• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitterdafoxy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
15 Years ago this week, the Italian clothing company Benetton launched the first designer diaper for their "Year 2000" collection, 11 years ago, they were discontinued and forgotten. 4 years ago another company sought to revolutionize the diaper community by producing designer diapers that were organic and eco-friendly, they haven't failed yet. The real question here is are these diapers little more than hipster huggies, or are they actually needed for some reason? I don't think they are, they're diapers and aren't necessarily meant to be stylish.

This is an odd question. I mean, clearly, the answer is...

No from a needs standpoint (cloth, anybody?), and...
No from a convenience standpoint (other disposables don't work?), and...
No from a price standpoint (aren't these more expensive?)...

Are you asking whether they're necessary as fetish items? I mean... ok... I could buy that.

...but then, for me, the answer would still be no. :)

Am I missing something?

Honestly, it's hard for me to ponder this question without thinking about all the other products that are on store shelves, not out of necessity, but simply because some percentage of people will buy them. That's not a question of necessity, that's just capitalism. Do we need plastic squeeze-bottles of fruit punch? No. Right?

What is the marketing angle? Are they saying that it's a higher quality product for the baby (e.g. Better for skin or less likely to leak), a better product for the environment because it degrades faster, or do they just have superior designs that make them more pleasing to parents and baby?

I say yes, because a lot of medically fragile wearers, are allergic to practically everything on planet earth!:lol: Also, I only have one working hand, so, you're thinking pull-ups, right? Nope, bowel blunders, so, yeah, really good leak guards! I really need something that protects like a diaper, and comes off like a diaper, but goes on like undies. All the absorbency in the world means nothing, if I can't get them off & on! thick enough for about 2 wettings, and a bowel blunder is fine. Okay, I'm an odd duck; we've established this, right? No crinkle is desired, but would bright, non-medical colors kill them?! Seriously?!

Ok, this hot way more positive votes than I could have ever imagined. The point of this thread was to ask if designer diapers should really be as popular as they are. They are touted as more biodegradable and healthy for babies, but I'm not so sure that they're any different from regular diapers.

kitterdafoxy said:
Ok, this hot way more positive votes than I could have ever imagined. The point of this thread was to ask if designer diapers should really be as popular as they are. They are touted as more biodegradable and healthy for babies, but I'm not so sure that they're any different from regular diapers.

Now that I know what the point of the thread is, I'll put it this way. I've very sensitive skin, and a lot of specific needs, so I'd prefer cloth, just because, hey, make your own, get exactly what you need and want. That being said, in case of traveling, or, "laundry laziness," knowing what a disposable is made of, is worth the price. I'd always choose Abena, because of the lack of carcinogens. As an adult I wish I had more options than just Abena.

Well, from a design perspective, diapers don't really need to be aesthetically beautiful. This is because all children would be wearing some sort of pants or skirts over the diaper, to protect the legs from the cold. Unless the child is at home or something.

Unless someone designs diapers that eliminate the need to wear additional pants or a skirt, eg. by adding built-in pants. That would be something. Of course, it is probably not practical as it is wasteful, therefore expensive too. Also the parent would dislike the lack of variety of their child's pants.

I feel that designer diapers aren't really needed, but premium diapers might still have some clout in an already crowded market.

Unless of course, some Hollywood ladies get into the action and start to wear 'designer diapers', along with ther designer clothes, designer handbags and designer shoes. But everyone knows that isn't going to happen.

I think designer diapers are a fad
other than being for diaper collectors, I don't see the need for designer diapers
regular diapers serve the purpose their intended for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back