Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of stuffed animals

Default Getting rid of stuffed animals

I'm moving into a significantly smaller space soon, and I don't have much choice but trim down on my stuffed animal collection. I can't think of where I'd put them, and I certainly don't want to pay for external storage.

The trouble is, how do you get rid of a plushie? I'm not so opposed to getting rid of them, per se, but I care a lot about what happens to them. They're pretty well-used, so couldn't really be given to anyone. I could drop them off at Goodwill, but Goodwill would probably just get rid of them--and I'd never really be sure what happened to them, which I don't think I could stand; whatever I do, I want some closure. Any suggested methods or tips?

I had to get rid of plushies a couple of months ago to mitigate an infestation of "Bedbugs".
    Felt bad for a while afterwards for a bit.

Give them to a homeless shelter for women and children. In our community is a place where women go when they're in an abusive relationship and need a safe place to stay. They will bring their children and all they have is usually the clothes on their back.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Give them to a homeless shelter for women and children. In our community is a place where women go when they're in an abusive relationship and need a safe place to stay. They will bring their children and all they have is usually the clothes on their back.
    Would they accept damaged stuffed animals, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklebottom View Post
    I don't know for sure but most of these shelters are hurting for money. I can't believe they would turn away any plushie as long as it wasn't too bad.

Bottom line though: just ask the shelter. The worst that will happen is they will so no.

Many of them are pretty ragged...some have a few stains. Not exactly something you'd want to give to someone else. I guess I could try calling around shelters, though I don't really know any.

Depends I'd say. Some do, some do not. As long as it's nothing serious, which is easily fixable with some stitches, getting rid of stains or adding small things as a patch - then you can surely do it. Otherwise refrain from it.

Anyway, I support what zipperless said. It's a nice idea, gives your plushies a new home and makes someone else happy having them.

Many of them are pretty ragged...some have a few stains. Not exactly something you'd want to give to someone else. I guess I could try calling around shelters, though I don't really know any.
    Remember that regardless of the condition, a little plushie might calm down a scared child. Like Baby D said, call. The worst thing is they will say no.

(PS - They also need diapers and other things for babies and children)

Collectors: if you have something particularly old or tied to a specific franchise, collectors will pay high dollar for them.
    Homeless Shelters: these kids are going through a lot, a nice cuddly plush is really what they need so that they don't feel alone, not to mention they probably don't have much
    Preschools: if all else fails, preschools are a nice home for plushies.

I would discourage using thrift shops, it unlikely they'll make it out of the backroom.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    oh, this is such a good idea <3 , perfect for all parts - throwing away plushies is really horrible, giving them to someone who needs them is just great !!!