Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinforcing Tapes/Secure Fit- Methods?

Default Reinforcing Tapes/Secure Fit- Methods?

In another post I created an impromptu guide to reinforcing diaper tapes. I'm not an easy guy to get a good fit on, and reinforcement not only keeps the tapes from popping off, it also keeps the diaper snug around my legs and waist. This is the method I currently use, with pictures, a nice, easy step-by-step guide.

1. I use clear duct tape mostly, especially on dips with patterns and decorations. It's virtually transparent and yet, stronger than packing tape. However, there's a bazillion different types of duct tape with patterns or licensed characters to choose from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clear Tape.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	23686

Most pieces I use are about 3-4" in length but can vary based on your needs.

Name:	Tape Size.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	23691

2. After securing the diaper's tapes, begin with the lower area. See that flap that comes around from the back? Take a piece of tape about 4" long, and attach one end to that flap. You should have about 2" of tape sticking out. Pull that horizontally across the front of the diaper towards your crotch. It may overlap the diaper's original tape but that's okay. You should feel the leg hole snug right up. Don't pull it too tight- you're going for snug. You still want circulation and movement. It's just that sometimes, the lower tape just isn't positioned properly relative to your leg. Using the duct tape not only reinforces the lower tape and keeps it from popping (those are always the ones that go on me), but it helps cut down on leaks.

Name:	Lower Tape.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	23687

3. The upper tape is much the same. First, make sure the back flap is up as far as it will go, and then take the same size piece of tape and fasten it to that panel, leaving the same 2" exposed. Then, with thehand of the side you're taping (ex. right hand for the right side), hold the inner front flap still, suck in your stomach, and pull the exposed tape towards your navel area and secure. This greatly cuts down on slack around the waist, and you don't have to tape all the way across, thus saving tape.

Name:	Upper Tape.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	23688

4. Take a piece of tape and seal the gap between the upper and lower tapes. This won't affect fit but it will close off one more potential avenue of leakage.

Name:	Vertical Tape.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	23690

5. Repeat for the opposite side, and behold your finished diaper that you will need the jaws of life to get off of you.

Name:	Finished Tape.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	23692

So, what works for everyone else?

Only issue I've really ran into is that none of those tapes stretch, and usually if you tape tightly and there's no give, it's going to be hard on your skin. I've gotten minor bruises.

Readjusting the tape must be a nightmare too. Once its there, its there.

If I go the duck tape route it's usually after half an hour or so after I've gotten comfy but before it gets loose. Not enough of a problem with good diapers since I'm a twig though. Lazy points if you slice it on the roll first.

For me, most of the time my diaper tabs work, so I wait until a tab pops before I use clear duct or packing tape.

i do this when i'm putting on a plastic-backed diaper (such as that Bellissimo) for the fourth and fifth time. (or if i mess up and have to reapply a tape)

it works perfectly for me! c:

I generally haven't had an issue with the tapes on my diapers, though I'll keep this in mind for the rare moments when a tape tears or breaks off.

I've never had an issue with bruising due to tape reinforcement. That's a new one on me. I never let the tape touch skin, though. It's all plastic to plastic contact.

I usually don't need to readjust, so I've no problem with being "welded in".

If anything the extra tape helps keep the diaper fitting better while I am active. The stock tapes don't pop on me if I am not doing much but if I am out and about getting in and out if my car and such, I like knowing that those tapes are not going anywhere.

Hello MattiKins,

Same here. I use duck tape to reinforce my plastic backed diapers. I want to make SURE the tabs are not going to come loose and pop off while I am out and about. Not like I can be walking through a store and be like "opps, diaper tab popped off, let me slip into the bathroom and fix it". I don't walk around with a roll of duck tape with me. The other perk of using duck tape is if you mess in only the toilet, you can pull the diaper down like underwear. I have been doing this for years, pulling the diaper down like underwear as I am only urinary incontinent and use the toilet for messing. And yea, I have not had problems with bruising either. The trick is I put the diaper on snug, but not tight. So it's never so tight as to cause bruising. And I have to use duck tape as my insurance company only covers store brand quality diapers and they tape tabs SUCK. So duck tape is needed most times. I always put a strip over each tape tab, and then another piece to go over the gap between the upper and lower tape to block any possible leaks on my side. Thanks for sharing with pictures MattiKins.

-Baby Stanley

Nice pictures. Same here! I use the same tape. Scotch Tough Transparent Duct Tape. I pick it up at Walmart for about $3.88 a roll. It works great, the diaper never falls down or comes undone. I don't understand why they don't sell diapers with big tapes. Imagine having a diaper with a tape that is 2" wide and 2.5" long for all four tapes. I know its the costs. But this is a great alternative. You can also buy color designs tapes too. I never had much problems with the diapers that have the frontal tape landing zone. I wish the ConfiDry 24/7 diaper some day have the frontal tape landing zone too. Here is a link of 3m