Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My dresser..is a changing table?!

Default My dresser..is a changing table?!

So..I was talking to a friend about changing tables and such and he asked to see my dresser which I have had, ever since I was a kid, it was handed down to me from my dad who had it since he was a kid..then he freaks out. "Dude! You have no idea what that is! It was originally made to double as a changing table back around the era of WW2. (its one of those long, antique dressers made of oak, really heavy and sturdy) Think about it, 9 drawers, 3 of which was for the baby's diapers, disposable changing mats, and other necessities, and it was made to have ample space for the baby to rest comfortably for changing." My jaw dropped, I had no idea! This whole friggin time, I had a changing table right under my nose and I never knew it! I was excited, but worried I might be too heavy for it you know? It was pretty old.. So I ran upstairs and cleared my stuff off the top of it (all this time I just thought it was a old, long dresser lol) and sat on it, it held my weight fine, not even any groaning wood protesting..or anything..And I did try it out, this photo was right before I cleared off the top and i did quickly change myself on it. So it works! lol I am going to get a adult sized changing mat, and one of my comforters..This is gonna be awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6571.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	23738  

Awesome! They don't make them like they used to, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Awesome! They don't make them like they used to, do they?
    No they sure dont now it would be plastic!..I may be wrong..my friend may be pulling my leg..but..it did support my weight easily enough and it was big enough for me to change myself.

It looks pretty sturdy and the fact that you said it didn't creak makes me think it's still OK after all these years. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to check it for cracks from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    It looks pretty sturdy and the fact that you said it didn't creak makes me think it's still OK after all these years. Just to be on the safe side, you might want to check it for cracks from time to time.
    well..true it was meant for babies not adult sized ones..but it seems very sturdy! I will tho

I just use a spare bed covered with some random foam scraps and an old sheet. It's lucky that you have this, I see these quite often up here as my town had many homes added when ww2 vets came back and started familys, then years later they got rid of their giant wooden dresser-changing table combos. I wouldn't buy one since I'm not so keen about resting my back on a slab of wood, I have a very bad back and the last thing I want to do is get stuck in that position when back my gives out.

That was made back around WWII? It must have cost a fortune. Looks good.

I never really understood the use of a changing table if you're changing yourself, just seems like it'd complicate things, neat though. But I'll stick to my changing mat, thanks...

That's awesome. They sure built things to last back then..

That's a nice piece of furniture that looks in real good shape for being around 70 years old.

I think I've had to help move a dresser that looked like that a few years ago. If they're the same, then yep. They were built to last...very heavy...