Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaChar

Moderated
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
Hey everyone! Today is Earth day and its a day that we need to think about how wonderful our planet we live on. Also our planet isn't feeling so well from all the stuff we are doing to this planet but you can help make it better!

This thread is for posting all ways that you can protect the environment in the style of our type of interests that we have. Ill start! Make a silly title and explain the ways that you help out the environment.

1: Diaper Dah Earth Hero

Diapers are really neato as a protective form of underwear and they put up with us alot. Littlarty! Ever since disposable diapers were invented in the 1950-60, they have been a huge convience to both parents and those who are fans of the amazing underwear but....This convience has come with a cost. Disposable diapers are made with wood pulp(comes from trees),SAP(super absorbent polymer) as well as a range of plastics.Here's some facts you might know as well as ways you can give mother earth a break.

Basic facts about diapers:

-A diaper is a form of underwear that its perpous is to absorb what comes off as waste of a animal or anything else really.

-Disposable diapers strengths is that they absorb on a factor of 50 times better then cloth but damages the environment by cutting down trees to make the diaper core as well as burning fossil fuels to make the plastics.

-Cloth Diapers for the most part can hold between 2-7 times its weight in liquids while disposable's can hold anywhere between 15-50 times its weight in liquids.

How to save the enviroment with diapers:

You might not know this but did you know that if your saving the enviroment that you save money? Its true!

-If you wear disposable diapers,buy diapers that have the highest absorbancy that you can find. Did you know that low absorbancy diapers can cost more money in the long run and put more diapers in the land fill? This techinec can also help parents who struggle with affording their kids with diapers. Also low absorbancy disposable diapers usually have harsh chemicals in order to "boost absorbancy" or to "help the color".

-Recycle Recycle! Did you know that disposable diapers can be recycled into new products or made as energy. Call your garbage company to see if any diaper recycling options are available.

Ok, its your turn! What ABDL stuff did you do to help the enviroment out?

MegaChar said:
Recycle Recycle! Did you know that disposable diapers can be recycled into new products or made as energy. Call your garbage company to see if any diaper recycling options are available.
Do you have a link that you would share? Honestly, when I search, I don't find anything encouraging about actually recycling disposable diapers. On the contrary, in fact; the recycling services that mention disposable diapers mostly say that they are too complicated (too many different materials) and too contaminated with hazardous biological waste to merit recycling.

Of course there are new and more biodegradable disposable diaper options coming out every year--corn-starch cores, plant-based PLA covers, etc. Unfortunately, these are only (now) available in baby sizes. Perhaps, at some point, we'll get adult versions. That would be really cool. I see this as the shortest path to "green" disposable diaper usage.

MegaChar said:

Well, I mostly use cloth diapers these days. And my electricity comes from hydroelectric dams, so I can at least claim that I don't have to burn coal to wash my diapers. I can't help but chuckle a bit when people buy electric cars in areas served by coal plants and congratulate themselves for having weaned themselves off of fossil fuels--while (effectively) driving around in a coal-powered car. Yeeeaaaaah.

But, to be honest, I don't really strive for greenness in my diaper habits. What greenness is there is mostly accidental. I do, however, make other decisions in the name of greenness. I'm very conscientious about recycling common recyclables, shunning products with an excess of packaging, and reusing packaging--bags, boxes, etc.--as much as possible before either putting them in the garbage or in the recycle bin. And my wife has an electric car. :)

Don't allow disposables to reach our landfills, that's one of the worst things that can be done as they take a very very long time to break down and fill up those places very quickly. I agree on recycling them, however.

I just use cloth and reusable diapers to do my part on that end. It costs a little more and needs some maintenance but its worth the work for our environments sake.

Interestingly, the Abena Air Plus diapers (I know, cloth backed, don't hate) are certified as Nordic Ecolabel and suppose to be 80% biodegradable and 99% compostable.

I don't care, the effects won't happen in my lifetime and our children's grandchildren will be too absorbed in their iThings to care.

I can definitely relate to Eco-guilt regarding this fetish. Unfortunately, part of the diaper fetish that really draws me into it is the plastic and the crinkle, so I can't see myself using cloth. Sorry.

So far, I've compensated for this by improving as much as possible in all other aspects of my life. I can also get beyond the whole Non-green aspect of this fetish by not wearing too often.

As far as recycling goes, I had no idea disposable diapers were recyclable at all. So that's at least good news to hear. =)

I use mostly cloth and have enough to only wash once a week at most for diaper loads. I have plastic backed disposables, but I only use them when I'm going to some kind of Ab/DL event and might need a change, but when I'm home I'm in cloth. I recycle cans, cardboard and some plastics. I believe that using cloth is as much satisfying and for me sometimes even more satisfying than disposables. I have big thick pre-folds, with a really high quality (and crinkly) plastic pants. I also have some AIO that I use for more everyday wearing.

MegaChar said:

Interesting stuff! No place near me seems to offer diaper recycling, though. The disposal companies usually have web sites where they rigorously define "garbage" versus "recyclables". The Seattle-area companies I've pulled up all make it very clear that diapers go in the garbage. :-/ (They also state that one is to dump solid waste out of the diapers into the toilet before throwing them away, which I'm pretty certain almost nobody bothers to do.)

It'll be interesting to see if this catches on. Obviously, until they can get mainstream recycling companies to pull diapers out of your general-purpose recycling bin, they'll mainly be dealing with parents who care enough about the planet to drive to a recycling center, but don't care enough to just use cloth diapers instead of disposables. I sort of expect that's a small group of people, but who knows?

Some people don't get their trash picked up by a garbage collection company, and have to drive to a recycling center to get rid of their trash anyways.

MegaChar said:
Hey everyone! Today is Earth day and its a day that we need to think about how wonderful our planet we live on. Also our planet isn't feeling so well from all the stuff we are doing to this planet but you can help make it better!

This thread is for posting all ways that you can protect the environment in the style of our type of interests that we have. Ill start! Make a silly title and explain the ways that you help out the environment.

1: Diaper Dah Earth Hero

Diapers are really neato as a protective form of underwear and they put up with us alot. Littlarty! Ever since disposable diapers were invented in the 1950-60, they have been a huge convience to both parents and those who are fans of the amazing underwear but....This convience has come with a cost. Disposable diapers are made with wood pulp(comes from trees),SAP(super absorbent polymer) as well as a range of plastics.Here's some facts you might know as well as ways you can give mother earth a break.

Basic facts about diapers:

-A diaper is a form of underwear that its perpous is to absorb what comes off as waste of a animal or anything else really.

-Disposable diapers strengths is that they absorb on a factor of 50 times better then cloth but damages the environment by cutting down trees to make the diaper core as well as burning fossil fuels to make the plastics.

-Cloth Diapers for the most part can hold between 2-7 times its weight in liquids while disposable's can hold anywhere between 15-50 times its weight in liquids.

How to save the enviroment with diapers:

You might not know this but did you know that if your saving the enviroment that you save money? Its true!

-If you wear disposable diapers,buy diapers that have the highest absorbancy that you can find. Did you know that low absorbancy diapers can cost more money in the long run and put more diapers in the land fill? This techinec can also help parents who struggle with affording their kids with diapers. Also low absorbancy disposable diapers usually have harsh chemicals in order to "boost absorbancy" or to "help the color".

-Recycle Recycle! Did you know that disposable diapers can be recycled into new products or made as energy. Call your garbage company to see if any diaper recycling options are available.

well its true higher obsorbancy diapers are better in the long run it can be more effective depending onhow long you use them and how long it take for example if you were a diaper that's obsorbant but change after your first wetting then you might as well wear diapers that are smaller so wear diapers for a longer time and sit in it (to help if that's not your thing don't drink alot of water fast but slow it down to a few gulps per half hour so you wont have to go as much this will let you make medium obsorbant diapers last the whole day or alot of it)

as well if you wear pull ups you can not wet it the second you have it on but wait a few hours or even a couple days then wet it

and lastly altho diaposable diapers are great take a look at a few cloth options not for ever but just for once and awhile (trust me when your out of your stash and need more having one you know is not going away is great)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back