, larger scale things with it.

I work as a software engineer tinkering with Linux, Linux servers, virtualization and embedded work. Not a whole lot of programming but I'm a bit a shell junky.

I write C, C++, Java and C# code for work. For fun, I write C, Java, Perl, and Python. I can generally pick up procedural and OO languages quickly (really quickly if they're curly-brace-and-semicolon languages). I struggle with purely functional languages like Lisp, Haskell, etc. Lambda calculus makes my head hurt lol. I have a BBA in MIS (wanted BS in comp sci. but scholarship was for BBA so I went for MIS instead). I'd love to find someone who would pay for me to get an MS in Comp sci. :p

Me C/C++, C#, Java (to create mods in minecreft longtime ago now I use it for android), JavaScript(also ajax, jQuery), Python, PHP, CSS, HTML/HTML5 (if they count), and SQL.
OOP languages are fast and nice to pick up. I started with html then Python, other codes ext. Lately I been working on Python, PHP, and jQuery (hand on hand); I like python because of the speed, power, and love the cleanliness of the code; and now have more respect for it then before (when I thought it just a toy), it is funny how things work.

I use the Lisp family almost exclusively... Common Lisp for most things, DSSSL for document processing. Learned on assembler and Forth. I breath system programming.

As an engineer (currently working towards a masters degree) it's mostly down to Matlab, or C++ if you need the speed. I'd like to use python one day though. The code I've seen so far was pretty clean, could be a nice way to handle some calculations and plots if you don't have a tool like Matlab on hand.

I've used a variety of languages, sometimes for fun, other times for work: Java, C, TCL, HTML, CSS, SQL, Python, Javascript, shell scripting, and PHP. If I had to choose, I'd pick C and Python as the most interesting or pleasant to work with.

I started programming a few years ago on the web, and while I have started making mobile applications, my new job prevents me from doing so. I don't have a super broad lineup of languages, but I'm expanding every day! So far I know HTML (not a language but everyone lists anway), CSS, Javascript, PHP, C++, Objective-C, Swift, and soon I'm learning Python for work with my new Raspberry Pi 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back