Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a problem?

Default Do I have a problem?

Last Friday night/early Saturday morning marks the second time in a year that I've gotten into a fight. First off, I'm legally blind and not a person that usually does this sort of thing. I have a driver that takes me places but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and it really works on my anxiety so I already wasn't it the best mood. I was working (professional musician) and I had been drinking that night (8 beers, 3 mixed drinks, 3 shots.) When I returned home, my driver was talking a bit too loud and my Dad came downstairs and told us (him really) to please try and keep it down as my mom had to work early the next day. Usually I would say ok and be done with it but for some stupid reason I got violently angry, fired my driver and I attacked my Dad and we went at it. My elbow hasn't been right since and things have been a bit awkward but the worst part is... I DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF IT! AT ALL! NONE! Why is that? I'm so confused. Total blackout drunk? I feel so ashamed. Do I have a drinking problem?

Only two times in a year I would not personally call a drinking problem. What I would work on is how you act when drunk. One person I work with has a drinking problem, he drinks every weekend and is ALWAYS getting into fights, gets arrested for disorderly conduct and such. This guy has a problem. You sound like you could work on some stuff before it becomes a problem.

I wouldn't call that a drinking problem, but I would say that you drank too much that night. 14 shots worth of alcohol is enough to knock out most people and its going to easily cause you to mess yourself up pretty badly.

Imo, you should exercise control over how much you drink and try to never go above ~5 on a given night. If you can't do that, you might have a drinking problem.

There's definitely a problem if this is the second time in a year you've gotten into a fight. I don't now what caused the first one or if it was also related to alcohol. I also don't know how often you drink on a regular basis, however you've identified issues with anxiety and impatience with your friend. I worry that you're under heavy stress and possibly dealing with anger management issues. When all of these factors are combined it can be toxic. The fact that you had a blackout and can't remember any of it should serve as a wakeup call. Was the alcohol the only reason the fight happened or was it related to the stress and anxiety? I would strongly urge you to see a doctor to discuss your current behaviour and state of mind. This is not a healthy way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I wouldn't call that a drinking problem, but I would say that you drank too much that night. 14 shots worth of alcohol is enough to knock out most people and its going to easily cause you to mess yourself up pretty badly.

Imo, you should exercise control over how much you drink and try to never go above ~5 on a given night. If you can't do that, you might have a drinking problem.
    Yeah, I'm going to try and take it easy. What worries me the most is having no memory of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    There's definitely a problem if this is the second time in a year you've gotten into a fight. I don't now what caused the first one or if it was also related to alcohol. I also don't know how often you drink on a regular basis, however you've identified issues with anxiety and impatience with your friend. I worry that you're under heavy stress and possibly dealing with anger management issues. When all of these factors are combined it can be toxic. The fact that you had a blackout and can't remember any of it should serve as a wakeup call. Was the alcohol the only reason the fight happened or was it related to the stress and anxiety? I would strongly urge you to see a doctor to discuss your current behaviour and state of mind. This is not a healthy way to live.
    It was a combination of anger, anxiety, stress and alcohol I think. My friend is a bit "slow" and his driving really makes me nervous but I didn't want to tell him because I didn't want to hurt his feelings and I need a ride.

Nessus

In my opinion alcohol is best kept to an absolute minimum for these very reasons, so moderation in the future is your best bet. The answer to your headline will be found there; if you can drink in moderation and never drink too much and you do not do this too frequently then you are not likely to have a problem.

On the other hand if you cannot control it and it is impacting your life in a negative way, then that meets the definition of a problem in most circles.

So hopefully you can accomplish this and prove to yourself that you do not have a problem by maintaining rational control of your drinking and if you fail then you know where you stand and you most likely will need to bite the bullet and get help - by definition from a state of failure.

I hope this helps you figure out where you stand, and I hope you can smooth over any ruffled feathers you may have raised!

What does your family, or specifically in this case, your father think? If it were me, just based on what you've said, I'd be making my apologies and moderating my intake in the future. What's the fun of drinking if you can't remember it?

I do not drink and cannot understand why anyone would want to - and no, not for religious reasons (I am not religious either). I have had to take Tylenol with codeine and high dose nicotine patches for kidney stones and colitis bleeding respectively, and cannot stand what they do to my head.

All of the above is good advise. Some people when drunk, are very friendly, or cry, or just pass out. Some however, become belligerent, so if that's what it does to you, then you now know that and that should have reason enough to not get that drunk. I used to drink heavily at night until 1985 when all that drinking gave me a bleeding ulcer that almost killed me. In the parking lot of the medical facility that my wife had driven me, I not only passed out, but went through the tunnel of light and saw my deceased parents standing there. There was a rushing sound and I was back in the wheel chair that I had been in.

Now, I never have more than one drink during a 24 hour period. Usually I never have a drink. I had to make that life saving decision for myself. You might want to make a similar decision, cutting back so that at the least, you are in control of your emotions. Even drunk, there are some things you can't take back.