View Poll Results: What decade had the most gender divided toys?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • The early 1900's

1 6.67%
  • The 1910's

0 0%
  • The 1920's

1 6.67%
  • The 1930's

0 0%
  • The 1940's

1 6.67%
  • The 1950's

6 40.00%
  • The 1960's

1 6.67%
  • The 1970's

1 6.67%
  • The 1980's

1 6.67%
  • The 1990's

3 20.00%
  • The 2000's

0 0%

Thread: Poll: What decade had the most gender divided toys?

Lightbulb Poll: What decade had the most gender divided toys?

I was inspired toy make this poll after looking at some 90's toy lists on cracked.com (awsome site btw). After looking at the list I was very surprised, a lot of 90's toys were pretty obvious what gender they were being marketed to, even more so than some 1960's era toys (30 year difference mind you). It seems to have span from the early 90's to the early 2000's before toys became more neutral or just plain controversial (Bratz anyone?). Nowadays you can buy gender natural toys and traditionally girly or boyish toys have started to become more natural or make a version for the opposite gender.

My opinion: the 1990's

I suspect the 1950s, actually. Selection was more limited and the US manufacturers were very standardized.

I think you'll find that people vote for the decade they grew up in. I was a 70's child and remember quite well the Barbie's (always present) and the guy toys, such as Hot Wheels (still always around). I worked in toys during the 80's and My Little Pony (if I knew then...) and Strawberry Shortcake were popular for girls and things like He Man, Stretch Armstrong and GI Joe figurines were very popular. Not to mention those damn Cabbage Patch kids. PIA to sell those!

But next to the cash register was something call Atari and SEGA systems and that changed the toy selection the most back then.

I think there have always been boy toys, girl toys, and neutral toys. I can't say that I see a huge difference from my era, my kids, or my grandkids. Clearly the technology has changed things to a great degree, but girls still like dolls, boys like trucks and guns, both like lego, bikes, books, and scooters. If there's any difference at all, it might be that girls are more into sports equipment the last couple decades than they used to be.

I suspect Maxx is right which means we haven't come along ways, baby. I was a little kid in the 50's so I clicked 50's, but there probably were more different kinds of toys to choose in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I think there have always been boy toys, girl toys, and neutral toys. I can't say that I see a huge difference from my era, my kids, or my grandkids. Clearly the technology has changed things to a great degree, but girls still like dolls, boys like trucks and guns, both like lego, bikes, books, and scooters. If there's any difference at all, it might be that girls are more into sports equipment the last couple decades than they used to be.
    The really hard thing to figure out is whether this is because parents and society broadly associate dolls with girls and trucks with boys almost instantly from the moment they're born, or if there's some physical difference between the two sets of developing brains such that more boys would lean towards trucks and more girls towards dolls even in the absence of any cultural indoctrination.

i don't think that it can confined to any particular decade, i think it's more an era thing.
    this era, the post WW2 era, with it's following Cold War, has seen some of the most sustained militarism within western and eastern society; and of course, 'boys go to war, girls make homes and babies' and toys and education/propaganda have enforced such ideas.

i grew up in 70s Britain and we were still living and playing off WW2, right into the 80s. and although there wasn't as many toys available in the shops, we'd make our own in emulation of the things we'd seen in books and on television. a broken branch readily becomes a sten-gun.
    and the new-fangled plastic meant that we didn't have to make our own catapults [you'll be surprised how hard it is to find good enough wood and rubber to make a decent catapult]. plastic catapults were one of my favourites, and the bane of the telephone engineers who had to repair the telephony wires.

going back further, despite much militarism within certain nations, the gender roles, in play and playthings, weren't as strict nor wholescale as they are today. the exception to that relates to the eldest child, who would be the first to take on the 'manly' or 'womanly' role, but it seems to have happened at a much later age than it does today.

to be honest, when i look around at toys today, i'm sickened by the progandist nature of them. not just in how they pander to, and pigeon-hole, gender roles, but also because of, in their number and variety, they tell children not to think and that everything will be provided for them, so long as they can pay [aka, get with the program].
    alas, and certainly in Britain with the demise of wood in everyday life, children don't have a choice.

btw, i got my first knife at 7, given to me by my dad. i had to borrow or steal before that.

Quote Originally Posted by kitterdafoxy
    What decade had the most gender divided toys?
    Had? I don't know. To be honest, I haven't witnessed any real trend away from gender-specific toys at any point during my four decades of life. Toys seem as divided now as they ever have been. Sure, you've got the odd "educational" toy, but... When I go to a toy store like Toys 'R' Us, I pretty much see shelves dedicated to boy stuff, and different shelves dedicated to girl stuff.

Interesting poll. I do believe that for many many years toys have been marketed to one gender or another. It tool me awhile to convince my 61 year old mom that Legos where for girls and boys. She even has 2 sons and a daughter (my older brother and twin sister). It came up since my older brother is having a son so my mom was really excited she could get him Legos (since he was a boy) when he was old enough. So I think that mentality has been there a very long time.