Bedwetting/Incon. likely to return in adulthood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adderuk

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Anyone else had severe bedwetting / incontinence problems as a child and later it returned? Are we more prone to it?

Mine wasn't as bad between 15-21, but got worse again with the same urge incon, and bedwetting several times a week.

I was a chronic bedwetter all through my childhhod and my teens. I am back to nightly wetting again.

My urge incontinence (bladder and bowel) was worse as a young child, got better as a teen and then got worse again as a young adult. I've also flip flopped between night terrors and bedwetting issues while growing up. I partially blame some of my increased incontinence since my early 20's on permanent nerve damage from drug use. But, overall, I would say that yes, incontinence can come back with a vengeance later in life.

I was a bedwetter until age 12 and randomly in High School at age 16 it started again and 13 years later it hasn't stopped. I don't let it affect me too much.

Same here! Mine was light during my teens and mid twenties. Now in my mid thirties, its like I have no control. It got worst overnight. The daytime has also got bad were I started wearing IC Pads to work and out in public.

It is reassuring tosee I am not the only one who's childhood and teenage bedwetting came back as I got older.

I wear attends active slip pretty much 24/7 for accidents, making sure people dont notice is my only worry.

I was late to potty train (almost five), had LOTS of bedwetting trouble and daytime accidents growing up, it got better in my teen years, then started getting worse again and now I'm pretty much 24/7 wearing protection. Sounds like this is a common thing!

AnalogRTO said:
I was late to potty train (almost five), had LOTS of bedwetting trouble and daytime accidents growing up, it got better in my teen years, then started getting worse again and now I'm pretty much 24/7 wearing protection. Sounds like this is a common thing!

very similar with me. I was 5 before I was out of nappies during the day and I continued to wet my bed all through my childhood and teenage years. I'm back to nightly wetting again now.

I come from a family with genetic bed wetting. All of my relatives both male and female were bedwetters.
Potty training and day time control was usually between the ages of 3-4.
Night time however was the age of puberty. For the girls this was between the ages of 9-11 and the boys 10-13.
Other than the normal old age problems are any of the family incontinent.
A few like myself have incontinence due to being wounded in the war.
None that I know (other than myself) are DL/AB

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone did some research (if they haven't already) and found that childhood bedwetters/incontinence sufferers were more likely to have a recurrence of the problem in adulthood.

Like many of my immediate family, I had incontinence/bedwetting issues as a child. I wet my bed virtually every night until my mid-teens, when over a period of time I did it less and less, although it never entirely stopped. After about 15 years or so, wetting whilst I slept began to increase again to the point that now on average I probably do it two or three times a week.

I rather suspect that as I get older this will continue, and that I will eventually end up wetting in my sleep every night again. Since I have slept in a nappy on a nightly basis for around 20 years now, and have no intention of doing otherwise, I am not in the least bit worried by this possibility.

Dear adderuk :

when I was a kid, I constantly wet my bed. This tapered off gradually as I grew, but when I reached my junior year of high school, my bed-wetting returned
because my medical condition had shrunk my bladder size to that of a raisin, ( very strange. ). The next ten years seemed okay for my bed-wetting, but when I was thirty-one, my bed-wetting returned with a vengence. Now, every morning i wake up with wet sheets from constant night peeing. I feel like a baby wetting my bed, but I can't help it, and I don't ever want to change. I'm 48, and I still wet my bed, and I love it.

Jaymegurl

Jaymegurl said:
Dear adderuk :

when I was a kid, I constantly wet my bed. This tapered off gradually as I grew, but when I reached my junior year of high school, my bed-wetting returned
because my medical condition had shrunk my bladder size to that of a raisin, ( very strange. ). The next ten years seemed okay for my bed-wetting, but when I was thirty-one, my bed-wetting returned with a vengence. Now, every morning i wake up with wet sheets from constant night peeing. I feel like a baby wetting my bed, but I can't help it, and I don't ever want to change. I'm 48, and I still wet my bed, and I love it.

Jaymegurl
Me to.

- - - Updated - - -

Me neither. I love being a bedwetter.

I was a nightly bedwetter until age 12, after which is slowed down considerably to about 3-4 times a year through high school. At age 21, my bedwetting frequency started increasing again after a car accident, though its not for sure that the accident caused my bedwetting to return. I have a mild bleeding disorder (hemophilia), which may have led to muscle and nerve degeneration at sites with pooling blood (gross, I know), but its also possible that my hemophilia and bedwetting are connected genetically. My brother and any cousins that also have hemophilia also were bedwetters late into teens. But I also have plenty of cousins that were bedwetters who don't have hemophilia, so who knows.

My previous hemotologist told me that he hasn't seen research on it, but just from his experience has seemed to see a connection between hemophilia and bedwetting. He also told me that adult bedwetting is not at all uncommon, and that if you were a bedwetter as a kid, you are ten times more likely to experience bedwetting as an adult than those who weren't bedwetters as kids. Maybe it really is common for previous bedwetters to return to bedwetting as adults.

Like many of you here, I don't worry about it at all. I rather like my bedwetting and wearing diapers to bed, and was actually pretty excited when my bedwetting started again. I have been wetting nightly again for many years, and don't see or want an end to it. My brother (who stopped wetting at 14) says he doesn't bedwet now, but wouldn't be too upset if he started again. Part of me hopes he does... Does that make me a bad, selfish person? :)

Jared,

I had surgery when I was 14 years old, and we learned the hard way that I have a bleeding disorder, von Willebrand disease, that is similar to mild hemophilia. I bled excessively after the surgery and ended up having to stay in hospital for 3 months. I eventually recovered, but the large amount of blood that leaked into my abdominal cavity apparently did something to the nerves that control my bladder; and I've had bladder control problems ever since.

Interesting thread, although a little scary given how long I had troubles and thought they were behind me. :( well, at least I like diapers if IC does return.

I'm convinced the two are linked.

Haven't had the bedwetting return with a Vengence yet although I had a few episodes here and there in having problems with small badder/O.A.B but yes I do think they are linked together. I was a heavy bedwetting until I was around 19 I'm 25 now

I too wet the bed until the end of my teens in fact I wasn't completely dry at night until my early 20's I had further bedwetting episodes throughout my adult life and am back to nightly wetting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back