Thread: Elio Motors

Default Elio Motors

Anyone seen these things yet? If not here is a link to their site. http://www.eliomotors.com/

First looks, I like it, it's got a unique look, it's cheap and it's got good gas mileage.

But looking closer I also see a lot of flaws with it and am uncertain with it's actual practicality. For starters its Horsepower is complete crap, with a 0-60 in just under 10 seconds. For being so light, it's not very quick. But it's all about the gas mileage right? Which I am betting is around 50 something with city driving and the 84 is highway, because marketing am I right?

That's where I get into the next point, this thing is currently classified as a motorcycle, which means a couple things.

One: You will need to follow the laws of a motorcycle, you will need an motorcycle endorsement on your license (Not a problem for some) BUT get this states that have helmet laws, guess what that means! Thankfully in Colorado we just have eye protection laws. Now I don't believe law enforcement would be too strict on the laws considering the driver is covered on all sides.

Two: Being a "Motorcycle" it does not need to follow the emissions requirements of a normal car. Why is this an issue? It's not as green as it states. Motorcycles do not require emissions.

Three: It's top class safety also means the same thing, motorcycles and cars are classed differently.

But hey, I am an open minded person and would actually consider buying one for a commuter in the summers as I am betting it won't do crap in snow. It looks fun to drive. Safer than a motorcycle, and who knows.

What do you all think?

I've not seen this so I'm curious. Does it have a heater, as that's something you would need living in Colorado. The other issue is reliability. Since it's just hit the market, that would be hard to tell. What brand motor is in it? If it's a new company, I'm sure they don't manufacture the motor, so they're probably using something manufactured by another company. That would be good to know. I also would be concerned about replacement parts should the company go bankrupt. Most new companies do go belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've not seen this so I'm curious. Does it have a heater, as that's something you would need living in Colorado. The other issue is reliability. Since it's just hit the market, that would be hard to tell. What brand motor is in it? If it's a new company, I'm sure they don't manufacture the motor, so they're probably using something manufactured by another company. That would be good to know. I also would be concerned about replacement parts should the company go bankrupt. Most new companies do go belly up.
    From pictures I have seen of the interior, it does have heat and A/C. But right now it's still a prototype and they don't have a working engine for it yet, they threw something from some other car into it for now. Replacement parts it claims are cheap, 80% can be found in the U.S.

I don't think the company will get its funding goal, they needed around 200 million and were only at around 55 million. Unless the government were to give them a grant.

But honestly, I think in the end there are a lot better options on the market already, with more room from Scion and Prius to the smartcars and things like the Nissan Leaf and Tesla if you wanna go higher end. Really it's more of a toy I guess than an actual vehicle. Best of luck to the company if they can make it happen.

D1aperedIncognito

If i cant crash in it without dieing im not gonna use it as a car plus if u hit a deer at more than 25 it would be in your lap ......death trap much

Quote Originally Posted by D1aperedIncognito View Post
    If i cant crash in it without dieing im not gonna use it as a car plus if u hit a deer at more than 25 it would be in your lap ......death trap much
    As far as I can tell it uses the same kind of reenforced roll cage a smart car uses, but since it won't be crash tested, hard to tell how it will do. As for hitting a deer, that goes with ANY vehicle you drive, the deer always has a chance to end up through the windshield. I would actually feel safer hitting a deer in this than in my civic. The smaller windshield makes it harder for the deer to go through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKGfo1wmOM

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    ....its Horsepower is complete crap, with a 0-60 in just under 10 seconds.
    that's actually not bad and certainly comparable with most other vehicles. more important are the 0-40mph and the 20-40mph times as these will be of more practical use (moving off from junctions and overtaking).

the concept may be new to the US, but it's tried and tested in Europe. what puzzles me is the start-up costs: this is the kind of thing that can be done on a shoestring budget, as European and British motor manufacturing history shows.

acorn

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post

That's where I get into the next point, this thing is currently classified as a motorcycle, which means a couple things.

One: You will need to follow the laws of a motorcycle, you will need an motorcycle endorsement on your license (Not a problem for some) BUT get this states that have helmet laws, guess what that means! Thankfully in Colorado we just have eye protection laws. Now I don't believe law enforcement would be too strict on the laws considering the driver is covered on all sides.

Two: Being a "Motorcycle" it does not need to follow the emissions requirements of a normal car. Why is this an issue? It's not as green as it states. Motorcycles do not require emissions.

Three: It's top class safety also means the same thing, motorcycles and cars are classed differently.

What do you all think?
    From the features page, you have the following:

Must-have 2: Uncompromised Safety

Elio is engineered to the highest safety standards. Each Elio comes equipped with a Safety Management System that includes three airbags a reinforced roll-cage frame, Anti-Lock Braking System, and 50% larger crush zones than similar vehicles.
    The car might have it's legal status as a motorcycle strictly/only on the basis that it is a three-wheeler.

In addition to the above safety features if it also includes seat restraints as standard, I cannot see how you could be required to wear a helmet. Though do note all cars have to have proven safety standards, this statement is not so true of this particular vehicle with its motorcycle status.

My first question is: is the car legal to put on the roads in your State? I'd be personally inclined to let the vendor do the required "donkey work" in this case! I'd expect the vendor to be able to tell you....with 100% reliability....of any laws that apply to their product, including where they will differ from State to State.

TMI: My first car was a manual four speed 1000cc Ford Fiesta, it would NOT exceed 60mph, not even in free-fall from the top of the Empire State Building - seriously.

My Honda Pilot has that relatively new ECO engine. Going straight or down hill, it can run on 5, 4, or even 3 cylinders. You might look into a new Honda Civic since you are already driving one. Of course, they wouldn't be as economical as a hybrid. Volkswagen has a diesel engine that is very economical, but you have to pay more for diesel fuel.

If the "elio" was ever going to be produced, its production would have started already. To have the concept for years, and still be like, "Still working on the the right engine." is complete bunk. Now, the idea is correct, lighter, less frontal area, smaller engine. and so on. The problem, here in the US, is that people don't want smaller cars. This is America, where we market full size trucks and SUVs, We don't want no stinkin' sub-compact! Who cares that it's easier to park, and more efficient? If you wanted an elio, You could go buy a 1st gen insight, a ninja 250, and average 70MPG between the two of them. (sure, you'll spend a little more in tires for the ninja, but whats 100-200 when fuel economy is concerned?)

Other than that, all the cool, fuel efficient cars are sold in Europe.