Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.

4369660844.png

Hmm... Are you definitely installing the right driver? From your PC specs, it looks like you'd need the one for "Realtek 8106E-CG Ethernet controller".

If the ethernet controller is a separate add-on card (unlikely), you could try removing it, wiping the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol on a lint-free cloth, and re-seating it.

If it's an on-board controller, you might want to check the BIOS settings to make sure it's enabled.

Or some other tips here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-7

tiny said:
Hmm... Are you definitely installing the right driver? From your PC specs, it looks like you'd need the one for "Realtek 8106E-CG Ethernet controller".

If it's an on-board controller, you might want to check the BIOS settings to make sure it's enabled.

Or some other tips here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-7

I know I have the right driver installed, so please stop assuming that's still the problem.

Moving on, my ethernet controller is indeed integrated/onboard. As for that article, I tried all of the suggestions and the onboard controller is still not working.

ToddlerNaruto said:
I know I have the right driver installed, so please stop assuming that's still the problem.

I wasn't assuming it was the cause of the problem. That's not how troubleshooting works.

tiny said:
I wasn't assuming it was the cause of the problem. That's not how troubleshooting works.

Sorry for my earlier post, it's just that you're not the only one that keeps on suggesting it might still be a driver issue.

Which can't possibly be the case since I've tried everything driver related.

ToddlerNaruto said:
Sorry for my earlier post, it's just that you're not the only one that keeps on suggesting it might still be a driver issue.

Which can't possibly be the case since I've tried everything driver related.

No worries, mate :) Sorry for being a bit shirty :)

I just can't think of anything else it could be... Unless there's a physical fault with the socket (e.g. not all pins make contact with the RJ-45 plug) or the component is busted beyond repair.

Are there any errors shown or any settings you can change in the Device Manager?

If not, I'm stumped. It sounds properly broken!

tiny said:
No worries, mate :). Sorry for being a bit shirty :).

I just can't think of anything else it could be...Unless there's a physical fault with the socket (e.g. not all pins make contact with the RJ-45 plug) or the component is busted beyond repair.

Are there any errors shown or any settings you can change in the Device Manager?

If not, I'm stumped. It sounds properly broken!

Sadly it does seem like the case. I guess I'll have to invest in a new ethernet adapter.

Can anyone here recommend me a good brand? I know of TP-Link, but are there any others?

Before I get on topic here -- I just have to say I like this thread. Or well, I suppose this thread makes me feel more comfortable here at ADISC. I'm into networking technology now (after my terrible time with computer science during my university days). Usually people tell me I'm making their brain hurt because they don't understand techie terms like static IP, DHCP, or public vs private (or local) IP addresses. I'm not into making peoples heads explode so I usually keep quite about my passion. So it's comforting that I might be able to share some of my interest in networking with others here :)

So with that said:
ToddlerNaruto said:
Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway? [...] I want to be able to have the ethernet running at the same time as the wireless, if possible.
It's possible that the reason why you lose internet is because when you plug in the Ethernet cable Windows switches (or defaults) to using the wired connection for internet access. With your built-in Ethernet socket possibly being defective or broken or, at least, malfunctioning -- it doesn't have any reason to switch to using the Wi-Fi since it still has a layer 2 connection to your modem / gateway / router (whatever you want to call it). I'd be curious to see if your internet drops out when you have both the USB ethernet port and wireless connected at the same time.
ToddlerNaruto said:
Sadly it does seem like the case. I guess I'll have to invest in a new ethernet adapter.

Can anyone here recommend me a good brand? I know of TP-Link, but are there any others?
IMO, maybe it isn't yours, but I feel that network cards are a straight commodity. I'd just buy on price. Anything in the $10-$15 range. Anything above that and you're just over paying. Anything below that I'd be concerned about quality / longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back