MattiKins

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
In another post I created an impromptu guide to reinforcing diaper tapes. I'm not an easy guy to get a good fit on, and reinforcement not only keeps the tapes from popping off, it also keeps the diaper snug around my legs and waist. This is the method I currently use, with pictures, a nice, easy step-by-step guide.

1. I use clear duct tape mostly, especially on dips with patterns and decorations. It's virtually transparent and yet, stronger than packing tape. However, there's a bazillion different types of duct tape with patterns or licensed characters to choose from.

Clear Tape.jpg

Most pieces I use are about 3-4" in length but can vary based on your needs.

Tape Size.jpg

2. After securing the diaper's tapes, begin with the lower area. See that flap that comes around from the back? Take a piece of tape about 4" long, and attach one end to that flap. You should have about 2" of tape sticking out. Pull that horizontally across the front of the diaper towards your crotch. It may overlap the diaper's original tape but that's okay. You should feel the leg hole snug right up. Don't pull it too tight- you're going for snug. You still want circulation and movement. It's just that sometimes, the lower tape just isn't positioned properly relative to your leg. Using the duct tape not only reinforces the lower tape and keeps it from popping (those are always the ones that go on me), but it helps cut down on leaks.

Lower Tape.jpg

3. The upper tape is much the same. First, make sure the back flap is up as far as it will go, and then take the same size piece of tape and fasten it to that panel, leaving the same 2" exposed. Then, with thehand of the side you're taping (ex. right hand for the right side), hold the inner front flap still, suck in your stomach, and pull the exposed tape towards your navel area and secure. This greatly cuts down on slack around the waist, and you don't have to tape all the way across, thus saving tape.

Upper Tape.jpg

4. Take a piece of tape and seal the gap between the upper and lower tapes. This won't affect fit but it will close off one more potential avenue of leakage.

Vertical Tape.jpg

5. Repeat for the opposite side, and behold your finished diaper that you will need the jaws of life to get off of you.

Finished Tape.jpg

So, what works for everyone else?

Only issue I've really ran into is that none of those tapes stretch, and usually if you tape tightly and there's no give, it's going to be hard on your skin. I've gotten minor bruises.

Readjusting the tape must be a nightmare too. Once its there, its there.

If I go the duck tape route it's usually after half an hour or so after I've gotten comfy but before it gets loose. Not enough of a problem with good diapers since I'm a twig though. Lazy points if you slice it on the roll first.

For me, most of the time my diaper tabs work, so I wait until a tab pops before I use clear duct or packing tape.

i do this when i'm putting on a plastic-backed diaper (such as that Bellissimo) for the fourth and fifth time. (or if i mess up and have to reapply a tape)

it works perfectly for me! c:

I generally haven't had an issue with the tapes on my diapers, though I'll keep this in mind for the rare moments when a tape tears or breaks off.

I've never had an issue with bruising due to tape reinforcement. That's a new one on me. I never let the tape touch skin, though. It's all plastic to plastic contact.

I usually don't need to readjust, so I've no problem with being "welded in".

If anything the extra tape helps keep the diaper fitting better while I am active. The stock tapes don't pop on me if I am not doing much but if I am out and about getting in and out if my car and such, I like knowing that those tapes are not going anywhere.

Hello MattiKins,

Same here. I use duck tape to reinforce my plastic backed diapers. I want to make SURE the tabs are not going to come loose and pop off while I am out and about. Not like I can be walking through a store and be like "opps, diaper tab popped off, let me slip into the bathroom and fix it". I don't walk around with a roll of duck tape with me. The other perk of using duck tape is if you mess in only the toilet, you can pull the diaper down like underwear. I have been doing this for years, pulling the diaper down like underwear as I am only urinary incontinent and use the toilet for messing. And yea, I have not had problems with bruising either. The trick is I put the diaper on snug, but not tight. So it's never so tight as to cause bruising. And I have to use duck tape as my insurance company only covers store brand quality diapers and they tape tabs SUCK. So duck tape is needed most times. I always put a strip over each tape tab, and then another piece to go over the gap between the upper and lower tape to block any possible leaks on my side. Thanks for sharing with pictures MattiKins. :)

-Baby Stanley

Nice pictures. Same here! I use the same tape. Scotch Tough Transparent Duct Tape. I pick it up at Walmart for about $3.88 a roll. It works great, the diaper never falls down or comes undone. I don't understand why they don't sell diapers with big tapes. Imagine having a diaper with a tape that is 2" wide and 2.5" long for all four tapes. I know its the costs. But this is a great alternative. You can also buy color designs tapes too. I never had much problems with the diapers that have the frontal tape landing zone. I wish the ConfiDry 24/7 diaper some day have the frontal tape landing zone too. Here is a link of 3m http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/Personal-Care/-/Products/Tape-Closure-System/

stanley19802 said:
Hello MattiKins

Hey Stanley, how ya been?

I use duck tape to reinforce my plastic backed diapers. I want to make SURE the tabs are not going to come loose and pop off while I am out and about. Not like I can be walking through a store and be like "opps, diaper tab popped off, let me slip into the bathroom and fix it". I don't walk around with a roll of duck tape with me

It can be trickier for us larger folks too, because one turn too far or one awkward step and that tape could pop at any second. I've lost some weight over the last year but I'm still a big guy, and I'd rather not take the chance of a tape coming off and then I am scrambling to find a place to change or tape up. Plus, I don't use cheap dips, so I am hesitant to throw one out because of a bad tape.

The other perk of using duck tape is if you mess in only the toilet, you can pull the diaper down like underwear. I have been doing this for years, pulling the diaper down like underwear as I am only urinary incontinent and use the toilet for messing.

Off topic, but I was in a single-occupancy stall yesterday doing my #2 business, and I thought I had turned the lock all the way. It was a deadbolt that, when you lock it, a sign on the outside switches from "vacant" to "occupied". Well, the sign flipped but the lock didn't fully engage, and someone walked right in. I mean, don't people knock anymore? So there I was, sitting on the pot, but around my ankles was my diaper inside my toy-robot plastic pants.

Be he'll knock next time.

And yea, I have not had problems with bruising either. The trick is I put the diaper on snug, but not tight. So it's never so tight as to cause bruising.

I think that comment was directed because in one of the pictures it looks like I might tape the flap to my leg, and not the opposite panel.

I have to use duck tape as my insurance company only covers store brand quality diapers and they tape tabs SUCK.

What dips are you using now? I know you were big on the Unique Wellness for a while. I still have some of the 1st-Gen Wellness (pre-Superio). I liked the first run of Superio, but the latest versions have a tendency to split right up the backside.

Thanks for sharing with pictures MattiKins. :)

-Baby Stanley[/QUOTE]

Anytime, Stanley. Hope you are doing well.

- - - Updated - - -

BabyToddler said:
I don't understand why they don't sell diapers with big tapes. Imagine having a diaper with a tape that is 2" wide and 2.5" long for all four tapes. I know its the costs. But this is a great alternative.

I wonder, too. Tapes are something that everyone complains about. Imagine if a dip had two tapes per side that were as strong and solid as the ones on an ABU Cushie or SDK? A lot of us would pay for it... but would it cost less just to reinforce? Probably.

[I wish the ConfiDry 24/7 diaper some day have the frontal tape landing zone too.

That would be nice. The Rearz has a nice clear landing zone, the tabs on them are just a wee bit small, though.

We have found clear packing tape works really well, but not just any! We made the mistake of buying the cheaper stuff. No Bueno! As the main diaper changer, I can attest, the 3M Scotch Tough packing tape is the best for us! I am sure the duct tape is great too, but I like the value of the packing tape. You get way more tape in a roll. But you have to use the good stuff. Its the same amount as the duct tape, you just get more in it. He stays in very secure, even when he is buying diapers that he doesn't fit into at all. With those, I can still use the tape, and he is safe and secure all day.
What we found is that when he is at work, pulling of the tabs to go to the bathroom (not pee) is not only loud, but as someone with IBS, and who makes frequent trips, this is just not practical. the tapes being taken off repeatedly throughout the day, would make them useless. So, we began taping him in, and he pulls it down (rather, shimmys it down) pull up style. What I do is place a little piece over the bottom tabs (really its unneeded, but we like for him to feel secure) and I use one long strip across the whole front top, from top tab to top tab. this has two functions. 1: keeps the tabs taped so he can firmly pull on the sides to get the diaper down. 2: tightens up the gap that forms at the top front of the diaper. Snug as a bug!
I too agree, 24/7s should have a front panel. They are my personal favorite to put on him, as they seem to be in between sizes. He is way too big for a medium bambino (his diaper of choice) but the larges are too big! So I really like the 24/7s, and the tapes by themselves are pretty great. I have noticed with the latest shipment, Bambinos improved their tapes,making them wider. Thank You!!! ha ha. so much better.
Thats our taping discoveries. :)

Hello MattiKins,

Good for the most part. Had a hospital stay 2 months ago for another bipolar incident. But was back to my day to day life quick. Other than that, doing good. I am quite excited as a AB Daddy I met about 18 months ago is flying out to visit me for a week in the end of August. I can't wait. With him being on the east coast 3,000 miles away from me, this will be the first chance to bond in person. And he's excited to be able to wear 24/7 as he's living at home right now and his parents don't know. So he's taking advantage of the visit to be able to enjoy diapers 24/7. I don't mind a padded Daddy. So yea, should be a lot of fun. :)

It would be cool to have Mommy come too, but she's in Canada and is married with two kids under 10. And I wouldn't want her to be away from her kids so long. So we just keep it to video chat. I am just very happy to have AB parents again after Sandra's passing. I REALLY missed having a AB parental figure in my life.

Anyway, with the duck tape, yea, I use it with the plastic backed diapers. Avoiding it sticking to skin it a must. Also true about issues with being a larger guy. Diapers move a bit different for us larger guys. With not wanting to waste a diaper, I totally hear you. I have had diaper get pin pricks or splits. I would much rather throw a piece of clear tape, duck tape or whatever over the defect area and make it last than throw out a diaper.

Currently with this batch of Wings Choice Plus (the store brand similar quality diapers my insurance sends me) has 2-4 small holes on the left side of the back wing. I just put a small piece of duck tape over the holes to prevent leaks. Most batches are alright accept for defects like diaper tape tabs had come unstuck and stuck to the diaper itself right out of the pack. Or the elastic banding runs high and causes the waist of the diaper to be pulled down toward the legs bindings and have to be cut with a razor blade to cut the elastic strand. But for free diapers (5 a day, any more I need I have to buy out of pocket) I really can't complain. I make them work. But even those, unless they are soaked pretty good I won't toss them. Especially having to make 5 a day work. A diaper has to be pretty messed up for me to toss it.

With pulling down the diaper like underwear, securing the diaper tabs with duck tape will make sure the stress of pulling the diaper up and down like underwear won't cause the tape tabs to pop off. There have been times I have messed a diaper. But it's typically when sick. Otherwise I pull down my diaper like underwear to avoid the cleanup of a messy diaper. It works for me. :)

As for the guy who walked in on ya, yea, I bet he will knock next time. And although he walked in on ya, he may have noticed the diaper, but I don't think he noticed more than that unless he stood there for awhile. Most people when they find they have walked in on someone typically spin around real quick to look away as they back out saying "oh oh sorry, I thought the stall was empty, sorry" and so don't see much.

Myself I would much rather mess my diaper than use a public toilet stall for #2. I have been uncomfortable with public bathrooms since I was a kid. I got a complex during my school years from students who would pound on the stall door, rattle the door, peek underneath, stand on the toilet next door to look over the top, make comments like "Dude, the f****ing stinks" so something like that.

And at one school it was made worse by students not being allowed to be alone, including not going to the bathroom unless with a staff member. It was a special education school. So when peeing you had a staff member standing 2-4 feet behind you waiting for you to go and walk you back to class. Same with pooping. He would stand right outside the stall door listening to see if you were doing anything other than using the bathroom. So I developed a issue where I would hold it till I got home. This didn't always work out and so ended up with poopy underwear for my mom to chew me out for.

The longest I have been known to ever hold it was 5 days. And even at home, if there is anyone outside the bathroom door, like someone needs to go and is standing there waiting for me to come out I can't go. So sometimes I just use a diaper which is easier for me to go in than try to deal with the complications of the complex. But then again, it's very rare I am in a situation where I am unable to go home and use the bathroom. So again, having to mess a diaper is very rare.

As for what diapers I use now, my everyday diaper is the Wings Choice Plus my medical insurance covers. They are similar to store quality diapers. And typically last 2-3 hours before needing a change. So to get 4-6 hours between changes I double them up, cutting holes in the plastic backing of the inner diapers' plastic cover.

I also wear Wellness Briefs Superio line as well as Abena Level 4. The Wellness Briefs are for special situations. Thankfully I have never had any of my Wellness Briefs split up the back side. I use the Wellness Briefs for hospital stays and for when going food shopping and such. Basically when I need either a quiet diaper, a high compacity diaper that doesn't take up much space and a diaper that won't fall apart and dump fluff on the ground for all to see. In my hospital bag I wanted a quiet diaper that won't crinkle as I walk down the hospital hallway, but had to be a diaper that gave me 8-10 hours per diaper as I could only carry so many with me.

When I am in the hospital, my county doesn't have it's own psychiatric hospital. They rent beds from a hospital in Sacramento 4 hours drive away and is too far for anyone to bring me more diapers. So what I have in my hospital bag MUST last me. I have 30 Wellness Briefs which can last me between 10-15 days depending on how many I go through per day. On a good day I can make 2 a day work. But on bad days need 3.

The Abena Level 4's I use for long car rides, nights when I know I have had a lot of liquids to drink and want to avoid having to change several times overnight, or when sick to again avoid having to change often.

Then with the Wings diapers and Wellness Briefs (and even sometimes with the Abena) I use baby diapers as soakers. Typically I use Pampers Easy-Ups 4t-5t for overnight, and then during the day use either Pampers Cruisers size 6 or Parents Choice size 6 diapers. And that's the diapers I use.

-Baby Stanley

stanley19802 said:
Good for the most part. Had a hospital stay 2 months ago for another bipolar incident. But was back to my day to day life quick. Other than that, doing good.

Nice. Good to see you've bounced back.

I am quite excited as a AB Daddy I met about 18 months ago is flying out to visit me for a week in the end of August. I can't wait. With him being on the east coast 3,000 miles away from me, this will be the first chance to bond in person. And he's excited to be able to wear 24/7 as he's living at home right now and his parents don't know. So he's taking advantage of the visit to be able to enjoy diapers 24/7. I don't mind a padded Daddy. So yea, should be a lot of fun. :)

It's always fun with company. My little brother and I always have fun. I was lucky to meet someone local and we tend to do a lot of play and stuff together. In fact, I learned my taping method from him.

It would be cool to have Mommy come too, but she's in Canada and is married with two kids under 10. And I wouldn't want her to be away from her kids so long. So we just keep it to video chat. I am just very happy to have AB parents again after Sandra's passing. I REALLY missed having a AB parental figure in my life.

That's awesome. Sandra loved you very much and would want you to be happy! As of yet, I have no parent figure... My brother's daddy will sometimes change me but he's more like an uncle or babysitter. I am married and my husband knows and accepts my ABDL/little side and indulges me on occasion, but he doesn't step into the role. I am not craving a parent figure, but it would be nice to have someone once in a while to fill that role. I can be little to greater degrees than most and I am happy for it, but really want to just let go. :) I'm sure you understand that.

Also true about issues with being a larger guy. Diapers move a bit different for us larger guys.

Yes, and some fit better than others.

With not wanting to waste a diaper, I totally hear you. I have had diaper get pin pricks or splits. I would much rather throw a piece of clear tape, duck tape or whatever over the defect area and make it last than throw out a diaper.

I had a ConfiDry 24/7 that lost adhesive on the tapes, because I put lotion on and didn't clean my hands off enough. Lotion cancels adhesive, and I couldn't even get the duct tape to work, so I had to set that one aside. I didn't throw it away, I was gonna use it for a stuffer, but then, I managed to get it to work for me last night with duct tape. Amazing material, that is. Just strapped it right on. I was so glad I salvaged it! But, if a diaper has any moisture on it, even tape won't seal a pin prick or small split. I wear plastic pants/diaper covers all the time when I am out and to bed to avoid springing a leak.

Most batches are alright accept for defects like diaper tape tabs had come unstuck and stuck to the diaper itself right out of the pack.

That happens with every brand. My brother opened a pack of Bambino Teddys only to find half of the upper landing zone gone! At least with a blown tape out of the package, that's fixable.

With pulling down the diaper like underwear, securing the diaper tabs with duck tape will make sure the stress of pulling the diaper up and down like underwear won't cause the tape tabs to pop off.

Another issue that affects larger folks too, and even women of all sizes. Getting them down over the hips without popping tabs isn't easy, and once you get them back up, a re-tape can help tighten the waistline a bit.

As for the guy who walked in on ya, yea, I bet he will knock next time. And although he walked in on ya, he may have noticed the diaper, but I don't think he noticed more than that unless he stood there for awhile. Most people when they find they have walked in on someone typically spin around real quick to look away as they back out saying "oh oh sorry, I thought the stall was empty, sorry" and so don't see much.

Oh, he got an eyeful, haha. I wasn't ashamed, though.

would much rather mess my diaper than use a public toilet stall for #2. I have been uncomfortable with public bathrooms since I was a kid. I got a complex during my school years from students who would pound on the stall door, rattle the door, peek underneath, stand on the toilet next door to look over the top, make comments like "Dude, the f****ing stinks" so something like that.

I wear to work, so messing would be bad. I am out on the road and I can stop to clean up and change, but it takes time to do that, and time is money for me. I only use single-occupancy bathrooms, though. I know which stores and restaurants have those in my area. I wouldn't drop my pants if diapered or change my diaper in a multi-toilet facility. I need single occupancy and a working lock.

my everyday diaper is the Wings Choice Plus my medical insurance covers. They are similar to store quality diapers. And typically last 2-3 hours before needing a change. So to get 4-6 hours between changes I double them up, cutting holes in the plastic backing of the inner diapers' plastic cover.

I see. I know you're not made of money but when you get a chance, check out the NorthShore Care 2XL booster pads, they're about $60 for a case of 80, and they'll make the cheapest diaper feel and perform like a premium product. I use that with an old-school Wellness as my current daytime diaper (I got lucky and bought like 4 cases of those Wellnesses last year from a guy on Craigslist for $40/case, and I have about a half a case left. Just trying to use them up at this point).

I also wear Wellness Briefs Superio line as well as Abena Level 4. The Wellness Briefs are for special situations. Thankfully I have never had any of my Wellness Briefs split up the back side.

Yeah, I don't know why, but that's happened twice now with the newest Superio (the one with the landing zone). I use an XL too, which is actually big on me but I prefer a big diaper. I have only had minor tears and pinholes in the green ones, and much of that is due to their age, and the first edition Superios were great.

I use the Wellness Briefs for hospital stays and for when going food shopping and such. Basically when I need either a quiet diaper, a high compacity diaper that doesn't take up much space and a diaper that won't fall apart and dump fluff on the ground for all to see.

That's what my brother wears to work :) He likes them quiet because he works in an office.

The Abena Level 4's I use for long car rides, nights when I know I have had a lot of liquids to drink and want to avoid having to change several times overnight, or when sick to again avoid having to change often.

Yeah, those are pretty much tanks, haha. Not much in the looks department but for function, it gets no better.

Then with the Wings diapers and Wellness Briefs (and even sometimes with the Abena) I use baby diapers as soakers. Typically I use Pampers Easy-Ups 4t-5t for overnight, and then during the day use either Pampers Cruisers size 6 or Parents Choice size 6 diapers.

I used to do that, but it became too much work trimming the wings off and poking holes in baby diapers, and then they don't stick to the inside of the diaper, you have to either put it on laying down, which I can't do by myself with my back issues, or awkwardly try to hold them in place if you use the wall method. I like my NorthShore 2X boosters because they have adhesive on one side which holds it in place against the host diaper, makes it easier to put on and like I said, turns even the cheapest diaper into a beast of absorbency.

And that's the diapers I use.

Yaaay! :::chases Stanley with a feather duster with intent to tickle furiously:::

Hello MattKins,

Yea, I can normally bounce back pretty quick depending on length of stay. Always nice to be back in my crib of course. Too bad I can't get a hospital crib while in hehehe.

As for playing with others, your so right, it's always more fun with others to role play with. It sure helps when they are local too. You can get together far more often. And with the taping method he taught you, I am glad it works well. I kind of stumbled onto the whole duck tape over the tape tabs thing back in my early 20's when the tape tabs kept popping unstuck when Walgreens changed their diaper design. Before the change the tapes suck like super glue. You had to tear the diaper to get them unstuck. But after the change, they just didn't stick as well at all.

With Sandra, yea, she did love me a lot. Let me correct myself on that. She loves me very much. She never stopped. :) I am sorry to hear you have not had a parent figure yet. I hope you get to have one soon. It's sure a very special thing. Be it in person or just online. For me the role playing is more than just for fun. I role play sure, but we also talk about day to day life stuff too and they take on a parental role there too offering suggestions, hugs for hard days and stuff like that. So the end up like a real second Mom or Dad to me. But that's just the way it is for me.

But till you get a AB parent of your own, that's cool that your brother's Daddy is willing to change and baby you a bit as a uncle or baby sitter kind of set up. That's how Sandra was with me in the start. Her friend Pam was originally my Mommy. That's who I moved to New York to live with was Pam. Sandra would come over from time to time but wasn't really INTO it more than reading stories and such and says she would play the aunt who came over to visit for a bit. But when Mommy Pam died Sandra saw how much I missed the babying and decided to baby me a bit from time to time when she felt up to it. She had a lot of health issues so she didn't feel up to it all the time. But it would be stuff like a bottle feeding, reading me a story, color with me or something.

But to have that parent there, your able to fully let go of your adult role and slip fully into that baby role and know your parent or baby sitter can help you get into that role completely for awhile. When in the right situation, yet, I can totally let go and my baby side can come out. And it really helps when your with someone you trust to handle things while you do it.

With your brother getting a half messed up pack of Teddy's, that's horrible. Especially at their price. Did the company (I forget which) make good on them? Or did he just have to accept the loss? WOW. I would try out some of those brands myself, but I just can't justify the 3-4 dollars per diaper prices. If I bought them I wouldn't bring myself to wet it knowing the price. LOL. I have two race car diapers a friend gave me. Still have not used them.

With using them like underwear, it's true, you need to duck tape the tape tabs or they will pop off when you try to pull the diaper down. Another trick I learned was not to just pull them straight down, but to kind of shimmy them down and more or less wiggle them down over the hips. They do get a little loose when pulled back up, but it's not majorly loose to where they will leak on me. Has seemed to work well for me since I started doing it 15 years ago.

Thanks for the tip on the NorthShore Care booster pads. I will check them out when I can afford it. I normally use baby diapers for booster pads. I recently found a good baby diaper that shocks me with how much it could hold. I thought finding the Pampers Easy-Ups 4t-5t's were good. But I found Parents Choice size 6 overnite diapers and WOW, these hold a lot.

And just today I got a e-mail that Walmart.com has began stocking the Parents Choice in size 7! Other than Pampers, this is the ONLY company I have seen make a size 7 baby diaper. So when I have the extra 14 bucks I plan to order a pack. You get 52 size 7 diapers (if memory serves) for the Parents Choice brand. Like 26 cents a diaper. Half the price of the Pampers brand. And seem to hold a TON. And if your into the swell factor, these swell A LOT. I can put the size 6 overnite in my diaper of two wings doubled up and it last me, a heavy wetter all night. So I am officially impressed considering it's a diaper intended for babies.

***runs from MattKins giggling all the way***

-Baby Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back