Thread: Pain

Default Pain

"Only great pain, the long, slow pain that takes its time... compels us to descend to our ultimate depths... I doubt that such pain makes us "better"; but I know it makes us more profound... In the end, lest what is most important remain unsaid: from such abysses, from such severe sickness, one returns newborn, having shed one's skin... with merrier senses, with a second dangerous innocence in joy, more childlike and yet a hundred times subtler than one has ever been before."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs

I can only hope he was correct. If you want to know what pain can really be just google CRPS.

Quote Originally Posted by acid4blood View Post
    "Only great pain, the long, slow pain that takes its time... compels us to descend to our ultimate depths... I doubt that such pain makes us "better"; but I know it makes us more profound... In the end, lest what is most important remain unsaid: from such abysses, from such severe sickness, one returns newborn, having shed one's skin... with merrier senses, with a second dangerous innocence in joy, more childlike and yet a hundred times subtler than one has ever been before."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs

I can only hope he was correct. If you want to know what pain can really be just google CRPS.
    That was too much for my tired eyes to read tonight (googled CRPS)... you have my empathy though... I have somewhat similar issues...
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by acid4blood View Post

I can only hope he was correct.
    he was in a way, but it depends on the type of pain and how it's caused and culled.
    certainly, the quote reminds me of quick relief from migraines which can make me quite giddy (i can also get giddy beforehand, too, for some reason). and it definitely reminds me of the time i had a root canal without anesthesia (something which teaches you the true meaning of 'blinding pain').
    the time that i've tended my own wounds have also been rewarded with the said relief afterwards, and very much have a sense of the post-orgasmic due to the physical and mental exertion.

the past five years have been a lesson in long-term pain and it's management, especially in terms of pain that no tablets will ease; i will admit that i am now lazy and freely resort to medicated pain relief-cum-.....i can't think of the word to describe it: it's kind of like doing the groundwork in order to allow the flood [of pain] to drain away naturally.
    there's no quick-fix, just a matter of continuous maintenance until it lessens of it's accord.
    and of course, there's no real sense of relief with such a slow process.

the latter is also something which first caught me by surprise when, after eight months of non-stop pain, i got my first sense of painlessness; my mind was quite fuggy from the pain and a lack of sleep and it took a bit of time to realize that i had no pain. it only lasted a couple of hours, but it was a step.
    the time between then and now has been filled learning not to celebrate the painlessness, for that will lead to pain.