Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borderline Personality Disorder - Transitional Objects

Default Borderline Personality Disorder - Transitional Objects

Hi everyone,

I am new here.

I'm wondering if anyone could share their insights and knowledge about any links between using diapers as transitional objects and having traits / diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.

I have heard there are correlations between the two. Anyone here have borderline personality disorder and use diapers for transitional objects? I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new here.

I'm wondering if anyone could share their insights and knowledge about any links between using diapers as transitional objects and having traits / diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.

I have heard there are correlations between the two. Anyone here have borderline personality disorder and use diapers for transitional objects? I know I do.
    I can remember going to the movies with my wife and kids, to see, "Girl Interrupted" and getting the shock of my life as I realized how similar I was to her during my four years of college, as well as high school, etc. I would attach myself to one very good friend, and be very upset if I couldn't be with them, for any reason. I cut myself, attempted suicide on several occasions, set our garage on fire, blew things up, stole from stores, and the sad list goes on and on. Eventually my mom sent me to a psychiatrist at a residential mental facility when I was in college. By then I was having a psychotic break. I came home for dinner and started crying. I couldn't stop.

All during this period I craved diapers. I'd wet my underwear, or bed, etc. I also suffered from depression, as well as fixating on certain things. I'm still somewhat like that, but I'm married and have been for a long time. I simply had to decide for myself that I wanted a more normal life. I wanted to live and fit into society.

I'm not sure there is a connection between borderline personality and transitional objects, but I've always been object oriented. For the last 6-7 years I've been writing a novel about haunted houses in a small, isolated haunted community. Objects, especially antiques, play their part in the story. As a child, I collected old things. I bought two pump organs and an old clock. I collected a lot of odd, old things that were my grandmothers, or from the distant past of the family. I have a lot of antiques in our house and I'm very protective of them.

So maybe there's a connection, or a connection for some of us. I should add that I became successful in my work and with my family. I do very well, all things considered. I don't think I was extreme as some, and certainly not as out of control as the main character in Girl Interrupted, a true story. I also have her novel.

How does this affect you?

From my understanding there is very little research that has been done and very little that is being done. Its not something that a researcher or research institution can gain notoriety from. That is not to say there there have been no studies, just very few non focused, its just starting to be looked at. Now there arnt any that tie into personality disorders but there is a study that looks at adult babies and gender identity disorder which one may consider a personality disorder so perhaps its worth a look? Ill post a link here -> http://link.springer.com/article/10....-9783-8#page-1 but if that didn't work because you cant put links just go to Google scholar and search adult baby, searching the term "diaper lover" turns up numerous results, however they are rather unprofessional souses and not from credible research publications. Also i found this link to be exceptionally interesting, it is a case study of an adult baby who wants to be "fixed" and is of the psychologist's findings and postulations. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/...jp.160.11.1932

Hope some of this helped

Totally off subject; I was in Girl Interrupted - fun times.

Thank you for the replies people.

I think this is a topic that I would love to learn more about. I am in DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) for my borderline personality disorder - and I told my therapists and treatment team about my diapers and they accepted it fully and even supported it, insofar that it is not detrimental to my well being. My therapist said my interest probably sparks from not being nurtured enough as a child.

I've read there are strong correlations between BPD and transitional objects. I had a pillow case that I couldn't go without and diapers had always been an interest from as far back as I can remember.

There's a part of DBT called self soothing - which ironically - is what I have used diapers for primarily throughout my life. It makes me feel hugged, nurtured and safe... Borderline is in essence a form of trauma and PTSD, so it would make sense that I use them for comfort or to mimic the kind of support that I lacked in early childhood from my primary caregivers... I am hoping to delve into my trauma someday and learn more about this diaper fascination I have. At this time I am 110% certain it is directly related to my Borderline diagnosis.

I also know that I regress when I am stressed. My urges to throw on a diaper are linked to my stress levels - even on a subconscious level. I start to dream about wearing and wetting diapers when my life is out of control. I think of myself as a little kid and sometimes my voice even changes to a more submissive tone when I am around others. I know this happens more often when I am wearing diapers a lot - so I have to be careful not to indulge too often as I feel it regresses me further.

If anyone wants to know - I have an official diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, Dependent Personality Disorder and definitely Depression and Anxiety.

Hey guys and gals,

An update. I told my therapist about my wearing diapers and wanting and feeling like a little kid. She said it sounds like my trauma issues stem from an early age and that I have associated diapers with that stage in my life... I will keep everyone up to date with what we discover. I asked my therapist if she would be comfortable if I wore diapers to therapy sessions and she said yes, as long as I don't NEED to wear them in order to attend, and as long as I tell her when I wear them. She is curious about it.

I think this all has to do with my borderline diagnosis - and I am VERY interested and excited to delve into the connection. Hopefully we can find out some answers. I know I try to find a mother figure in every female therapist that I see and I quickly become attached - especially to those whom fulfill my needs in some way. One therapist recently talked to me in a very motherly tone and I was immediately attached to her... I know this is all connected.

Good for you having the courage to tell the truth. I'm sure happy things will come from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Layne0033 View Post
    Totally off subject; I was in Girl Interrupted - fun times.
    What part did you play?

I suppose getting attached to your therapist is part of being Borderline. Anyway, I'm glad that she accepted the diapers and that you're making headway.

Thanks for replies.

Yeah I've been borderline for years. I've been in and out of hospital 3 times since January... Just hit rock bottom for sure, so my diaper regression urges are increasing dramatically. I love this part of me but it took years to stop binge and purge cycles and just keep diapers around for when I need them.

I understand you suffer from borderline Dogboy? Did you ever try DBT?

Have you gone to therapy for this? I could use some insight about your experiences and perhaps your opinion on whether your diaper interests also stem from these themes or from trauma. Do you get attached to people easily?