Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A brown country

Default A brown country

For 200 years the U.S. was a white, christian, country. Now whites are becoming a minority. Granted they make up the largest minority, so far, but they are now, or soon will be, no longer the majority. It seems obvious to me that racial fractures will be a threat to the unity of the country.

If the U.S. tries to maintain the white power structure in the face of this growing cultural diversity this will no doubt continue to fuel racial turmoil leading to national instability. An unstable world power is not a good thing.

On the other hand, carelessly embracing and encouraging cultural diversity without a strong sense of national unity could also weaken the power structure and lead to instability.

The U.S. is going through some growing pains right now. How do we maintain a sense of unity in all this diversity?

"For 200 years the U.S. was a white, christian, country. "
    Built on the blood of native red skins ,African slaves and any other race who would work for pittance just to be part of the American dream

The United States was never a Christian country.

It was founded by many men, some of whom were Christian, most of whom were Deists, who saw the damage religion could do to a country when directly involved in the governance.

And the United States was never a "white" country, either. We've always had an strong, ethnically diverse population. I'd be interested to hear some sort of concrete rationale as to why, exactly, embracing cultural diversity and losing some supposed "national unity" revolving around this white Christian population is a bad thing.

How do we maintain a sense of unity? We don't. And we shouldn't. At least not the type of unity you seem to be talking about. We should accept that other races are just as American as the white race is, and enjoy the culture that people from other countries bring with them to this nation. Unless Hispanics are just too scary for you, then, I don't know, go hide under the covers or something and let the rest of us enjoy the awesome Mexican food and grocery stores and stuff.

~

Now, if you're saying that the United States has been ruled by and served the interests of white Christians, that's another story entirely.

I mean, imagine it, a US Congress that WASN'T almost entirely made up of white dudes? It would be so divided on issues that it would be almost entirely ineffective! ...Waitasecond...

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    I mean, imagine it, a US Congress that WASN'T almost entirely made up of white dudes? It would be so divided on issues that it would be almost entirely ineffective! ...Waitasecond...

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    The U.S. is going through some growing pains right now. How do we maintain a sense of unity in all this diversity?
    Vote Republican. Its the liberal democrats who are playing the race card or the gender card or the gay card or the class warfare card every time you turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Vote Republican. Its the liberal democrats who are playing the race card or the gender card or the gay card or the class warfare card every time you turn around.
    I might

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    I might
    Please don't.

To the original question, I would say this. Economic, not racial demographics tend to be the primary indicator of success and power. At present, economic power lines up heavily with whites, especially Christian white men. That may change in the future (though likely much more slowly than overall population demographics). But the promise of the American Dream, the importance of freedom, and the values embodied in the Constitution aren't going to suddenly be ignored because some people in power have darker skin.

If values are ignored, it is primarily by people, many of whom are white male Christians, who are so greedy for their own personal power that they don't care what they have to sacrifice to obtain it.

Nice Fox News regurgitation man.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Nice Fox News regurgitation man.
    Let's try to not bring up fox news.