Should I buy diapers online in my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvtowearpampers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It's a generally known fact that you can get higher quality diapers online than you can in stores. So far, I've only bought diapers in store. I'd like to order some diapers online, but I've determined that the only way I'd be able to get them is to ship them to my home. This is because:
a. Lack of ease of use for USPS General Delivery, as well as higher shipping costs and fewer websites that ship USPS
b. No UPS or Fedex station nearby that I could ship the package to

You may be wondering why it would be an issue to ship to my home. This is because I live with my mother, who I have attempted to tell about AB/DL twice in the past, though she was not accepting both times. But, when I told her about this, I still had a lack of understanding for my feelings and was too scared to state them clearly. This means that if she were to get to the package before I could, she would probably know what they are for and I would likely be confronted. I have a few ideas.
a. Tell her about the package beforehand, but don't state the contents of the package saying that it's private, and if she still opens the package I would go from there
b. Say nothing about the package and hope for the best
c. (the idea that I really don't want to use and probably wouldn't work) Tell her that I have ordered diapers before hand, and try to convince her to accept
d. The situation is too dangerous and I should wait until I have better options

Which do you think is best out of A, B or C? Or, are A, B and C all too dangerous and I should go with D? Or, do you have more ideas?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Luvtowearpampers

e. Ship them to a UPS store or have them routed to a FedEx location.

-RMS

RMS401 said:
e. Ship them to a UPS store or have them routed to a FedEx location.

-RMS

I had determined that that was not an option (see "b" in things I had determined weren't options).

Okay, missed that. Sorry. In that case, a few more questions:
1) How many diapers do you want to buy? A case of diapers would certainly raise suspicions, but a single bag or sampler might not.
2) Would your mother open the package addressed to you?
3) What do you feel would happen if she found out about this and confronted you? What's the worst-case scenario?
4) Is it possible--just possible--that you really just want to get this out in the open and ordering diapers knowing that it might force a confrontation is what you're really after?

Just askin'.

-RMS

Order and hope for the best. Better ask for forgiveness than permission.

RMS401 said:
Okay, missed that. Sorry. In that case, a few more questions:
1) How many diapers do you want to buy? A case of diapers would certainly raise suspicions, but a single bag or sampler might not.
2) Would your mother open the package addressed to you?
3) What do you feel would happen if she found out about this and confronted you? What's the worst-case scenario?
4) Is it possible--just possible--that you really just want to get this out in the open and ordering diapers knowing that it might force a confrontation is what you're really after?

Just askin'.

-RMS

1. I probably wouldn't be ordering a case, but not just a single bag. It would probably be somewhere around a half case (50 diapers tops).
2. I really don't know, that's part of the gamble. Perhaps I should order something from Amazon that's not diaper related as a test?
3. If I was confronted, I have a feeling she would not be accepting. The worst case scenario would probably be not being able to wear again while I'm living with her. But, if I had stated that the package was private, I would also be disappointed that she invaded my privacy.
4. That may be something my subconscious partially wants, but the rest of me gives a solid no.

- - - Updated - - -

plasticsounds said:

Thanks for the advice.

Probably do a test from amazon non diaper related and see what she does. If she respects your wishes and does not go through the package then its a safe bet she won't open your package of diapers. But if she does open it then you should probably not order them especially if you don't know how your mom will react. My mom did not react positively when they went through my package so I would recommend hiding them in your car if you have your own car that is. But the choice is really up to you but testing out an order is a spot on idea thats what I would do first if I were you.

One excuse I used in the past is "I'm ordering some stuff for one of my friends, keep an eye out for the box please" then when I would get the box I would put the diapers away, reseal the box and walk it down the road then round the corner and hand it off to a neighbor who collects cardboard. Back when I lived at home I had a very chill mom and the boxes were small so not a lot of suspicion was raised.

Living in the UK I don't really understand your mailing system, in the past I have used my work address when ordering nappies or other such items, as I usually worked alone it wasn't a problem although once it was sent directly to the stores which caused a slight problem lol

If you want the diapers, order them. Does your mother make a habit out of opening your mail/packages?

plasticsounds said:

Echoed, but- also keep in mind, it is her house and she can veto your plans.

I would order one bag to start and see if she snoops.

Ok before I place my test order (non diaper related) I'm wondering if I should say not to open the package or just not say anything?

luvtowearpampers said:
Ok before I place my test order (non diaper related) I'm wondering if I should say not to open the package or just not say anything?

If she rarely or never opens your packages or mail, I would say don't tell her and just she what she does. If she has opened your mail recently, then I would say something.

Personally I wouldn't do it, just because you live with your mom and she does not approve of you liking diapers. I have hated a talk that I had to have with my parents when they found out.
That's just my two cents.

Whether you're shipping via USPS, FedEx, or UPS, all these carriers offer "Hold for Pick-up" services for free. They can hold the package for you at their nearest location/outlet/distribution center and you can pick it up there on your own time, then sneak it home. Just be sure to pick it up within 5 business days or it may be returned. Also, remember to request this very prominently from the merchant before you make your purchase, to ensure they will follow the instructions and include the "hold for pick-up" on the ship label.

luvtowearpampers said:

Specifically telling someone to stay out of something will really skew the test. It'll likely make them either a lot less OR a lot MORE likely to look, and it's impossible to say which.

jeremyi said:
Whether you're shipping via USPS, FedEx, or UPS, all these carriers offer "Hold for Pick-up" services for free. They can hold the package for you at their nearest location/outlet/distribution center and you can pick it up there on your own time, then sneak it home. Just be sure to pick it up within 5 business days or it may be returned. Also, remember to request this very prominently from the merchant before you make your purchase, to ensure they will follow the instructions and include the "hold for pick-up" on the ship label.

In my original post I stated that these weren't options for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I've decided to say nothing about the test order, I'll place it tomorrow probably.

Invest in a local post office box. No reason on Earth you can't have one, and they'll just put a note in your box that you have a package waiting. Your mom's out of the loop then, and you can order to your heart's delight, as long as your pocketbook can handle it. And, for anyone that claims that they can't afford something like this, I have a two word response; A JOB!

We're adults (some acting like kids....) now, and we should be able to come up with whatever it takes to satisfy our needs. People begging for diapers, and gifts, are poor excuses for adults, in my opinion. If you can afford the car payment, or your favorite beer, or $100 shoes, you can afford your own diapers, and/or the means to get them, IF they're that important to your well-being.

PS, if you can't POSSIBLY make an USPS box work (can't imagine why...), then you have NO CHOICE, BUT OPTION D.

Last edited:
I actually live in an area that does not offer any post office boxes at the local post office location. The USPS in my area only has the option of delivering to the address since the local post office has no room for storage. Packages that are unable to be delivered by the local post office after 2 attempts are returned as non-deliverable. Packages marked to be held at the local post office are delivered to your door if possible or otherwise returned as non-deliverable. They are under no circumstances held at the local post office and no nearby post offices have any PO boxes available last I heard. Such is life in the middle of nowhere.

okmis said:
Such is life in the middle of nowhere.

In a word, MOVE.

Move out from mom's.

Move out of small town America.

OR

Move your body (in your car) to the next biggest town, and gather up the courage to go into a medical supply store for your purchases (how do you think we did it thirty years ago???), which you'll keep hidden in your car, until the coast is clear... Might want to call them first, to see that they actually have them on hand, and which brands. I went to one (medical supply store) in the past 18 months, hoping to find some Salk protective pants, and the young girl there acted as if she'd never heard of such a thing... DUH, "this is the medical supply store, isn't it???". Wasn't looking for adult diapers, though, which they should certainly have had...

Just remember, this problem of YOUR GRANDPA'S isn't going to go away anytime soon, so you'll probably have to return to purchase more, in the near future... (wink-wink nod-nod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back