Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Star Wars Movie

Default New Star Wars Movie

Okay, we really need to have a thread on the new Star Wars movie. The movie is being released in the winter of 2015. If you're one of the five people in the world who haven't seen the trailer yet, here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Where are the Star Wars fans here? Star Wars and Frozen are both owned by Disney. When Disney announced it's plans to produce a sequel to Frozen a few days ago, a thread was started immediately in this forum, even though there's no release date and it could be years in the making. At least with Star Wars, we already have a trailer and a release date of December 18, 2015. Let's get talking already and show those Frozen fans how it's done!

Are you looking forward to it? Will it be any good? What are your thoughts on it?

My thoughts on this (and everyone is entitled to my opinion!). I have high hopes for this new film. I'm actually relieved that George Lucas will not be as heavily involved in the writing and production. I always felt that he used up his best ideas in the first two movies. If you look at the third film in the franchise "The Return of the Jedi" a lot of the ideas were recycled from "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back." It simply retreaded previous plots and ideas, such as another death star being destroyed, another light sabre battle between Luke and Vader, while Jabba's lair was just a more extravagant ripoff of the Cantina Bar in the first movie. The worst part was the Ewoks which were obviously there because Lucas saw an opportunity to make millions off merchandising. Who could pass up on buying these cute, cuddly teddy bears?

I thought the entire prequel trilogy was dismal and tarnished the Star Wars legacy (again, just my opinion). We went from action and adventure in the first trilogy to plots of... negotiating tariffs and trade agreements (yawn). I could never buy into Hayden Christensen's performance as a petulant, morose, self centred brat growing up to become Darth Vader. The movies had great special effects but they couldn't make up for the mediocre plots. And I can never forgive Lucas for giving us Jar Jar Binks.

In spite of all this, I think there's a great opportunity to do it right this time and reinvigorate the franchise.

As stated previously, I think the fact that Lucas will have less involvement and control is a good thing. His writing was often filled with clichés (I've got a baaad feeling about this) and he tended to recycle his own ideas. Bringing in new directors and writers was crucial to revitalizing the franchise.

I also think that J.J. Abrams will be a good fit with Star Wars. He actually managed to breathe some life into the Star Trek franchise which was practically on life support at the time. There were a number of Trek fans who felt his approach to Star Trek was less cerebral and that he focussed too much on action and adventure, and not enough on 'the human condition' for which Star Trek is known. I tend to agree with those comments but it's for those reasons that Abrams should do very well with Star Wars. Star Wars is more of a popcorn movie franchise, and the approach he used on Star Trek will fit like a glove for Star Wars.Also, from what I've seen in the trailer, it looks like they're going back to the roots of the first trilogy, with members of the original cast and a desert planet that looks like Tattooine. It's hard to tell from a 90 second trailer, but it just looks and feels better than anything I've seen in awhile. Hopefully a bit more action, creativity, and better writing, all of which were at the heart of the first movie.

Some possible questions to consider after viewing the trailer ;

Who's the Stormtroooper at the beginning of the trailer?

Who's brandishing that wicked lightsabre?

Is that little Droid rolling along meant to be the next R2D2? (I hope not)

What do you think about Han, Luke, and Leia being included? Should the actors have stayed retired?

Who's piloting the Millennium Falcon? Who's the woman getting on the speeder?

Let the discussion begin! May the force be with you.

I liked this trailer better...
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...teaser/2832821

But seriously, I probably will find the new ones more interesting than 1,2,3.
    It's hard to get worked up over the drama in a movie when you know that a half dozen of the central characters have to survive until movie 4...

I am unsure, I need a storyline to make a decision. It looks awesome so far though. I'm more excited for Avengers at this point as well at the new 007 coming in November.

I've seen it aready, it looks awesome can't wait.

I'm here and I can't wait of course. Some people are saying, "Oh! A black Stormtrooper! That's not right!" I'm of the opinion that something is up, like he's an undercover Jedi or something. I like the idea of Princess Leia and Luke in it, but I really hope they're just minor roles. They need to move on with the story.

I don't think R2-D2 will be replaced. The droid you see is probably a new one, but then again, maybe he is the R2-D2, newer sleeker model. I'm sure there will be another trailer soon with more answers.

I think it can very much go either way. At the very least, I don't think it'll be worse than the 3 prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I also think that J.J. Abrams will be a good fit with Star Wars. He actually managed to breathe some life into the Star Trek franchise which was practically on life support at the time. There were a number of Trek fans who felt his approach to Star Trek was less cerebral and that he focussed too much on action and adventure, and not enough on 'the human condition' for which Star Trek is known.
    The RLM review (http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s.../star-trek-09/) pretty much sums up my opinion on this. The reboot we got was very much star wars style in a star trek setting. More action, less tech, and a totally different feeling. This pissed off a lot of fans, but it was still a good movie imo. More importantly, it managed to get an audience, and was pretty much the only trek movie we were going to get (as you said, star trek was on life support at that point).

So yeah, he made star trek the way the star wars prequels aught to have been, so maybe he'll the new star wars sequels the way they aught to be.

I have separated myself from any information on the movie. I don't know anything about it other than Abrams is the director. I plan to keep it that way until I watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLoneDigi View Post
    I have separated myself from any information on the movie. I don't know anything about it other than Abrams is the director. I plan to keep it that way until I watch it.
    Then untag this thread so you don't get spoilers!

I am definitely going to see this when it comes out later this year, and I will also say that I'm cautiously optimistic about how it will be.

The prequels destroyed my expectations for new Star Wars films so utterly that I think I'd enjoy just about anything. (Although I'm a fan of the Abrams Star Treks, soo--fingers crossed!)

I guess my biggest fear is a pretty common one: That the now-elderly carryover cast will seem like baggage and hold back the plot. Indy 4 was enough of a stretch.

Mostly I continue to look forward to a properly-restored Blu-ray release of the original trilogy, sans all of the later corruptions.