Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Question Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
    PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
    CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
    RAM: 4.0 GB
    Video: Intel HD Graphics
    HDD: 500 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ToddlerNaruto View Post
    Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.
    Sorry -- I'm not quite sure I understand what's happening. Do you mean that your PC is connected wirelessly, but when you plug in an ethernet cable it loses all network connectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Sorry -- I'm not quite sure I understand what's happening. Do you mean that your PC is connected wirelessly, but when you plug in an ethernet cable it loses all network connectivity?
    That's correct. I want to be able to have the ethernet running at the same time as the wireless, if possible.

Using both Wifi and Ethernet at the same time is rather redundant and doesn't do anything for your speed if it's on the same computer. So if you're trying to achieve faster speeds by using both wifi and Ethernet at the same time it won't work.

-And if you're not using this on the same computer, using wifi and Ethernet at the same time can also slow down a router-

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Using both Wifi and Ethernet at the same time is rather redundant and doesn't do anything for your speed if it's on the same computer. So if you're trying to achieve faster speeds by using both wifi and Ethernet at the same time it won't work.

-And if you're not using this on the same computer, using wifi and Ethernet at the same time can also slow down a router-
    Oh, I see. Can I disable our wifi? I'm wondering if our ethernet can only run if the wifi isnt enabled.

It shouldn't be a problem from the computer end having wifi and ethernet on, but as AddyShadows said, it can slow down the router having to deal with all of that.

So does your connection work just fine when you are running over wifi? Unless you are transferring data within your network, or you have a really really good internet connection, connecting by ethernet isn't going to make it any faster. Your bandwidth is being limited by your internet connection simply because most internet costs more for bandwidth than it does to have a 100mb or even 1Gb router in your house.

If you do want to test if it is an issue with having wireless on, you can disable your wireless by going into the network and sharing center (find it from either the wireless bars on the bottom right, or press "windows-key + q" and type a search for 'network and sharing center'). You can then go to a button that says "change adapter settings," from there you can right click on wireless and 'disable', or 'enable', depending on its current state.

You may want to go into that same area and right click on the ethernet connection and go to properties, and then double click on ipv4 and make sure that it is set to "obtain an ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server address automatically." Sometimes those get changed, and they will mess you up. Your computer is set to choose an ethernet connection over a wireless connection, so if there is some setting messing up your ethernet, then it will think it is connected, but really you are just screwed, so this would kinda make sense why you are having this problem.

Oh, I see. Can I disable our wifi? I'm wondering if our ethernet can only run if the wifi isnt enabled.
    Just for a reference point, my computer, a TV DVR, Security DVR and a wired-to-WiFi TV signal converter are all Cat 5 connected to my U-verse system. My wife's tablet communicates over WiFi via a repeater. We do not have noticeable speed problems, but then we are not gaming either. Since the technician had no problem with his laptop speed, I agree with Tyger that it has something to do with your computer hardware and/or its settings.

This might help:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wi...8+disable+wifi

Depends on the age and make of your PC. The older ones can't handle wired and wireless at the same time, while the newer models have no problem. If you're using a desktop PC, most aren't equipped with a wireless adapter anyway. If it's a laptop, most have a button along the top row of keys that toggles wireless on and off. No need to go into your network settings for that.

Wifi on the router end can be disabled easily, there's usually a button somewhere on the router to disable it, but as long as the router is turned on and plugged into your exterior internet source from your isp (The wire that runs from outside into the house) You should be able to plug into your router with no problem and go on the internet. Generally being plugged in is faster than wifi because the further you are away from the router the weaker the signal is, other things like cell phone signals and electrical interfearence slow down wifi, walls and doors can also hamper wifi. That said I use both wifi and ethernet on my router as I run laptops, desktops, some game consoles and 2 kindles, the laptops, consoles, and kindles I need to be portable so I'm stuck unless I want to run a 100 foot ethernet cable (Which I do actually run one from my router to a blu-ray player for the upstairs TV for netflix.)

So in short: Yes you can disable wifi and run ethernet perfectly fine, however keep in mind that if you disable your wifi things like Ipads and such won't be able to connect to the internet unless you have another wifi source for them.