Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drones

Default Drones

What do you think of the future of drones? As drones become more popular, I see a whole flood of celebrity photos and websites (maybe there already is?) showing the general population in compromising situations, such as sunbathing, skinny dipping and maybe even adults wondering around in their back yards in diapers - gasp!

What do you think? Is there a reason to fear these situations? Should there be specific laws for drones and the right to privacy? Perhaps there will be full sized drone type vehicles in the future to transport people?

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    What do you think of the future of drones? As drones become more popular, I see a whole flood of celebrity photos and websites (maybe there already is?) showing the general population in compromising situations, such as sunbathing, skinny dipping and maybe even adults wondering around in their back yards in diapers - gasp!

What do you think? Is there a reason to fear these situations? Should there be specific laws for drones and the right to privacy? Perhaps there will be full sized drone type vehicles in the future to transport people?
    I think the biggest problem drones will have is competing for airspace with commercial air traffic. I do think they will be used more and more in commerce, but I also think they are going to cause a lot of problems, and yes, I think they will compromise people's privacy. It almost makes one think of a new, Brave New Worlds.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought they would fly lower than commercial craft?

Then again, you can follow your kids when they're out and make sure they stay out of trouble.

Might be a valuable tool for first responders before they actually get there?

Won't take too many more incidents before it becomes heavily regulated, just like anything else in the air. Those regulations should protect privacy at least as a secondary effect, as more than likely extensive (and expensive) licensing, which will probably include an also expensive liability insurance requirement, will be required for anything flying above or around people.

I do think we will see a lot more commercial applications of drone tech. There are already companies using them to do inspections of hard to access places (smoke stacks, power lines, etc), and it's probably only a matter of time before they are equipped with tools to do routine maintenance.

The only real threat to privacy I see from drones will come from the media. I can definitely see news drones buzzing around in the future.

They are already heavily regulated, and I'm sure more is on the way. http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/facts/

I don't understand allot of the regulation, they want to keep people from flying into aircraft. You think law abiding citizens are going to be doing that? I think they should of just enforced the current laws instead of writing new more wide reaching ones.. The part that saddens me is you can't fly outside of you're sight. So you can't fly one to say a friends house for fun.

As far as peeping tom. If someone wants to see you nothing can stop them. It may be cool if they made it legal above you're land to control a small amount of airspace where you could destroy or take control of other peoples drones. //for people out in the country side not in urban areas.

Also if you're like hovering a drone outside a random persons house, then I would think that would classify at least as harassment if nothing else.

TLDR: I'd like to build a drone, but there is so much uncertainty with there future it's not worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by computerProgrammer View Post
    I don't understand allot of the regulation, they want to keep people from flying into aircraft. You think law abiding citizens are going to be doing that?
    Intentionally.. probably not, but accidents happen.

The real danger though is to people. A drone malfunctioning or crashing into structure is going to do a lot of damage when it comes down. A drone falling on a person or a car has a very real chance to cost lives. At the very least it can do plenty of property damage or start a fire. I think this is where we'll see the most regulation, and I'm honestly cool with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder
    The real danger though is to people. A drone malfunctioning or crashing into structure is going to do a lot of damage when it comes down. A drone falling on a person or a car has a very real chance to cost lives. At the very least it can do plenty of property damage or start a fire. I think this is where we'll see the most regulation, and I'm honestly cool with that.
    The thing is, that all the regulation is done nation wide. It makes sense for urban areas. But for like where I live. There are places where you may have to go 10 miles before seeing another house. Also they made no distinction between large fuel powered drones, and small battery powered ones, that I saw.

I can understand having to take a class or something to be able to fly one, like you have to do for hunting. But I don't like the idea of the possibility in the future of needing a lawyer and paying large amounts of money for a license, and fees that are done yearly.

I don't know, I just don't like the fact that every thing I want to do requires fees and yearly purchased licenses. And am worried drones will become no different. For example I started aquaponics recently, and to get tilapia we had to buy two licenses, which are naturally only good for a year. And take two weeks to obtain via phone and email tag with the state.

It's getting the point, where you throw a bucket in the yard. It starts to rain and you have to check if you're state allows you to collect rain water....

Tbh i could care less for unmanned aerial vehicles. Just so long as one is not hovering over my families living space and just spying on me ill be fine. granted this is just cause im pretty discrete about my activities and with where i live for good reason xD. If one decides to take a good long peek at my house i might be tempted to pull semi auto rifle on it...idk

There are so many possible uses for UAVs in my field of agriculture, but the uncertainty of the regulations is holding them back.

Google Earth anyone? We're already being watched to a great degree via manned aircraft, satellites, security cameras, redlight cameras, people with iphones, google glass. Drones don't move the privacy needle very much.

They do have potential as a public safety hazard. Hopefully that will be worked out, because I see them as a very useful tool in a lot of areas.