Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Default Windows 10

Will it be any good? I haven't heard much about it.

I tried it out on my laptop a few months back (don't really use my laptop much, it's pretty old and slow, so I use it to test things out like this) and Microsoft seem to have taken a lot of the negative feedback Windows 8 had onboard.
    Most of the noticable changes are of course the UI; no more forced use of the metro UI start screen, though it's still present on the start menu (I'll talk about that in a sec), still has 8's slight general speed/performance compared to 7, settings menus/screens no longer taking the whole screen and can be windowed etc.

The start menu's had a bit of a re-do, which I'm not overly keen on, but it's a heck of a lot better than how 8 did it. If you picture the menu in 7, you have programs on the left 'column' and your settings/folder shortcuts etc on the right. The settings/folder shortcuts are now on the top-left, along with some pinned programs below them, while you can now also pin some to the new tiled metro area on the right-hand side.
    (See these images for a comparison: Windows 7 & Windows 10.)
    I'd still prefer to scrap the metro area personally (or at least have a toggle for it, though this might have happened, as I said it's been a while...) and have the classic menu still but, it's much MUCH more workable than 8.

Overall, if MS keep on listening to the feedback they've had on 8, and are getting through 10's feedback app, I'm kind of optimistic for 10. I dunno if it'll quite be XP/7 level but, it's somewhat promising so far. The free upgrade from 7/8 if you do so within the first year of 10's release is a plus too, though I'd be cautious and maybe wait till the end of that period to see if any major downsides come up.

I honestly still like the original windows 7. Win8 was a disappointment for me and I can't wait to see if Win10 succeeds or fails...Shart tank, here we come.

I like windows 7 much better then xp (blue screen of death) and windows 8 I don't mined it on my laptop it an older laptop witch I use up camping to watch movie at night. but I'm waiting on window 10 to see how it will be on my desktop computer.

BordercollieTrigger

I am waiting for free update now that returned the start menu with list of programs im not giving up on windows. I must have taskbar and start menu with list of programs to use windows. Hence why i refuse windows 8.

I personally LOVE the windows X preview. The performance gains of windows 8 with windows 7 like start menu is great. I will probably move most of my computers to windows 10. After playing with windows 10, IMO windows 10 is what windows 8 should have been.

I was afraid of windows 8, but i decided to go for it. I expected to hate the metro start menu from all the horror stories I heard about it... But i actually really like it. You can pin a whole ton more useful shortcuts to it than you could in old start menus. I always hated running out of spots for that. It's kinda annoying how so many things are forced full screen though. So... Windows 10 looks like it might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    I was afraid of windows 8, but i decided to go for it. I expected to hate the metro start menu from all the horror stories I heard about it... But i actually really like it. You can pin a whole ton more useful shortcuts to it than you could in old start menus. I always hated running out of spots for that. It's kinda annoying how so many things are forced full screen though. So... Windows 10 looks like it might be good.
    I agree, Personally windows 8, isn't that bad of a system, although I'm glad that they made a compromise between the start bar and the start screen.

BordercollieTrigger

Quote Originally Posted by KittyninjaW View Post
    I agree, Personally windows 8, isn't that bad of a system, although I'm glad that they made a compromise between the start bar and the start screen.
    Yes so true ditching start menu and that meant i never had given in for them. They drove me to point of possibly giving up on windows. This is solely because i used to like windows 95 systems as kid so I believe start menu with list of programs and taskbar are essential. I am not going give up on these principles. Luckily my almost 3 year old laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium is still honing along thanks to 8gb of ram update. I kind of don't want windows 10 update but either way i have no choice but buy windows 10 laptop sooner or later. So I better get used to windows 10. Sucks some change you must take in life.