Thread: I think I need a professional

Unhappy I think I need a professional

I've asked this question before and time and time AND TIME again I'm given the same answer. "It will come in time." If it isn't this answerth it a much more useless one. I thinking of talking to a therapist or some kind of counselor. I need help! I hate not having some thought on where I'm going. This combined with a fear of losing my only source of financial stablilty, is making me stress out daily. A dead end job I hate. Sad thing is I love my boss. She's great and treats me well. I'm hours are being cut and no forseeable future to speak of. It enough for me to kill off my morals for a decent job. I'm living at home again and truly loathing it. I was thinking of jobs I would like, but some are crazy and out of reach in anyway. Some I don't believe I'm even capable of. I feel like I'm wasting perfectly good time waiting for my chance. I only wish I'm not meant for a fast food joint for the rest of my life. If I was told that I think I'd just give up. There's no life in something so small. Maybe I could win the lottery and follow my dreams afterwords. It's seeming like the way it will happen now. I know some people have read something similar in one of my blogs or post, but I'm losing my mind here. I would give up now, but I'm not built to give up.

If anyone want to know here is some of the ideas I had.

Write a comic, movie, tv show, or book
    Try my hand at acting/voice acting (Insane idea fiy. Plus who want to see an actor with a lazy eye anyways)
    Design weapons for the army. (Even more insane idea)
    Start my own business (Don't have money for this idea)
    Write/design/create a video game (I could maybe write and help draw basic prototypes)

I'm still thinking about other ideas.

I would support the idea of you seeing a professional counselor of some kind. It sounds like you have a lot of worries on your mind and a counselor might be able to help you out in a way that none of here can.

If I can offer a thought, though, a lot of your ideas are creative ones, and they can be done without giving up a more regular job. For example, let's say you want to design a video game. You can pick up a beginning game design program and maybe a guidebook or textbook about it. Work through a chapter each weekend and fiddle with the tools during evenings. You'll still make money day to day that way and maybe some day you'll make something really cool that sells well and you won't need the job. But don't think that just cuz you're working to earn a living each day that you can't do anything else. Okay?

Writing, acting, engineering, programming are all worthwhile professions. You have to have certain knowledge and skills to be good enough at any of them before someone will trade money for your time and effort.

These days, you can learn a lot about all those things on your own without a formal classroom, but you still have to put in the time and effort. The classroom path has the advantage of a certificate and the end, and someone else has gone to the trouble of creating a curriculum that gets you the skills you need. It can be a little more trial and error if you do it on your own.

To run your own business, you need some generalized business skills in addition to knowledge about the product or service you're trying to sell. Accounting, Marketing, finance, people management....

You have to have a plan to get where you want to be, then work that plan. You can't just decide "tomorrow I'm going to be a game designer" any more than you can say "tomorrow I'm going to run a marathon". A professional career counselor may be able to help you with the plan.
    Your state employment security office may have that sort of help available.

[removed] I do want to send my empathy, I am almost 38, I lost my career at 35 from a workplace injury, I have brain damage, and I have no idea what to do next, I am going to attempt a slow return to college and try to educate myself and find a career I would enjoy. Writing isn't a bad idea, try stuff out, if you fail, try again, learn from the failures, and don't give up hope. Good luck.

the one good thing about schools or college is you can be around other people and get inspiration as to what your next move might be, of course schools tend to cost a lot of money, I hope you find help, you can do it.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 06-Apr-2015 at 03:32.

See a counselor, get a life coach. Start DOing something that you LOVE!

Let your passions be your guide, and stop using the excuses as reasons for not trying. Bottom line - all of the things your list contains can be done WHILE you're working. Your list of excuses is (pardon my bluntness - but we are in the mature section): B.S.

Start a business? Start selling something fun on eBay that covers the basics - ie raw materials + your labor / expertise / art / creativity = sell for more than you invested.
    Designing Weapons.. Please don't — we have enough...
    Voice Acting? Start a podcast.
    Write a [insert medium here]? Do it. You obviously have a computer.

All of these ideas have one thing in common - they cost NOTHING. Ideas are cheap... implementation is everything. Try doing them, it's OK to FAIL! Fail early, fail often, and then TRY AGAIN!

Also - Life is short - so whatever you do - LOVE WHAT YOU DO!

/End my late night rant

Nurturing Parent taking over now — hang in there. I have these doubts and insecurities all the time in my life. I've learned to accept them as a part of the growing process. I have a realized that instead of seeing the "end" as the destination, I need to enjoy the moment, which contains everything; the end result is not up to me, and will be something that I can't even imagine today! So, just hang in there, knowing that you are not alone in your journey. We have been with you, and will be with you for your entire journey. Be well my friend.

You can work a fast food job while working toward a bigger goal you know, a lot of writers, actors and artists do that just to pay the bills.

I wok full time at Hardee's and write novels in my free time and my first book is coming out here soon but I still need the day job for now. Theres no shame in that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    I've asked this question before and time and time AND TIME again I'm given the same answer. "It will come in time." If it isn't this answerth it a much more useless one. I thinking of talking to a therapist or some kind of counselor. I need help! I hate not having some thought on where I'm going. This combined with a fear of losing my only source of financial stablilty, is making me stress out daily. A dead end job I hate. Sad thing is I love my boss. She's great and treats me well. I'm hours are being cut and no forseeable future to speak of. It enough for me to kill off my morals for a decent job. I'm living at home again and truly loathing it. I was thinking of jobs I would like, but some are crazy and out of reach in anyway. Some I don't believe I'm even capable of. I feel like I'm wasting perfectly good time waiting for my chance. I only wish I'm not meant for a fast food joint for the rest of my life. If I was told that I think I'd just give up. There's no life in something so small. Maybe I could win the lottery and follow my dreams afterwords. It's seeming like the way it will happen now. I know some people have read something similar in one of my blogs or post, but I'm losing my mind here. I would give up now, but I'm not built to give up.

If anyone want to know here is some of the ideas I had.

Write a comic, movie, tv show, or book
    Try my hand at acting/voice acting (Insane idea fiy. Plus who want to see an actor with a lazy eye anyways)
    Design weapons for the army. (Even more insane idea)
    Start my own business (Don't have money for this idea)
    Write/design/create a video game (I could maybe write and help draw basic prototypes)

I'm still thinking about other ideas.
    Believe me, I've there and am even There right now. I really want to write my own comic, movie, tv show, or book. And I really want to do YouTube cartoons, and skits. I even have ideas for video games, and I can so relate massively to that. Although, our stressors are different we both have the same goals, and also I will prey for you if that helps.

Along with counselling I suggest doing some professional skills assessments to give you an idea of where to focus your efforts. From there you can look at career summaries beyond what the skills assessment will tell you. There should be many tools out there that can clue you into jobs and careers you never knew existed. Bureau of Labor Statistics (or like agency) can be another good resource.

Blue collar jobs are always hiring and often willing to train and pay for school, depending on their product it can be easy to work up to a less physically demanding position or into engineering and management. I only suggest this because many folks are retiring from these places right now. The only two real requirements are a willingness to work and learn (true of anywhere though).

But seriously at least do a skills test and browse careers related to those results while digging deep. That can turn your ideas into plans which look achievable one step at a time.

Right now I'm making a short list of job I think I could live with doing, or would enjoy. Currently it down to 14 I'm going to give it to someone who knows me well and see if they can cut it down anymore. I'm still looking into find a counselor but I'm having no luck as of late.