Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your most awkward diaper-buying experience?

Default What has been your most awkward diaper-buying experience?

Where I live in Spain the off-the-shelf variety is limited and of poor quality, so it is unfortunately necessary to go into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

My Spanish is pretty limited, but I learnt the words 'adultos panales para mi abuelo por favour' in preparation. The pharmacist bought out a line of pullups, and I realised I should have also worked out a way to communicate that I wanted slips.

Eventually she pulled out a big back of some fabric feel slips by a company called Lysette (they sag awfully when wet but have a very authentic look and feel). I said yes, keen to conclude the transaction as quickly as possible, and threw her the money.

As I was about to leave with the pack, she called back holding a big box. It transpired that they only sold these things in bulk, and I had unknowingly brought a big box full of 4 packs (80 diapers in total), which was far more than I could carry or hide. Plus the cardboard box had a big picture of a diaper on the front, so wasn't even close to inconspicuous.

I tried to wave her off, but I couldn't communicate this to her. At this point a lengthy queue had developed, consisting of people all curious to know why a twenty-something foreigner with no Spanish was trying to buy medical grade adult diapers in bulk.

Eventually I had to relent and grab the huge box off her. I waddled down the road as fast as I could to dump the excess in a dumpster, hoping against hope I hadn't been spotted.

I would usually make a trip far away from my home to buy diapers. I borrow a friends car, or wait for a sunny day I have off and go mid-day on my bike and backpack.

One day, I don't know why, I went to a small pharamacy near my house. Mostly a compounding pharmacy with only a few packages of diapers. I walked in and grabbed a pack of toddlers pull-ups. I knew I was easily able to fit in them. I put them on the counter and the pharmacist says in a really snarky voice (or maybe it just seems like that remembering it)

"Oh. How old is your toddler?"

I didn't know what to say, so I spat out the lame excuse I put in my head beforehand.

"They're for an art project." and I turned and left as quickly as I could.

Welp, didn't go back to that pharmacy, not that I had a reason to, but it always embarrassed me, even just walking past.

Once I went to a cvs and bought large good nights which still barley fit me. The cashier talked about them and I forgot what she said by now but it was really awkward and I didn't expect anyone to say anything about it so I was really surprised and emberassed at the time.

I still go there sometimes because it's convenient, I either haven't seen the same lady or forgot which lady it was.

Default What has been your most awkward diaper-buying experience?

I know this kind of sounds silly, but for me.. honestly the most awkward experience I had buying diapers occurred in an ONLINE order, of all things.

It was actually my very first time actually attempting to buy diapers over the Internet (I was like 12-13 yrs old at the time) and after a long time of nerve wracking planning I decided the best way to discreetly buy the diapers without having a credit card, was to use a money order. Genius, right??

Well..unfortunately, being a somewhat clueless dumb kid at the time, I wrongly assumed that a 'money' order meant sending ACTUAL cash through the mail. Whoops..

So basically what happened was, after a long planned out ninja mission to discreetly acquire stamps--I ended up sending off a printed out order for the older blue tape style of retro Attends, along with a plain white envelope stuffed with the exact amount the order came to, including coins.

The miracle behind all this is that somehow, some incredible person at the company I had bought them from (I think it was actually Northshore) must have realized they were dealing with a clueless, terrified kid or something..because they actually ended up sending the diapers after all. O.o' Talk about killer customer service!

Also, for the record--those old Attends were amazing as a first ever 'real' diaper to have.

My most awkward was probably the first time I ever bought diapers. Nothing in particular happened except that I was no nervous that my arms went numb.

There were some times later on that would have been bad except by then I'd gotten comfortable enough buying them I handled it fine.

At a medical supply store the person ringing me up said "do you buy these a lot?" , which caused me to sort of stare blankly at them for several seconds before saying "no!". I think both of us realized the awkward phrasing we had used at the same time. They quickly clarified that they had some kind of buy 9 get the 10th one free sort of program, and I clarified that I appreciated that they carried premium brands but that I usually got them online except the place I ordered from was out of stock.

Then there was another medical supply store where every time I went there they took 5 minutes to figure out the price of the diapers I was buying and then half the time didn't have change since I was paying cash.

My most awkward time was at CVS. I was buying depends and the guy at the register asked "are these for you?" and I snapped and said "it's none of your f***ing business" (along with a few other choice words) Well the there was a cop behind me and he asked me if there was a problem. At this point I was coming out of my furious state into a more embarrassed state. I said "I think we're ok now" (or something like that I can't quite remember) and out the door o went. My hands were shaking and as I drove home I got more and more pissed off thinking about it.
    I get home and walk right past my mom (I lived with my parents t that time) and didn't even think about the pack of depends that I was holding. Then I gt nervous about that. The next day after I get home from work I go to my room and when I sit on my bed I hear it crinkle. I looked under the sheets and found a plastic mattress cover. two days of embarrassment. Now I could careless about being seen in diapers (especially since I'm incontinent now).

Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    My most awkward time was at CVS. I was buying depends and the guy at the register asked "are these for you?" and I snapped and said "it's none of your f***ing business" (along with a few other choice words) Well the there was a cop behind me and he asked me if there was a problem. At this point I was coming out of my furious state into a more embarrassed state. I said "I think we're ok now" (or something like that I can't quite remember) and out the door o went. My hands were shaking and as I drove home I got more and more pissed off thinking about it.
    I get home and walk right past my mom (I lived with my parents t that time) and didn't even think about the pack of depends that I was holding. Then I gt nervous about that. The next day after I get home from work I go to my room and when I sit on my bed I hear it crinkle. I looked under the sheets and found a plastic mattress cover. two days of embarrassment. Now I could careless about being seen in diapers (especially since I'm incontinent now).
    Omg I had that same thing happen to me at CVS what are the odds?! Well I didn't get pissed off at the guy I got embarrassed payed for the diapers as quickly as possible and left.

My most awkward experience ever, was while buying pullups cool alert at a mini walmart. My dad walked in.

Second most awkward was when I was buying some tugaboos overnights at a rite aid, and the checkout computer crashed. I was late to where I was going, and there was a line building up behind me. After about 6min or more they finaly got it working.

//btw what is it with people always thinking I have children, I'm 20 and most people think I look like i'm 16 or 17. Yet some how people think I have kids old enough to use goodnights l/xl at checkout. I just go along with w/e they say most of the time or redirect the convorstation. Still think its strange tho.

Quote Originally Posted by DerpyHooves209 View Post
    Omg I had that same thing happen to me at CVS what are the odds?! Well I didn't get pissed off at the guy I got embarrassed payed for the diapers as quickly as possible and left.
    I was a real hot heat back then. I'm not sure how I would react nowadays.

I bought mine at a CVS one time and the young checkout girl gave me a sad sympathetic look. Fortunately for me, that was my worst experience.