Anyone used thumbsucking to stop smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilSamsara

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Hi all! Not sure if this belongs in the off topic forum so feel free to move it if necessary. Has anyone used thumbsucking to quit smoking. I already use my thumb & binkie all the time but thought of giving it a try. I know there's the idea of replacing one addiction with another but it's a lot healthier than smoking & I already do it. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this. There's also the issue of being able to smoke in public but not sucking your thumb so I imagine that could present some roadblocks...

All I can suggest is give it a try. I'm certain you can kick that yucky habit...I know I did ... I can't even believe that I ever did it really but I did. It wasn't that easy but with perseverance it will happen. S for the thumb sucking, I don't see why a replacement activity like that wouldn't help....it's certainly relaxing enough, just not as socially acceptable now there's something totally ridiculous. Good luck, I know you can do it.

I can't see why it wouldn't. I started smoking socially and got addicted to the activity of doing it. I switched to an ecig with no nic, and just having something to do with my hands was enough for me, and I'm sure keeping your hands occupied will help immensely (you know what the say about idle hands)
My buddy kicked it by learning the piano. It's just about finding something that works for you and sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
I used to do both. It was much harder to quit sucking my thumb. It brought tears and sadness. I still have scars on my right thumb from where my teeth rubbed all the time. I still miss it, and give in once in a while, but I'm afraid I'll forget myself and do it at work or out in public. Imagine if all these harmless ways of comforting oneself were socially acceptable? What if no one gave any of it a second thought? Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place?

There is a book called "Manwatching" by Desmond Morris where he says that smoking is pretty much a replacement for the teat. I do smoke a little bit but I know that if it was socially acceptable to walk around with a dummy in my mouth then I would probably never smoke again.

BabyDash said:
Hi all! Not sure if this belongs in the off topic forum so feel free to move it if necessary. Has anyone used thumbsucking to quit smoking. I already use my thumb & binkie all the time but thought of giving it a try. I know there's the idea of replacing one addiction with another but it's a lot healthier than smoking & I already do it. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this. There's also the issue of being able to smoke in public but not sucking your thumb so I imagine that could present some roadblocks...

well i dont smoke but for some edvice about public thumb sucking is you can have some sort of way to hide your face or just go to a place that is alone or where there are no people or you can put the top of your thumb in your mouth and have a book in front of you to make it look like your thinking

remember wit the last one the book needs to be something that people would think about people probably wont believe you if you are read some childrens book or something to easy to understand it needs to be deep enough to think about

Or you can place your copy of "The Velveteen Rabbit" inside "War and Peace" but it might be kind of difficult to do with one hand lol.

Hi. I sucked my thumb since I was a kid and at 28 it was time to try to break the habit. I bought a binkie and started to use it. It took a few months to get on to it but now it's a great job. The problem thumb sucking had for me was I alway biting into it and with the skin drying out it would crack and bleed (not very comfortable) and then there was the waking up the morning after snd my mouth tasting like a toilet. Hope this is of some help. I had a few beers tonight so I'll probably look at this tomorow and realize it doesn't make any sense lol

When I took up the bottle, I went a good six months without drinking, so I don't see why not. To this day, the bottle has kept me from drinking from stress-relief; I only drink socially now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back