Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working retail

Default Working retail

I work in retail as a sales associate. I have been having such crazy management telling me nonsense all week... Anyone else work in retail? Do you have decent managers?

I used to. Division Managers where I worked were OK. Assistant manager of the store hated me for some reason.

Spent six and a half years in retail.. managers really depend on where you go. I worked for Wal-Mart six of those years and I got stuck with some real jerks.. the company is actually worse, in terms of how its ran and who runs it.

The thing with managers, if you want to make your life easy, is to just make them think things were their own idea. Do exactly what they tell you, and then of something is totally stupid, suggest the not stupid way of doing it in a private meeting where you're offering an observation and asking them what they think of it. Then two days later when they come in and tell you what a great idea they've had, you smile and congratulate them.

You can go back and claim the credit on your resume later.

Also, this post is partially in jest, yes, but also partially not. Sonetines getting ahead isn't about one-upping people and demanding credit for what you've done, it's about making things run well. If stuff gets better everywhere you go, people will take notice.

I work in retail. Was recently recognized at the store meeting as one of the top associates for my store for 2014, at which point it's worthwhile to mention I was only even in the store from September on. The award also came with $250 so it's not empty. I recently told them I need to move to a different state and transfer stores, which they're extremely disappointed (if understanding) about. I was being penciled in for a fast track to department head and then assistant store manager.

Quote Originally Posted by boobybird89 View Post
    Spent six and a half years in retail.. managers really depend on where you go. I worked for Wal-Mart six of those years and I got stuck with some real jerks.. the company is actually worse, in terms of how its ran and who runs it.
    It really depends on corporate culture and how the company views its associates. Wal-Mart has a system and wants its associates following it to the letter. Any deviation adds inefficiency which costs the company money. I work for a company that really promotes innovation and initiative so I do well in it. Wal-Mart would not do well for me.

I haven't worked in retail but I have done business with companies with really bad management. Upper management would promote somebody into the management position. The manager would realize inefficiencies / problems and create plans to fix them. Upper management would take notice, feel threatened, and replace them. The bad managers get replaced after employees begin leaving and costs begin to go up. This cycle repeats about every six months or so.

I did 9 years in retail as a mechanic and puppeteer manager in power equipment sales and service. I did not mind so much having to handhold the boss through his job as it is that way in the factory tech. jobs I've held too. Working with customers was the worst! Seriously 9 out of ten were great but that tenth loony unreasonable idiot could wreck a day like you could not Believe. We have just passed the full moon and before my retail years I would not have Believed in it's power but year after year you could count on certain more difficult customers showing up on the three days of the full moon.

When I worked at Toys R Us, the management team was very likable and thus easy to keep on good terms with. It depends on how approachable your managers are, but it's always important to keep peace and make no enemies. Even the nicest managers can be hardasses if you get on their bad side.

I didn't have issues with management until I had problems with carpal tunnel and being made to take on 3 peoples jobs instead of them hiring more people... I'm not even a manager and I am not the only one taking on so much... I just can't stand it when everyone above you accuses you of possibly slacking off or standing around when you and everyone else sees you working hard as well as a record you initial of your daily work.

Quote Originally Posted by ceary View Post
    I work in retail as a sales associate. I have been having such crazy management telling me nonsense all week... Anyone else work in retail? Do you have decent managers?
    24 years in the trenches. Did the convenience stores and department stores. Been a delivery guy for the last 15 years at both independent and chain stores.

My manager now is a total battle axe. But, she's right more often than not, and there isn't a job in the restaurant she can't do. I respect a boss who walks the walk and doesn't loaf around in an office directing traffic.

Actually think that 2 years of customer service should be mandatory, just so we can all say "we've been there" and cut retail and service workers some slack.