PUL vs Vinyl vs Plastic vs Rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesman62

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Howdy Y'all. I have a question, What is the difference between PUL type material as against vinyl or plastic and what would be the best choice to go over cloth diapers? Also, I am thinking about ordering some cloth pre-folds from Changing Times diaper company. Has anyone had any experience with them and their cloth pre-folds? I really appreciate any help and information. Thank you.:dunno:

PUL= Poly Urethane layered
Vinyl= Poly Vinyl chloride = PVC = Standard PLastic
Rubber is just that.

I am from the 60's and PUL just does not feel right to what I remember. It does breath better but if a lot of liquid is on it will sweat through. This is not a leak but after a while I will look like it.

I am partial to PVC/PLastic

The thing to be aware of with rubber is the Allergy issue.

All work with cloth diapers and it just comes down to preference.

As for the company I can not answer I use Baby Pants Prefold.

Egor

I have both vinyl and PUL and I'm always in vinyl at night because I can get the high tops which will cover my cloth diaper. During the day, when I'm not laying down, I'll often wear my PUL pants. I agree with Egor that the vinyl feels more babyish for me because it's what I grew up with. The PUL on the other hand will last a lot longer and you can wash them in your washing machine. They're also more expensive.

I have both to but I find the PUL are not high enough on the back so I don't use them much. I use vinyl pull on with my per fold diapers most of the time, but like egor I like the PVC to.
I have had rubber pull on to but I have a bit of a reaction to them so I don't use them.

bluesman62 said:
Howdy Y'all. I have a question, What is the difference between PUL type material as against vinyl or plastic and what would be the best choice to go over cloth diapers? Also, I am thinking about ordering some cloth pre-folds from Changing Times diaper company. Has anyone had any experience with them and their cloth pre-folds? I really appreciate any help and information. Thank you.:dunno:

I wear cloth pre-folds from Changing Times. They are similar to gauze diapers and very soft after about 6 washes. My waist size is about 31" and I wear the small. The medium is far too large on me. Anyway, great diapers.

As far as waterproof pants, see this LINK. The information is somewhat outdated (for example VIP vinyl pants are no longer made), but will get you started. Selection of a waterproof pant is something that you will need to decide for yourself. Vinyl or plastic pants can be comfortable or really not, it will depend on how they fit your body. PUL or Poly Urethane Laminate pants will breath more, but also are not as slippery when walking and will eventually weep moisture from your diaper to your outer clothing, furniture, etc., but they are cooler. The only way to know is to try a pair. And, I mean ONE pair. Anymore than that and you may end up with a bunch of pants that you don't want to wear.

I'll also put in a good word for Changing Times. Their prefolds are my favorites--perfect copies of the baby prefolds from places like Green Mountain and Nicki's Diapers, because they come from the same manufacturer.

I also like the Baby Pants twill prefolds. The construction isn't quite as baby-perfect as the Changing Times diapers, but the sizing is slightly better for my body shape, so... :shrug:

Regarding waterproof pants: I use the vinyl pull-ons from Changing Times as well. I'd like to try the PUL, but my 38" waist and 27" thighs are a match made in diaper-hell, apparently; nobody makes PUL pants with that kind of waist-to-thigh ratio. The largest size of PUL pant that Changing Times offers, for instance, is an inch small in the legs, and 6" too big in the waist. Damn! Fortunately, the vinyl pants are more agreeable.

But when you order pants, pay attention to all of the measurements. Ordering on waist size alone is a recipe for disappointment.

Also:
Spaz said:
The only way to know is to try a pair. And, I mean ONE pair. Anymore than that and you may end up with a bunch of pants that you don't want to wear.

That. In fact, you really can't go wrong by applying the same rule to the diapers. I actually like having a couple different sizes of prefold, because different sizes can be folded different ways. In any case, it's good to get the experiments out of the way with before you really cut loose with your money.

I agree with all the opinions here regarding which pants to choose. I am partial to Gary or Suprima brands.

Consider this another endorsement for Changing Times. Their cloth prefolds are incredible quality, soft, and very durable. Robert at CTDC is fantastic to deal with. Expect uncommon customer service and personal notes expressing appreciation for your business.

I also endorse Changing Times Diaper Co. I love Roberts prefolds. I'm in one now as I type this.
I also wear his PUL panties as they seem to work well with his prefolds. I've found no problem
with my PUL panties leaking. I do use two pair of them a day. I also have some PUL pullup ones
from Dependeco witch work well with my AIO's.

Damn! This is so cool! I really want to thank all of you, Egor, DogBoy, Spaz, DBBaby, Cottontail, Obagink, and Oleman72 for all of the fantastic information and combined personal knowledge that y'all have supplied me with. I feel a great deal more informed now than I did when I posted this thread! You know, it's folks like y'all that make me super glad that I found this website!
I sincerely believe that there isn't anywhere else where people can feel the level of friendliness, safety, kinship as well as the knowledge, helpful opinions, pertinent information, and downright good humor in some cases, than they can find right here because of all the folks just like y'all. It makes me wish that I knew personally, others who are like all of us here on adisc so that I could them about this site.
Once again, Thank You all for the wonderful help and information.:worshippy:
It's nice to know that we are NOT alone!:grouphug:

Reactions: ryanbailey
hate rubber!
not least from having grown up around latex production and then to have worked in it (natural and synthetic), but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back