Why Haven't I Gotten Used to Using My Pacifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePaddedGamer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have had my paci for a few months now with occasional use and for some reason it never feels right in my mouth. It might be because it is too big since in the past most of my pacis were very small. Also, I don't really know how to suck on it correctly. I have it in my mouth and find the way I'm sucking it to be awkward. I am thinking that buying it was a mistake and I should have saved more money for a NUK medic pro or something.

ThePaddedGamer said:
I have had my paci for a few months now with occasional use and for some reason it never feels right in my mouth. It might be because it is too big since in the past most of my pacis were very small. Also, I don't really know how to suck on it correctly. I have it in my mouth and find the way I'm sucking it to be awkward. I am thinking that buying it was a mistake and I should have saved more money for a NUK medic pro or something.

What size & style is it? If it's something you bought from a local store, that's made for an actual infant / toddler; the problem might be that it's just the wrong size, & doesn't properly fit in your mouth.

I would recommend getting a larger one made for an adult. I've got a nuk 7 from Pacifiers R Us. I really like it. It's not an official Nuk, since they only go to size 5. But the nipple is in the same style & it uses a Nuk guard.

As a life-long thumbsucker, I need something larger like my thumb, to get the proper amount of suction.

Ive got a Nuk 6 with a nuk guard. I just don't like how big it is for some reason. I feel like it fills my mouth too much even though it is a reasonably sized nipple.
Idk. Maybe I'm weird when it comes to pacis.

Last edited:
ThePaddedGamer said:
Ive got a Nuk 6 with a nuk guard. I just don't like how big it is for some reason. I feel like it feels my mouth too much even though it is an adult sized nipple.
Idk. Maybe I'm weird when it comes to pacis.

Hmm, maybe your just not the paci kind. I've tried them before, but I just didn't want it in my mouth for long periods of time and would fall out when I slept.

You can try it out for a few nights, see if it gets any better. The first night I sucked a paci I was of two minds. It both calmed me down yet felt too big in my mouth. After a few nights of using it it just became whatever to me.

If its still too big for you, try out something smaller. Just keep testing what you like until you feel comfortable.

Mmm...yeah, you might just not be a paci user. For some, it makes them feel like they're gagging. Might try putting it in & slowly breathing through your nose, if you think gagging might be the problem.

Some don't ever get used to having a paci in. Not all infants / toddlers use them either. If you're really wanting to use one, I hope you'll become used to it.

Might just be the size.

I have a lot of pacifiers. Several medic-pros... some "nuk 5 silicone" pacifiers from pacifiersrus... a baby pants silicone pacifier... and a couple awwsocute silicone pacifiers.

Size wise... the medic pro is pretty good as well as the pacifersrus nuk 5 silicones (though they're not the same shape as a regular medic-pro). The baby pants pacifier is pretty big, but it also doesn't collapse at all. At least mine doesn't. That gets uncomfortable quick. The awwsocutes are a tiny bit on the small side for me.

That being said, I took to the medic-pros within a couple days. I'd use them every night if it weren't for the fact that I need to sleep with a night guard.

You might just want to sample a few. It sucks, because they're not cheap. The awwsocute pacifiers are pretty reasonably priced though and smaller than what you're currently using, so that might be a good test.

Yeah I guess I'll try some smaller ones. I know I definitely had one when I was a baby. It mattered so much to me that I remember crying for a week when my parents took it away. I might just need to use it more and try different sucking methods.

Just a personal preference I think. I use a toddler size cherry shaped paci and I love it, but I also suck my thumb. Both completely different sizes and experiences really but rah enjoyable. I have tried a Nuk 5 and did enjoy it but found it too much for a long period. I think I like playing with my paci in my mouth. You can't really suck an infant paci as such...perhaps that's why I like my thumb as well.

Without cuestioning... I've lot of pacis, but really prefered only two of them. Are my infantiles "resized" for my adult mouth. I think everyone has his "prefered" model.

ThePaddedGamer said:
I don't really know how to suck on it correctly. I have it in my mouth and find the way I'm sucking it to be awkward.

I've got a NUK 5. The problem with the NUK 5 for me is that it's not long enough to rest in the indentation in the roof of my mouth, so it feels awkward.

As far as sucking on it correctly, I have two ways, what I'll call active sucking and reflex sucking.

If I'm actively sucking my pacifier, I go at it like I'm sucking on a bottle. This is conscious sucking and more needy. This gets tiring and uncomfortable after a while but understandable because it's fairly aggressive.

My favorite way is to use my suckling reflex. I just let the pacifier sit in my mouth until the suckling reflex kicks in. The suckling reflex gently pulls the pacifier in, and releases it rhythmically. This is completely subconscious and the most relaxing.

tickles51 said:
My favorite way is to use my suckling reflex. I just let the pacifier sit in my mouth until the suckling reflex kicks in. The suckling reflex gently pulls the pacifier in, and releases it rhythmically. This is completely subconscious and the most relaxing.

Same like myself. The problem is NUK5 doesn't work in this way for me.

ive never had a problem sucking on pacifiers and i bite them alot. It took time to get it to stay in mouth while sleeping but i just would fall asleep with it in my mouth and if i wake up its not there i panic (like a baby/toddler would do) to find it lol once i find it im like ok better. some days i wake up with it in my mouth and that is very stasifying. I personally use 18-36months latex pacifiers during day and when driving or chilling at home. Basically anytime im alone i have one in my mouth. At night time i use a NUK5 as it stays in my mouth while sleeping and the toddler ones dont but using a nuk5 all day would wear it out i go through them quite a bit and having one for car one for home and one for sleep helps me have them for a longer time before getting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back