Status
Not open for further replies.

dd1983

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hey everybody,

Hope you all are having a great weekend. I’ve been a little discouraged about something that happened this weekend…

I was out and about running errands this weekend. I was wearing a north shore supreme brief which normally work fantastic for me. I don’t know if it is the cut that fits me well or just how absorbent it is… but I have never had a problem.

So, I was out running errands enjoying the beautiful weather.

Well, apparently I had a few accidents while I was out, and my diaper was much wetter than I had originally thought. As I was walking through the store, I felt something on the back of my leg and realized I had a huge accident and my diaper was leaking all over the back of my pants. My whole backside was wet where the diaper had leaked!

I tried to keep my cool, but I was so embarrassed. I’ve had a few slight leaks here and there, but never one this big.

I know anyone who deals with incontinence has experienced leaks… but it can be so embarrassing when they happen in public.

Anyway, so much for my rant! Hope that you all are having a much “drier” weekend than me!

DD

Change more often

CPDude said:
Change more often

Indeed. Lessoned learned. Fortunately I had a spare diaper with me and was able to change immediately... but it was still pretty embarrassing.

I absolutely love NorthShores as well. They are excellent for absorbency and keeping you feeling dry. I have discovered though, that when they finally reach capacity they will leak catastrophically and without warning. Other diapers I always get a sense of them filling to a point or they tend to get damp around the leg gathers. Not NorthShores. They will perform to the utmost of their abilities, then the dam will break if pushed beyond the limit.

Llayden said:
I absolutely love NorthShores as well. They are excellent for absorbency and keeping you feeling dry. I have discovered though, that when they finally reach capacity they will leak catastrophically and without warning. Other diapers I always get a sense of them filling to a point or they tend to get damp around the leg gathers. Not NorthShores. They will perform to the utmost of their abilities, then the dam will break if pushed beyond the limit.

Agreed. They are fantastic diapers, but when they are at capacity, it is imperative to change right away... A lesson I learned all to poignantly this weekend. They are still great, though, and I will continue to use them. I will just make it a point to pay a lot more attention to how wet it is!

dd1983 said:
Agreed. They are fantastic diapers, but when they are at capacity, it is imperative to change right away... A lesson I learned all to poignantly this weekend. They are still great, though, and I will continue to use them. I will just make it a point to pay a lot more attention to how wet it is!

It is amazing how well they keep you feeling comfortable when they are saturated. It makes it much more difficult to judge when they ARE saturated. I also learned that lesson a hard way with these diapers. Not quite as badly as you did maybe… :)

Llayden said:
It is amazing how well they keep you feeling comfortable when they are saturated. It makes it much more difficult to judge when they ARE saturated. I also learned that lesson a hard way with these diapers. Not quite as badly as you did maybe… :)

I agree. They are very comfortable even when wet. Apparently in my case they were too comfy! :)

Anybody else have stories of a bad leak?

If you push yopur nappy to the max you risk wetting your pants.

DD1983, two things. If you were out in public, and particularly if there was a chance of pushing your diaper to capacity, you certainly should have been wearing plastic pants on top. Also, a pair of compression pants or the equivalent - mesh pants or strong spandex underwear, would help to keep everything in place and also would put more pressure on the leg gathers to delay the leaks. I'm double incontinent and wear 24/7 and this is fairly standard.

Wishing you a drier day tomorrow!:)

--John

jdinvirginia said:
DD1983, two things. If you were out in public, and particularly if there was a chance of pushing your diaper to capacity, you certainly should have been wearing plastic pants on top. Also, a pair of compression pants or the equivalent - mesh pants or strong spandex underwear, would help to keep everything in place and also would put more pressure on the leg gathers to delay the leaks. I'm double incontinent and wear 24/7 and this is fairly standard.

Wishing you a drier day tomorrow!:)

--John

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. I did have a pair of compression shorts on, but I typically don't wear plastic pants. Normally, it's never been too much of an issue until this incident. Lesson learned here is to pay more attention to how wet I am while out and about. It was several hours of not checking and obviously I can't go that long in between changes. Ooops :)

Understood. It is when I am involved in something interesting that I lose track of time, with the consequent wet result!:sad:

--John

Unless you pay attention to the condition of your protection it will leak. It happens to the best of us.

I tend to like Northshores the most because they always do the same thing before they leak. The moment I noticed they are coming up towards the back, I know I had better change otherwise I'll start leaking up the back. Most other diapers I often have to guess, but I like these because it's almost always pretty easy. The problem is you get busy or forget about checking your diaper until its too late and leaks happen. I often have both a change of diapers and a change of pants in the car. Just an extra diaper doesn't help when your pants already got wet.

No matter what, we will all suffer leaks to some extent as we deal with our condition. I know when I left work yesterday I was beginning to leak. It happens. It's part of dealing with this problem.

As a added precaution when I wear Northshore Supreme's I use a booster pad inside to give it more life(I usually place the booster further back where I am most likely to leak). When the booster gets to max capacity I can tell when I have maybe a hour of life left in that diaper. I have never had a leak in one of those yet. If you are embarrassed by leaks I would recommend wearing dark colored clothing because any wetness will not be as obvious. I also carry extra clothes with me in my backpack where ever I go to help manage things. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about these things but I do actually like to be considerate of other's when I am out and about though.

I have been prettty fortunate with not leaking at work. Last week I had a bad incident though. I felt myself wetting my diaper as I was watering the plant in my office. Suddenly, I felt the horrible feeling of urine running down my leg. I looked down and my khaki's fully showed the extent of my leak. I quickly grabbed some paper towels out of my desk and dabbed my pants. Luckily the pants dried within 30 minutes and I was able to head to the bathroom to change my diaper. It was definitely one of the most uncomfortable situations since I have had my incontinence issues begin almost 10 years ago.

bayareadl21 said:
I have been prettty fortunate with not leaking at work. Last week I had a bad incident though. I felt myself wetting my diaper as I was watering the plant in my office. Suddenly, I felt the horrible feeling of urine running down my leg. I looked down and my khaki's fully showed the extent of my leak. I quickly grabbed some paper towels out of my desk and dabbed my pants. Luckily the pants dried within 30 minutes and I was able to head to the bathroom to change my diaper. It was definitely one of the most uncomfortable situations since I have had my incontinence issues begin almost 10 years ago.

Sorry to hear that... yeah it is definitely a bummer when leaks happen in public. Hope that it wasn't too embarrassing for you.

Fortunately I've learned from my experience and haven't had any big leaks since then :)

dd1983 said:
Sorry to hear that... yeah it is definitely a bummer when leaks happen in public. Hope that it wasn't too embarrassing for you.

Fortunately I've learned from my experience and haven't had any big leaks since then :)

Fortunately nobody noticed but it was definitely a wake up call for me to remember to change often!!!

I have severe overactive bladder and urge incontinence due to complications from cauda equina syndrome and have been diapered off-and-on since 1987, and 24/7 since 2006. I am active professionally and socially and don't cut any corners with my protection...Abena X-Plus, booster pad and plastic pants...and have only wet my pants once and the bed twice in nine years, which I think is pretty good given my very poor bladder control. Any diaper combination, no matter how high-end or expensive can leak, so I have learned to wear the highest quality I can afford and to be aware of how wet the diaper is and how long it's been since I changed. I still remember the first generation adult diapers...no SAP and very unreliable, so I am very grateful for the high quality products that are so readily available now.

Also consider soaker pads or even a folded wash cloth to contain the extra ounces till you can change - anything to get you by.
Plastic/waterproof diaper cover is essential if you are pushing the envelope - know your limitations and take precautions.
It also helps to wear dark colored clothing giving you a chance to duck and recover. Whites and pastels are not so good at
camouflaging the telltale - 'Somebody has had an accident' !
If you are not well hydrated there is the possibility of urine having a more yellow color tainting your clothing !
Hopefully you are not sitting down in a public place leaving a pool behind !

Take care !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back