Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programmers?

cozycandyfly

Default Programmers?

I'm just wondering, are there any programmers who are ABDL, and if so which programming language you use and why?

There's a fair number of programmer types around.

For me it's mostly c++ and java for work these days, but I've worked with a whole variety of things from shitty scripting languages to assembly languages for weird architectures. Lately I deal with data distribution and high availability within distributed systems, in particular around stuff such as DDS, and HLA/DIS.

At home it's usually c++, though I don't do as much hobby coding as I used to, nor do I contribute to open source much beyond occasional patches any more (just don't have time or motivation).

As to reasons, c++ and java are kinda the default for me, as scripting language type gigs don't pay here very well and tend to be web stuff (which I avoid like the plague) and I live a largely Microsoft free lifestyle (at work and home) so the .NET stack is out (they can open source it all the want, as someone who was around during the 90s I don't think I'll ever trust Microsoft), and I'm even more anti-Apple (so no obj-c or whatever the new thing they've got is), so I don't see a lot of other viable choices (I'm not fond of these flash in the pan languages that seem to pop up every year).

There is a programming group
    As for me, I use c++ mainly as well. I have been looking at java recently tho for things like android dev.

cozycandyfly

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    There's a fair number of programmer types around.

For me it's mostly c++ and java for work these days, but I've worked with a whole variety of things from shitty scripting languages to assembly languages for weird architectures. Lately I deal with data distribution and high availability within distributed systems, in particular around stuff such as DDS, and HLA/DIS.

At home it's usually c++, though I don't do as much hobby coding as I used to, nor do I contribute to open source much beyond occasional patches any more (just don't have time or motivation).

As to reasons, c++ and java are kinda the default for me, as scripting language type gigs don't pay here very well and tend to be web stuff (which I avoid like the plague) and I live a largely Microsoft free lifestyle (at work and home) so the .NET stack is out (they can open source it all the want, as someone who was around during the 90s I don't think I'll ever trust Microsoft), and I'm even more anti-Apple (so no obj-c or whatever the new thing they've got is), so I don't see a lot of other viable choices (I'm not fond of these flash in the pan languages that seem to pop up every year).
    Fair enough, I've got a book on both C# and C++, however i never got around to reading the C++ book, as it is terribly written and bores the crap out of me , the C# book is somewhat better and more understandable, but this has nothing to do with C# being better, the C++ book is terrible, only reason why i have the C++ book was because I come from a ANSI C99 background and needed it for reference and wanted to learn new things, but.. sadly that book let me down ahaha, C++ is a good language none the less, these days I'm more of a python programmer.

C with a little C++ for me. Scratched the surface of C# but haven't had much of a chance to learn it.

I used to do a little BASIC as a child. Had fun trying to make a rougelike and a ship shooter. They were more like tech demos than games, but it was fascinating and fun. I do a little scripting in graphics design now, so the knowledge ended up being useful.

I'm in a CS degree, 1 year left for my Bachelors. I'm pretty good at C++, but have also used Python, Golang, learning Java for android, pretty good with Javascript, and php.

cozycandyfly

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I'm in a CS degree, 1 year left for my Bachelors. I'm pretty good at C++, but have also used Python, Golang, learning Java for android, pretty good with Javascript, and php.
    Nice

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaLoneDigi View Post
    I used to do a little BASIC as a child. Had fun trying to make a rougelike and a ship shooter. They were more like tech demos than games, but it was fascinating and fun. I do a little scripting in graphics design now, so the knowledge ended up being useful.
    BASIC is one of my favorite programming languages, original basic is kinda dead these days, but its a good language to play around with when your board or for a retro feeling

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Owls View Post
    C++ for me, and a little Java and html.
    HTML, i remember that, I never found it that hard to pick up, it technically was one of my first programming languages, if you count html as a programming language, however I started with C then moved to BASIC, for some stuffed up reason, I remember C being easy as pi, then again I do have a higher iq then average.

C/C++, Java, PHP, Perl... yadda yadda.

I was generally more comfortable with C++ in school, but at my job I do mostly Java (Java EE... EJB, JSF, JSP).

I've played around with apple script to get my mac to do things I want... and objective c. I'm happy you can just use javascript now, as apple script is way too verbose to me.

I'm not too picky about programming languages. With a good IDE, a lot of the various irritations go away.

That being said, I think it would behoove most people to learn C/C++ at least at a basic level if they're serious about programming.