Status
Not open for further replies.

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Good day all,

My current desktop is starting to show its age and I have been looking at ordering new parts for it and at a huge marked up price. Basically the plan was to use what I have that works and doesn't need replacing and upgrade what does. So case, video card, power supply...all good.

The issue I have is in Newfoundland there aren't many places aside from small businesses that sell parts to buy like that. Futureshop just recently closed shop and Best Buy & Staples have stopped carrying the peripherals I need. I am also getting mixed reviews from people who have ordered from NCIX. Some saying they wouldn't go near the place and others saying they have had no issue. -le sigh- So, for those of you who have bought loose parts and built your own systems, what places would you recommend? Either in Canada or ship to Canada without costing an arm and a leg preferably.

Have you tried newegg? I think their shipping is free if you order is over a set amount. Not sure if they ship to Canada, but you can check thier website and also ask them if they can ship to Canada.

newegg.com

I live in Nova Scotia, and have found newegg to be the most consistently reliable online store. Tigerdirect used to be good, but they went down hill fast (around the time newegg started operating in Canada, I think they couldn't handle real competition). NCIX is ok, but their site isn't as nice and their shipping/tracking is a bit sketchy, I tend to go with them for stuff I can't find at newegg.

Buying anything computer related except in a dire emergency from futureshop/staples/best buy is a terrible idea anyway. Way over-priced and terrible selection.

Have you checked Amazon? When I was doing a build over Christmastime, I used that for a lot of the parts. Canadian Amazon may not be as good though.

Thing I find with amazon (at least here in Canada) is that most of their stuff isn't actually sold by amazon, but by various other "partners". Some are good, some are not. It's starting to feel like ebay.

BoundCoder said:
Thing I find with amazon (at least here in Canada) is that most of their stuff isn't actually sold by amazon, but by various other "partners". Some are good, some are not. It's starting to feel like ebay.

Agreed. Its a glorified Ebay in Canada. Ive found the scattered item ive been looking for on there, but most times ive had very little luck.

Ive had a look at a couple of sites; newegg included. Now I just have to decide what the best plan is for myself.

amazon is Only Good for the Retro Stuff you cant Get anywhere else other than that there is an online store for just about anything Else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back