Thread: Browser crashes

Default Browser crashes

I've had several atypical browser crashes today on both my desktops...

1. Upstairs, Chrome on Windows Vista

2. Downstairs, Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04

My ISP is AT&T DSL. They're often flaky, but today it was the browsers themselves that were crashing, rather than getting "no service" messages. My android tablet has been charging, so I haven't tried that yet.

Any thoughts?

Probably coincidence. It's possible some site you frequently visit introduced something that neither browser likes, but while both browsers certainly arn't hard to crash, it's unlikely they would crash for the same reason.

It's even less likely that your ISP has anything to do with it, unless they are injecting something unwholesome, but that's fairly unlikely to be the issue (evil as they are, large ISPs would probably at least test any malware against popular browsers before delivering it to their customers).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Probably coincidence. It's possible some site you frequently visit introduced something that neither browser likes, but while both browsers certainly arn't hard to crash, it's unlikely they would crash for the same reason.

It's even less likely that your ISP has anything to do with it, unless they are injecting something unwholesome, but that's fairly unlikely to be the issue (evil as they are, large ISPs would probably at least test any malware against popular browsers before delivering it to their customers).
    Those were my thoughts as well, although I can't remember Firefox on the Ubuntu machine ever crashing like that. Firefox did have an update this week, I suppose its possible something in the new rev was unstable.

I posted to see if anyone knew of something else going on.

BordercollieTrigger

My google chrome is so laggy on my old laptop all the time lately odd. Been for 4 years using chrome never a issue now must load each tab by tab or get no network error. Guess laptop is getting old because on new smartphone its lightning fast on full desktop websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I've had several atypical browser crashes today on both my desktops...

1. Upstairs, Chrome on Windows Vista

2. Downstairs, Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04

My ISP is AT&T DSL. They're often flaky, but today it was the browsers themselves that were crashing, rather than getting "no service" messages. My android tablet has been charging, so I haven't tried that yet.

Any thoughts?

Well, this morning I was going to post my experience with some bug-a-boos lately that I've been having... Near as I can tell, some plugins that I downloaded... may have been corrupt... or maybe just dumb-luck timing, that correlation may have no causation in this case {I haven't figured it out}.

For around two-weeks now... I believed to have some PUP Potentially Unwanted Programs (I most certainly did not want them!)...

Anywho... for like the 5th or 6th time since this started the last week or two, I've spent several hours again today trying to plug the holes.. and get the bilge-pumps working... I was even getting overlayed message boxes appearing while I was on ADISC last-night... and I don't recall if I had it on a Google search page too then... I just closed everything down with killing processes... and put it away for the night...

Seems like I had 3 msi-installers spawn of their own accord, and again... I didn't attempt to close them by their given windows... cut-em off at the processes...

One of the most consistent and persistent programs that kept haunting me... "PC-Optimizer-Pro"...

I generally keep scripts and such on a pretty short leash, and I am careful to see if I'm offered a toolbar or some such BS to avoid like the plague they are... bundled with my intended download/install... it could just be, that I was got because I could be... it may have had nothing to do with my activities and precautions... I have to say though... this particular batch has been a bastard and a half to remedy... and frankly, I think it's too soon for me to declare any sort of victory... My PC is faster now... and so-far ... no funny business has showed it's ugly head...

One of the things that happened recently... and why I've attached to this thread... something closed out my browser, impromptu and shut down my machine... (no indications that I forgot to snooze a MS update that demanded a restart) when I had heard of other users (off-site) having this issue, I assumed it was the shutdown-restart loop often caused with a failed windows update... Now me thinks, our computers may have developed a bit of kennel-cough... so be aware!

The various scanners that I employed, did eventually detect a trojan... not merely the seemingly innocuous though annoying PUPS alone...

Also, with the news about those villains who can encrypt your entire HDD, and hold it ransom... I've decided to disable the encryption services... hopefully that's a prudent move on my part... I guess that I should learn to play chess...

I cannot advise to those uninitiated, to futz with your services, or registry... or anything else you don't understand about your PC... in defiance, I tend to have more moxy on my rigs... and I'll run a bit willy-nilly... ya-know, back up stuff... period!

Go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ and see if you find something useful to you there... I started with rKill
    I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (they've had at least 3-definitions updates since yesterday afternoon), and AdwCleaner v4.200 by Xplode (only trust it from bleepingcomputer.com as there is an imposter out there. Home site may be different, but start there.), CCleaner slim, or portable...

The bugs are set in registry, services, processes, scheduled tasks, startup... and who knows where else!? this one gots some deep roots... There was even a "content manager service" that appeared at first... a proper process... it wasn't...

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\
    C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\
    C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\
    C:\windows\system32\
    C:\END
    C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\
    C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\********.default\user.js

...are just a few places this gets embedded...

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

Task Deleted : Driver Pro Schedule
    Task Deleted : FSSUpdaterService
    Task Deleted : LaunchSignup
    Task Deleted : Optimizer Pro Schedule
    Task Deleted : PC SpeedUp Service Deactivator
    Task Deleted : SmartWeb Upgrade Trigger Task

...some of the scheduled tasks...

ALL OF YOUR BROWSERS per system, WILL LIKELY BE INFECTED

IE, which I don't use, and wouldn't at gun-point, still has to be there for some asinine Windows reasons... (Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17689)
    Mozilla Firefox v36.0.4 (x86 en-US)

My OS
    Program started at: 04/04/2015 10:06:41 AM in x64 mode.
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Maybe this helps you...

Perhaps the better informed will chime in... I've found some blurbs regarding these issues lately, but I don't seem to find the tried and trued... do this, then this, then this, and reboot... you should be all better now

May the force be with you!
    Many regards,
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 05-Apr-2015 at 06:19.

I had that happen a couple of week ago I had to update my virus scanner. and do a fresh scan on your computer I pick up a couple of Trojan.

After a couple of updates to both Ubuntu and Firefox, the issue seems to have resolved itself. Chrome on Vista has been behaving as well.